• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why open carry in Delaware?

mkl

imported post

Hawker wrote:
I've been a long time reader of this forum section and several other areas here. I am a new poster though.

My question is why open carry? Delaware is not a hard state to get your permit. Why open yourself up to false arrests, hassles, and the like? Just get the permit and don't worry about it. Then... add on PA and FL and you are good to go.

Any takers?

I suspect if you are really a long time reader, you have heard all of the reasons.
1. Maybe you can't get a permit
2. Maybe you don't have/don't want to spend money for a permit
3. Political activism
4. You believe OC is a better crime deterrent
5. You don't want to have to "ask" the government for permission by getting a permit.
6. It can be more comfortable
7. You have really nice wood grips on your pistol and you want to show them off

rady8um

imported post

It's expensive.

IIRC, you needfive references.

Your name, address, and intent to get a CCPmust bepublished in a paper with a certain size circulation.

there may be other requirements/restrictions, those listed arewhat I know off the top of my head.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

To quote a much expressed line, "What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you not understand?"

Yata hey

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

No human progress is driven by satisfied people. The desire to improve something takes effort to build a consensus. That effort is carried out in many ways; political, social, and economic pressures are applied. Most of the folks on this forum use all of these tools to advance the rights of all of us, and not just for open carry. Our rights weren't granted on the basis of being easy or safe.
Is it easier to CC, yes. But its not as efficient to accomplish all of the benefits of OC.

1. OC actively deters, CC deters only passively
2. OC desensitizes LEO and citizen, CC does not
3. OC presents chances to educate
4. OC means a faster draw
5. OC can give you a sense of accomplishment after a well-handled interaction
Oh, and what they said above.

CC if you wish, OC is you can. Either way, good luck

mkl

imported post

Hawker wrote:
What do you think about having a DE Permit to open carry? It could be an endorsement to the CCDW Permit. I believe Texas handles it this way in their state.

I think less people would have heartburn about the whole open carry thing if those open carrying had a permit to do so. It would certainly make passage alot easier if law enforcement was shown your permit if there was ever a problem.

I'm a big fan of the 2nd and even a bigger fan of living peacebly with your neighbors and friends. I don't see where a permit to open carry would be that big of a deal. Of course, I would really like to see the state go to shall issue.

Would you carry concealed or open if you had a permit allowing you to do either?

Look at the reasons I listed. A permit to open carry negates several of them.

In addition how long will the permit take? Does that mean that if you are threatened directly by someone, that you have to wait for your new open carry permit to come back? How long is that? 30 days? 2 weeks? For that amount of time your ability to protect yourself is forfeit?

Who gets to decide who gets a permit? Will you have to be fingerprinted? What hoops will they make you jump through? Will they make the hoops just restrictive enough and just costly enough to discourage most people from being able to do it?

This is just another example of, if there is no reason to get the government involved, why would you do it? There would now be a new law imposed upon people to restrict what they can already do now, all in the name of making a few people "feel better"?

zoom6zoom

imported post

Sounds good to me... it works for Vermont and Alaska. Having to get government permission to exercise an Constitutionally protected right is BS.

(edit - mkl hit the Post button faster than I did...)

mkl

imported post

Hawker wrote:
Given the choice - what do you prefer, open or concealed?

Depends on the situation for me.
It is always going to be faster for me to draw OC.
It is always more comfortable to OC.
Concealing has the advantageous you typically see listed everywhere else.
Use the right tool for the job, sometimes thats CC, sometimes thats OC.

Armed4Life

imported post

What do you think about having a DE Permit for free speech? It could be an endorsement to the freedom of religion permit. I believe China handles it this way in their country.

I think less people would have heartburn about the whole free speech thing if those speaking freely had a permit to do so. It would certainly make passage alot easier if law enforcement was shown your permit if there was ever a problem. Right now, LEO's don't have any idea who it is that is speaking freely. Plan on being detained until they sort it out. I know Article 1, but do they? A permit could make things easier.. a lot easier for all.

Substitute any of the other rights in the constitution and see if you feel the same way.

mkl

imported post

Hawker wrote:
I think open carry is way too confrontational in my state of Delaware. It's not about the exercizing of one's constitutional rights and such. It's about who is actually carrying. It could be anyone who wants to strap it on....criminal or otherwise.  No checks.. no proven proficiency... possibly nothing except to prove it can be done. Sort of like borderline brandishing and flaunting the law.

Anyone who is serious about carrying here will get a CCDW Permit and carry concealed. The open carry crowd sends the wrong message about guns. The public doesn't understand, the police don't understand, and I think it is a situation looking for trouble.

Why don't you spend more time working on the shall issue aspect of carrying in Delaware instead of testing the system?

Ahh...the truth comes out. You're just another troll.

mkl

imported post

Hawker wrote:
No troll here... I did my Delaware thing and I prefer to conceal. Why attract unneccesary attention to yourself?

I know more about carrying and guns than probably most of you on here.  So don't pull out the troll thing.

You are a troll. You did not come here to discuss and learn more about OC. You came here to ignore everything we said, and to push your own agenda.
This site is about opencarry. You came here and posted like you have read the site and wanted to engage in conversation about why people OC. Then you ignore every post about the advantages and insult us. You are a troll. You have no interest in learning about OC. Go Away.

Lthrnck

imported post

Hawker,

In most states, it's a constituional "RIGHT" to "OPENLY"carry.Some states even have proven court cases that say CONCEALED carry is not a protected "RIGHT", that's why 40 plus statespassed CONCEALED CARRY laws.

If the Anti-Gunners, which I suspect your more on their side then ours... Gets your "RIGHT" to carry"OPENLY"repealed, how long do you think it will take them to get your "PRIVILIGE" to "CARRY CONCEALED" REVOKED?

EVERYONE needs to keep this in mind. If they get our RIGHT to carry, it will onlybe a blink of the eye until they REVOKE our Privilige.