• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan is open carry?

pbnationrc

imported post

First I wanted to say, great site! It's nice to see people in America still have common sense. Now the question. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression that because Michigan is a open carry state, that means I can have my 1911 on my hip, not concealed, while I walk in public and in stores, etc? Why don't I see people doing that? I thought you weren't allowed to have it out in public at all. I just registered here5 minutes ago so if this isn't in the right spot, my bad. Brandon

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Michigander wrote:
You can walk down the street, but not into a store that sells booze, unless you have a CPL.

Only if the store has a license for on-site consumption and its primary source of income (51%) is from alcohol (OC without CPL).

In this case, OC with CPL, is good to go, unless you are asked to leave (the trespassing thing).

PKtheRipper

imported post

I spoke to a St.Clair Shores Police Officer about open carrying of a weapon,he said and I quote "it isn't against the law but you will get arrested,you'll have to go to court and spend money on court costs,you'll have your weapon confiscated for a period of time etc". I think it's a bunch of B.S. personally but that's what he said.

kmcdowel

imported post

Michigan is very much open carry, check out the state specific forums for lots of great info.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/

that means I can have my 1911 on my hip, not concealed, while I walk in public and in stores, etc? Yes. Why don't I see people doing that? they don't know the law, the don't like OC, they don't carry period, guns are bad, etc... I thought you weren't allowed to have it out in public at all. Show the world what you've been hiding. It feels great.