• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cheeseburger in Paradise

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

asforme wrote:
I am contacting CiP via their contact page on their website: http://www.cheeseburgerinparadise.com/contactus.asp

Here's what I've said.
On April 11, 2008 around 6:00 PM I was embarrassed to be refused service at your restaurant in Charlottesville, Virginia. The manager incorrectly accused me of violating state law and proceeded to ask me to leave.

Please inform all of the managers of your Virginia restaurants that Virginia state law prohibits the concealed carry of a firearm, but does not address firearms carried openly. If you are unsure of the wording of the Virginia law please see this letter from the Director of the Law Enforcement Bureau. http://www.vcdl.org/letters/ABC_Letter.pdf

Secondly I respect the rights of your business to prohibit firearms on your property, but I would like clarification as to your official policy regarding this issue. If it is, in fact, your policy that you do not allow firearms, I and many others who choose to carry a handgun for self-defense would appreciate it if you would make this policy clear in the form of an obvious sign near your entrance so that we can avoid entering your restaurant in the first place and save ourselves the time and embarrassment of being asked to leave.

Thank you for your time and attention to this issue.
I'll update with a response if I get one.
Good letter!

I might suggest in the future you don't offer the option of posting a sign. Simply state that if it is their policy, you will inform your circle of acquaintances. You see, if they post a sign, they could say they have given constructive notice. If they don't post a sign, others can go in and ask for refunds if they're refused service. I'm all for hitting them in the pocketbook.

Another good tactic is to get a group together and visit a competitor, then mail the receipt.

Still, I'll be interested in hearing what they have to say. Never been there, never seen one, but I guess I probably won't now, either.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's a personal preference. I would like to know that I am not welcome before I and my family sit down and start choosing what we want to eat. If it was just me, it wouldn't be a big deal, but I get my son settled down and find a good spot for his carrier, my wife settles in and stuffs the diaper bag under the table and then being told to get up and leave is just frustrating. However I tried to make it clear that a sign would hit them in the pocketbook because I and many others will not be going through any doors with a no firearms sign.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

dixiehacker wrote:
I know that some people have had better luck at the one in Fredericksburg.

At the risk of being flamed, I have a theory that 90% of restaurant owners wouldn't allow carry in their restaurant. The corollary is 99% of people are either too oblivious to their surroundings to notice when someone is carrying, or too brainwashed to think that anyone besides a cop would carry a gun on the outside of his pants.

Rubbish, I have yet to be asked to leave from a restaurant (knock on wood). On the contrary when asked about the weapon I answer politely back and have a very good discussion with a manager that MAY approach. I have at times asked if they want me to leave and they say -"NO, Please stay and enjoy the food"

TJ

72Malibu

imported post

Good letter. However, I would have cited the estimated number of concealed carry permit holders and open carriers in VA and worded it as "so that I and the estimatedxnumber of concealed carriers and xnumber of open carriers can avoid the time and embarassment of patronizing your establishment". or something to that effect.

Then, they can take those estimated numbers and multiply them by the average cost of a 1-person meal to figure out the minimum amount of money they would be losing... not including the money lost from those people NOT bringing their friends and family along with them.

:p

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
dixiehacker wrote:
I know that some people have had better luck at the one in Fredericksburg.

At the risk of being flamed, I have a theory that 90% of restaurant owners wouldn't allow carry in their restaurant. The corollary is 99% of people are either too oblivious to their surroundings to notice when someone is carrying, or too brainwashed to think that anyone besides a cop would carry a gun on the outside of his pants.

Rubbish, I have yet to be asked to leave from a restaurant (knock on wood). On the contrary when asked about the weapon I answer politely back and have a very good discussion with a manager that MAY approach. I have at times asked if they want me to leave and they say -"NO, Please stay and enjoy the food"

TJ
Well, I have been kicked out. When it happened I tried to be polite and explain the law, but it didn't work. Perhaps it is because I am younger.

72Malibu

imported post

I have yet to have a negative experience personally, but if/when I do, I intend to be as polite and cordial as possible.

I see it as setting an example. If the management wants to be unreasonable and unaccomodating, just remain calm and polite. Chances are that attention is going to be drawn to you and by remaining civil, polite and level-headed, you may as a result make the management look less than accomodating and reasonable in comparison.

If you're unable to gain any ground, I'd just say to calmly leave... requesting a check for ONLY the food/drink that you have consumed, pay and leave, making sure to wish the management a good evening/afternoon/morning, but nothing like "see you later" or anything that could be interpreted as saying that you will again patronize the establishment.

Other people may have varying opinions, but I believe that one should try to show as much respect to others as possible, even if they're not responding in kind. That way, they're always going to appear to be more unreasonable.

No matter how you slice it: age, carrying of a firearm... I think it's discrimination. Granted, it may not be socially viewed as such, but I believe it is and is just one example of the many forms of discrimination that seem to socially be viewed as acceptable. Smoking is another example, however, there are a lot of what I call "inconsiderate smokers" out there who don't make an effort to be aware of people around them when they smoke... like watching which direction their smoke is blowing.

Sorry... I was in a discussion with a coworker yesterday about the new forms of socially acceptable discrimination prevalent in society today and got carried away... I'll step down off of the soapbox now. ;)