• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Pistol Today

bradco

imported post

:celebrateAfter getting my permit yesterday, I picked up my first Pistol, I decided on the Glock 27 as I have been reading some great things on it, also the FFL I went to also gave me a more understanding of it and it great points, I am looking forward to my Lunch breaks at the range as I work a couple of blocks from one, I also had the pleasure of holding a Ruger LCP .380, I think that will be the next one as a good concealment carry weapon for times wen the appropriate clothing is not being worn.

bradco

imported post

Thanks, the store I was in olny had 2 but since I wanted the Glock first he will be getting more next week as while I was in there those 2 went real quick, nice feel and size and if it is anything like the Ruger reputation I have read, it should be a popular backup

Euromutt

imported post

Congratulations! A friend of mine CCs a G27, she's very happy with it. I have to say that a subcompact in .40 would not have been my choice for a first handgun, but if it works for you, it works.

G27

imported post

Given my screen name it's not too hard to hide what I carry daily. The Glock 27 is a bit snappy when you first fire it. But with use you adapt to it and it can be a wonderful everyday carry gun, especially when you are forced to conceal.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

bradco wrote:
:celebrateAfter getting my permit yesterday, I picked up my first Pistol, I decided on the Glock 27 as I have been reading some great things on it, also the FFL I went to also gave me a more understanding of it and it great points, I am looking forward to my Lunch breaks at the range as I work a couple of blocks from one, I also had the pleasure of holding a Ruger LCP .380, I think that will be the next one as a good concealment carry weapon for times wen the appropriate clothing is not being worn.

Congrats:celebrate. So from now and on DO NOT buy a gun from a gun store but from the private market. So that yourweapon won't be registered.

TJ

bradco

imported post

But doesn't that defeat the purpose of carrying legally, or am I missing something, I do not want to break the law

UTOC-45-44

imported post

bradco wrote:
But doesn't that defeat the purpose of carrying legally, or am I missing something, I do not want to break the law

Unless your state REQUIRES to "register" your weapons. Which we don't have to do here in Utah. We don't have firearms registration. Yet it's a LEGAL weapon.:celebrate

TJ

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

bradco wrote:
I have owned two G27's and one G26 over the years. I still have a new model G27 and G26 in my collection. My G27 has become my most carried weapon since last fall. I would suggest that you consider the Pierce +1 magazine extension. It makes a nice place to put your little finger and helps steady the gun during fire.

Enjoy!

bradco

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Thanks for the advice, the FFL suggested the same, I had one installed
bradco wrote:
After getting my permit yesterday, I picked up my first Pistol, I decided on the Glock 27 as I have been reading some great things on it, also the FFL I went to also gave me a more understanding of it and it great points, I am looking forward to my Lunch breaks at the range as I work a couple of blocks from one, I also had the pleasure of holding a Ruger LCP .380, I think that will be the next one as a good concealment carry weapon for times wen the appropriate clothing is not being worn.
I have owned two G27's and one G26 over the years. I still have a new model G27 and G26 in my collection. My G27 has become my most carried weapon since last fall. I would suggest that you consider the Pierce +1 magazine extension. It makes a nice place to put your little finger and helps steady the gun during fire.

Enjoy!

glockrocker

imported post

Congrats! I'm quite a big fan of Glocks myself (as if you couldn't tell).

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
bradco wrote:

Congrats:celebrate. So from now and on DO NOT buy a gun from a gun store but from the private market. So that yourweapon  won't be registered.

TJ

+1
The government has no business knowing what I own. I've acquired all of my guns in private sales, except for a cheap plinkster I bought when I first turned 18.

SickTag

imported post

Congrats bradco. Where do you live that you have to buy a permit? I live in New Mexico and am unfamiliar with alot of the permits required for other states. When I bought my 9mm I just showed up with the cash, picked the gun that felt right and was good for me, they did the FBI background check and I bought ammo and a holster and was out of there in about 15 minutes. I also heard that some states have a waiting period.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
bradco wrote:

Congrats:celebrate. So from now and on DO NOT buy a gun from a gun store but from the private market. So that yourweapon won't be registered.

TJ
Private sales are definitely a good way to buy weapons providing you trust the seller that the weapon is in fine condition.

As for registration, we don't have that here in Virginia, though like everywhere else there is the dreaded 4473 form (and the state form, too).

bradco

imported post

I am in Connecticut and to Carry you need a CCW and pistols do not need to be registered but I think it is a good Idea to have it registered in the case it ever gets stolen or lost,

Flintlock

imported post

bradco wrote:
I am in Connecticut and to Carry you need a CCW and pistols do not need to be registered but I think it is a good Idea to have it registered in the case it ever gets stolen or lost,
Intentionally having your guns registered is not necessary. Just keep a record of the make, model, and serial number of your firearms. Pictures would help too. Keep the information secure, like in a safety deposit box. Keep your guns at home in a safe and keep your carry gun with you. It shouldn't be easy to have your firearms stolen.

If one doesgets stolen, you would simplyreport it as such with the information you had. You never want to voluntarily "register" your guns to a government entity. Throughout history, registration has ledto confiscation and if anything terrible were to happen in America, you would be first in line. That's if you are even able to register them. Being that Conneticut doesn't have that requirement, they may not have the ability to maintain such records, I don't know...

Euromutt

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Intentionally having your guns registered is not necessary. Just keep a record of the make, model, and serial number of your firearms. Pictures would help too. Keep the information secure, like in a safety deposit box. [...]

If one doesgets stolen, you would simplyreport it as such with the information you had.
The federal DoJ puts out a personal firearms record form for the explicit purpose of being able to provide information to law enforcement in the event that any of your firearms are stolen. It's a fillable .pdf, so it's really easy to update, and you can just print a copy whenever you alter anything in it.

bradco

imported post

Where do I find such private sales, Gun Broker or Gunsamerica, or Gun Shows? I am looking for my next one, I would like to get a Revolver

CRF250rider1000

imported post

bradco wrote:
Where do I find such private sales, Gun Broker or Gunsamerica, or Gun Shows? I am looking for my next one, I would like to get a Revolver
You and me both:banghead:Gun broker needs a copy of a FFL liscense I believe and gun shows run a background check unless you can find someone walking around at the show with what you want.

nova

imported post

I've found that online gun message boards (Like GlockTalk, TheHighRoad, TheFiringLine, AR15.com, etc.) are a good spot to look for private sales. All of those sites have sections specifically for firearms listings, so you just have to look for one that is in your state so you won't have to do an FFL transfer.

That is how I found my Smith 64-5 .38spl revolver. I have a few other pistols I received from my parents too, also in private transfers.

Only gun I've bought from an FFL was my shotgun when I turned 18.

I'm a little finicky about buying from an FFL in virginia since we have that separate state form that goes to the state police for "further investigations" :uhoh:
and while I have no criminal history or anything bad to hide from them, I have a feeling they hold onto those forms anyhow just like I'm sure the ATF does with their information they're supposed to destroy.