Thread: Michigan is open carry?

Post imported post

First I wanted to say, great site! It's nice to see people in America still have common sense. Now the question. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression that because Michigan is a open carry state, that means I can have my 1911 on my hip, not concealed, while I walk in public and in stores, etc? Why don't I see people doing that? I thought you weren't allowed to have it out in public at all. I just registered here5 minutes ago so if this isn't in the right spot, my bad. Brandon

Post imported post

You can walk down the street, but not into a store that sells booze, unless you have a CPL.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    You can walk down the street, but not into a store that sells booze, unless you have a CPL.
    Only if the store has a license for on-site consumption and its primary source of income (51%) is from alcohol (OC without CPL).

In this case, OC with CPL, is good to go, unless you are asked to leave (the trespassing thing).

Post imported post

I spoke to a St.Clair Shores Police Officer about open carrying of a weapon,he said and I quote "it isn't against the law but you will get arrested,you'll have to go to court and spend money on court costs,you'll have your weapon confiscated for a period of time etc". I think it's a bunch of B.S. personally but that's what he said.

Post imported post

Michigan is very much open carry, check out the state specific forums for lots of great info.
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/

that means I can have my 1911 on my hip, not concealed, while I walk in public and in stores, etc? Yes. Why don't I see people doing that? they don't know the law, the don't like OC, they don't carry period, guns are bad, etc... I thought you weren't allowed to have it out in public at all. Show the world what you've been hiding. It feels great.