• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CNN Documentary "Campus Rage"

Sleepless

imported post

It seems that after Virginia Tech, Danny Kim, another asian man became depressed, suicidal and thought that everybody else would see him as another Cho because he was also asian, a friend of his from an online game emailed Virginia Tech stating that his friend studied at Virginia Tech and was suicidal and asked them to help, all they did after the second email was to dispatch the police to do a welfare check which lasted about 45 seconds and Danny Kim in the end commited suicide with a gun in his parents car 7 miles away from campus.

This is absolutely crazy.

Is anybody else watching this Documentary??

imperialism2024

imported post

I'll wait for it to get on YouTube... :)

But from the sounds of it, Virginia Tech may have even overreacted. I don't see mental health being a police issue... and if you summary is correct (?), he ended up harming no one in the end except himself.

Hell, I had the suicide po-po called on me last year by some "friends" of mine who thought I was depressed and wanted to kill myself because I insisted on going to bed early a particular weekend and not going out and drinking myself silly. :banghead:

The point is, you can't micromanage peoples' lives. That's why we arm ourselves.

Sleepless

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
I'll wait for it to get on YouTube... :)

But from the sounds of it, Virginia Tech may have even overreacted. I don't see mental health being a police issue... and if you summary is correct (?), he ended up harming no one in the end except himself.

Hell, I had the suicide po-po called on me last year by some "friends" of mine who thought I was depressed and wanted to kill myself because I insisted on going to bed early a particular weekend and not going out and drinking myself silly. :banghead:

The point is, you can't micromanage peoples' lives. That's why we arm ourselves.
I took it straight from the Documentary, they also talked about carrying on campus and one of the Student Affairs staff talked her negative feelings about it and that it would be hard with legislation and 18 yr olds carrying a gun on campus so in essence, she had absolutely no idea what she was talking about.

Well at least I created this thread so we can talk about the documentary here if anybody wants to. :)