Thread: West Virginia Gets Castle Doctrine

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Story here: http://tinyurl.com/6636pz

Excerpted fromThe Register-Herald:

CHARLESTON — Lifetime National Rifle Association member Joe Manchin ceremoniously signed West Virginia’s version of the Castle Doctrine with a blunt warning Thursday to would-be home invaders.

“Don’t mess with us,” the governor cautioned while signing the bill...

“It’s part of our culture,” he said. “We’re just codifying in law what is the culture of West Virginia, that a person has a right to defend family and property, even with deadly force. That’s part of culture, without being sued and dragged off to prison. We did quite well on this.”

Manchin agreed, saying, “I think we’ve always felt that. We just now made it legal.”

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Its better than nothing, but its still too"watered down"for my liking. I would like to see WV pass a FL or TX style castle doctrine.

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Agent6-3/8 wrote:
    Its better than nothing, but its still too"watered down"for my liking. I would like to see WV pass a FL or TX style castle doctrine.
    Agent6-3/8,

What do you mean by "watered down" for your liking? Please explain (site examples). Thanks in advance!

2nd Amendment..........Use it..........Or, lose it!!:X
    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!

Post imported post

All this 'castle doctrine' did was explicitly put in writing what was already common law. The biggest issue, IMOis lack of protection from civil suits like is seen inmanystates with castle doctrines. Better than nothing, but its not what I and I know many other West Virginians would have liked to have seen. There's always next year though, and I know the WVCDL is going to beworking hard to improve it.