• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking at buying an OC piece

Cadet Higham

imported post

Hello again,

After much pondering, discussion with my wife, and thought, I'm going to begin OC'ing after a little more instruction, practice and studying of the law. Because I am 19, I cannot purchase a handgun from a dealer, and am looking into purchasing one. Also, is there any info on good places to go for instruction and shooting?

Thanks everyone :celebrate.

b1ack5mith

imported post

i sold a highpoint a few months back, but i suggest not paying anything less than 300 for a handgun that you wish to OC. im 19 too, and ive been carrying for about 5 months? somethin like that, but only 1 major encounter. if you let the police KNOW that you know the law, youll have no problems... if they know you DONT know the law, they will take advantage of you.

KSL.com, check out the guns in the classifieds, really good deals.

good luck!

xmirage2kx

imported post

KSL usually has a poor selection and high prices. Many of the guns are priced higher than new, and you often have to drive all over the state.

Sure you can find a deal on some less popular models, but throw in gas and that new one is looking better and better.

xmirage2kx

imported post

I need to add that I have bought good guns from KSL atgreat prices, but the good deals are always gone in the first few hours.

ScottyT

imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
I need to add that I have bought good guns from KSL atgreat prices, but the good deals are always gone in the first few hours.

+1. The only way KSL will do you any good is if you check it as often as possible. I sit at a desk all day (for now) and I refresh it every 15-30 minutes, or whenever I have a bit of downtime.

Cadet Higham

imported post

Alright, thank you for the good advice. I bought a Hi-point C9-9mm from a nice gentleman in Logan. Now all I need is some adequate range/class time and a nice holster.
Thank you all!
Any more suggestions?

xmirage2kx

imported post

Cadet Higham wrote:
Alright, thank you for the good advice. I bought a Hi-point C9-9mm from a nice gentleman in Logan. Now all I need is some adequate range/class time and a nice holster.
Thank you all!
Any more suggestions?

for the hipoint the fobus holster is one of the better ones you can get (that and vega, but the vega is $60, fobus is $25). Stay away from uncle mikes holsters (for the hipoint) as they can press the mag release button on that gun. Neither are good retention holsters for OC, but they will work. Continue to save up some money and get a better carry gun when you can (since you can sell that hipoint for the same amount you bought it for at any time you can count that $ in your savings too).

Oh, and enjoy your gun. :celebrate

b1ack5mith

imported post

WELL... yes, you can buy a brand new one for more... and also REGISTER it... however, i dont like the government knowing that i have a handgun... (well you have to be 21 in the first place to buy from a dealer) id rather buy a used, in good condition-handgun that isnt registered. they say they "keep your name on file for a month" which is bull, they keep it forever... the person who told me shall remain nameless :)

xmirage2kx

imported post

Well time to take off the tinfoil hat, worse case is you buy a new gun, they come to you asking for it and you say you sold it. If they are going to do a house to house search you are screwed anyways. After all it is easy to track you down online, and how many times have you met people on here and went to events or went shooting and even got yourself in the news. If I were big brother I could have reposed your gun 3x now :what:

If you wanna remain under the radar front page news is not the way to do it :banghead:

(FYI: if you are under 21 used is the only way to do it, but big brother shouldn't be the reason)