• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Southwest Virginia

cmbf117

imported post

I couldn't find the old one, and I have an experience to share, so I started a new one. :)

I ran a few errands today, and in the process I OCed at one of the Blacksburg Krogers, the Quiznos in the same area, and for a few hours at Walmart in Christiansburg while food shopping. I actually got a comment this time, first one, but it was positive. A gentleman asked me, "17 or 22?" (referring to my Glock), and I said it was neither, a 19. For a second I think he thought I said 18, and offered to be my best buddy on the spot. :lol:I corrected him, though, and we chatted for a little bit. This was all at the ammo counter...they've been out of 9mm for a long time, and still are. :(

Also made a tidy profit during a home poker game. All in all a pretty good Friday. :D

VTNGNR

imported post

As of last week, they are still out of 9. I wonder if that's intentional, as part of the WalMart's liberal take on the gun issue. Hop on over to Dick's they've got a good supply. Or take a run up to Gander in Roanoke, they're got better prices.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wal-Mart ain't gonna stop selling ammo anytime soon. They are one of the nation's largest retailers of ammo.

I just bought 2 boxes of Winchester White Box 9mm a few days ago in Yorktown's Wal-Mart (while open carrying, FWIW).

cmbf117

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Wal-Mart ain't gonna stop selling ammo anytime soon. They are one of the nation's largest retailers of ammo.

I just bought 2 boxes of Winchester White Box 9mm a few days ago in Yorktown's Wal-Mart (while open carrying, FWIW).
I just got 2 of the 100 round value packs this weekend. They had recently restocked them (along with some UMC) for the first time in months. Made me happy. :)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Add http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/10887.htmlto your list of SW Va open carry experiences. Not counting the6Town Council members, mayor,and Chief of Police (their ONLY cop), I counted 3 members of the press, 1 secretary, 5 citizens of the town and 14 VCDL members/supporters inside the room (legal occupancy limited to 30) and at least a dozen VCDL members/supporters who had to stay outside.

Before the meeting I OC'd at the Subway about 1/2-way across town from the Town Hall (maybe 100 yards straight line distance :what:) and at the local gas station without any negative comments or folks swooning. Had dinner at the Franklin Restaurant up the road a piece and was warmly welcomed by both waitresses, and some guy from the kitchen came out as I was leaving to shake my hand and say he thinks OC is a good idea "especially with all the stuff that is happening nowdays." Also, one of the "regulars" there (young man who appeared to be either Down Syndrome or mildly retarded) kept looking at me and smiling while I ate my supper.

Only negative was one elderly woman (town matriarch?) who kept on saying she was intimidated by us citizens OC-ing, but admitted that the wheelgun on the Chief's hip did not bother her at all.

stay safe.

skidmark