• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Member and About to OC to the Grocery Store

thefirststrike

imported post

SO, I am new member to the site. I have been reading some of the old posts.

I am right now trying to get up the courage to OC to the grocery store, but I live in liberal Moscow and I am not sure how it will go over. I have seen someone OC'ing in that store before, and no one said a word as far as I know. I am not going to tell my wife because I am afraid she will flip out. What do you think?

How did you all handle your first OC?

thefirststrike

imported post

Well, I OC'ed into my local grocery store. This is the first time aside from when I have been hunting and in camo (usually in a convenience store or gas station), when people in this area expect it anyway. I was in there for less than 10 minutes, only had a few things to get, but no one seemed to notice or care. It is Mom's weekend at WSU too, so there more than the usual amount of people in the store.I have to say that, even at my age, that was pretty nerve racking.

Another question to anyone who cares to answer...How did you feel before, while and/or after your first OC? Were you nervour, afraid you would get called out or LEO's would be called? I am curious how people felt.

Thanks

41 Magnum

imported post

The biggest key?

Act normal. Act like the gun is always there, just like you wear socks.

If you act jumpy or nervous about it, or keep putting your hand on it, folks will start wondering why. If you act like it's S.O.P. to have the gun on your hip, you'll likely have no trouble.

Yes, the first OC can be a little rough on the nerves. Mine was, that's for sure. Fast forward a few years-- It's normal now, no biggie. Same as the first timeI CCW'd.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You might want to browse through the Virginia threads because there's always a newbie or two there who wants advice and support. We have some liberal sections up in the northern part of the state that can be a challenge to some, but for the most part people have no real trouble.

Smile. Relax. Dress well and be polite. And remember: YOU ARE NOT BREAKING ANY LAW! YOU ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG! Appear calm and confident, and before very long that pistol that feels like a small howitzer with a flashing neon sign saying "gun" will feel no more unusual than your cell phone.

thefirststrike

imported post

You know, the funny part is, I was an MP in the Army, so it isn't like I am unaccustomed to carrying a sidearm. But it is different whenyou are in a uniform, because everyone knows you are "allowed" to have it. But I did manage to keep from touching it. I did just like you said, I acted like it wasn't even there, like it was nothing more than a piece of clothing or a cellphone.

I have CC'ed before (without a license) and the first time I did I kept brushing it with my elbow, as if it might magically disappear unless I kept checking (probably because I knew I wasn't supposed to be doing it and I wondered if anyone could tell I was wearing it). But I didn't do that this time.

Thanks for the response.

thefirststrike

imported post

Dutch

I did make it a point before I went to dress in a nice pair of jeans and a good shirt. No sweats or raggedy clothes. I even bought new shoes last week so they are bright and shiny!! LOL

Re: my previous response, I meant that I acted like it belonged there, not like it wasn't there. There is a difference.

I have worn it enough times that it doesn't quite feel like a howitzer, but I definitely know it's there. It is a Ruger P89 and fully loaded it is a bit heavy, and also a little thicker than the .45 I used to carry way back when I was in the Army.

Thanks for the response.

thefirststrike

imported post

Maybe. We will probably be the only two in this town OC'ing...LOL. Watch out if we both end up in the same place at the same time, in this town they will probably call in the National Guard!

protector84

imported post

I'm still somewhat new to OC myself as it has only been about a year or so that I've been doing it. It does seem to get better with practice especially when you are doing so in the same areas and same establishments because it becomes more and more second-nature. It is when going into new environments and new establishments that I do get a little more nervous because you don't know whether or not it is prohibited and you are dealing with another sector of the general public who you don't know yet how they will act. I guess it is safe to say that OC is not for shy people. You have to get used to being the center of attention almost like as if you are a celebrity but not quite that extreme. You have to be psychologically fit to handle large amounts of stares as well as being able to successfully deal with confrontations from strangers. All of this is probably good practice because if you are going to be responsible enough to carry a firearm in public, you need to be able to use it if you have to, and likewise if you are not confident enough to deal with the general public and their idiocy, then you probably won't be able to deal with a real criminal properly.

The reason I would say it is typical to be a bit nervous when OCing in a new establishment or environment is because it creates a potential conflict of interest. Your mission is simply to go into the store to buy groceries and then go home or otherwise on about your business. If people start hassling you orespecially if it gets to the point where security is asking you to leave, you have not only wasted a lot of time but also added stress to your own life. If you are able to both CC and OC, sometimes it might be better to CC the first time in any new territory to get the feel of it first, then OC if you feel comfortable there the second time, or if you don't feel comfortable I would not go there a second time.

On another note, I would treat public property very different from private property in terms of how I view OC. On private property, they are giving you permission to be there and to OC and if they don't like how you act, they can ask you to leave. On public property such as walking down the street, you can do whatever the hell you please as long as you are not breaking any laws. There really is no reason to act nervous or try to be extra polite in that regards. They have the right to their idiotic opinions just as much as you have the right to bear arms. If they exercize their free speech against your freedom to bear arms, you can also use your free speech and tell them to "shove it." I asked a police officer one time if it would be an issue OCing while at a public parade. He basically said just what I said--that it is legal and if people don't like it, tough.

This is supposed to be the land of the free, home of the brave, not the land of the offended, home of the scared.

G27

imported post

thefirststrike,

Welcome to the open carry community! I would like to invite you to come join us on the Washington forums and the Idaho forums, as well. There are many specific threads relating to carrying in Moscow/Pullman area. I have frequently carried in Moscow area and have only been confronted once, which just happened to be at a meeting with a group of other OC'ers from the area. Idaho is a GoldStar state so I wouldn't gather you having any trouble whatsoever from the police. Regardless, come visit us down in the state forums.

Dave

thefirststrike

imported post

Protector84 thanks for the advice. I am sure it will just take a little time for me to get accustomed to it, especially waiting to see if anyone "freaks" or call LE.

G27, thanks for the welcome.

DaveR

N00blet45

imported post

I'm still new to open carrying but it wasn't too rough when I first did it. I was a little apprehensive the first time but after the second, third, and so on it just becomes second nature. I think it helps to live in a state like Kentucky since here the only places off-limits to openly carried firearms are schools and bars. I don't have to think too much about if it is legal to carry into an establishment so the first few times I wasn't worrying about if I was committing a felony without knowing it. Knowing the law definitely helps.

bourneshooter

imported post

Since you guys are my fellow Idaho residents, I must welcome you and invite you to the Idaho section of the forum. We have quite the posting group and if you have questions on ID laws most of us have studied this stuff alot.

Welcome and keep OC'ing!

thefirststrike

imported post

Bourne and Saint, and everyone else

Thanks for the Idaho welcome. Unfortunately I just got some bad news tonight and I will be off the forum for awhile. I was looking forward to some friendly banter and whatnot, but I doubt I will in the mood for awhile. I will return though.

DaveR

ron-357

imported post

I too am very new to open carrying. Actually, new handgun owner. I was one of the people who watched the news and when certain crimes were committed against the citizens, I would always say, "See that's why everyone should be carrying a firearm." So, last month, when I purchased my first handgun, I realized that I would be a hypocrite if I was not making an effort to carry my firearm.

I was a little (OK a lot) concerned about what might happen if I did OC. I live in the upper Ohio Valley, in Ohio but just next to Wheeling, WV and I have never seen anyone OC - EVER! Also people here are very ignorant of the laws, and although many would say that they are conservative, they are far from it (and God forbid, we ever offend someone).

I have only OC a few times in the last few weeks (Mostly because I cannot most places). I have OCed in the grocery store with no problem; the places that gave me a problem were Cabela's and a local Sporting Goods store, both sell firearms!

At Cabela's it was one of the employees from the firearms department that made a fuss. I wrote a letter (email) to Cabela's to see if they prohibit OC since the employee could not answer, but was not letting me out of arms length while I was there. Of course NO REPLY. At my local gun shop I got the same response, "Are you a LEO?" "NO, Well isn't that supposed to be concealed and were is your CCL?" I politely answered back, "I open carry." And, at both places with a degrading look and tone : "Well, I don't think you can do that!"

How come that the one who sell the guns, do not know the gun laws???

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

ron-357 wrote:
I have only OC a few times in the last few weeks (Mostly because I cannot most places). I have OCed in the grocery store with no problem; the places that gave me a problem were Cabela's and a local Sporting Goods store, both sell firearms!

At Cabela's it was one of the employees from the firearms department that made a fuss. I wrote a letter (email) to Cabela's to see if they prohibit OC since the employee could not answer, but was not letting me out of arms length while I was there. Of course NO REPLY. At my local gun shop I got the same response, "Are you a LEO?" "NO, Well isn't that supposed to be concealed and were is your CCL?" I politely answered back, "I open carry." And, at both places with a degrading look and tone : "Well, I don't think you can do that!"

How come that the one who sell the guns, do not know the gun laws???

About Cabela's:

"We have made the decision to comply with state laws in regards to open carry. We do not ask customers to check concealed or open carry weapons where the state has laws governing this situation. Our signs refer to firearms that are being returned or sold to Cabela's.
For any further information contact the Gonzales store manager. We do not have information on each individual state."

This came directly from Cabela's corperate in an email.

Secondly, the owner's of gunstore's not knowing the laws is fairly common. Many of the gunstores down here know that OC is legal, but say that if you do you'll get arrested and slapped with a "disturbing the peace" charge. Now, if they would encourage it, and spread the word to all the LEO's that come into their store, or make a sign or pamphlet or something, things would be a lot nicer.

But sadly, many gunstores don't want people OCing,or evenknowing about OC, because as soon as your states government passes that anti-gun bill, the gunstores are the ones that will see a loss in profit.

Euromutt

imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
But sadly, many gunstores don't want people OCing,or evenknowing about OC, because as soon as your states government passes that anti-gun bill, the gunstores are the ones that will see a loss in profit.
Sorry, but the only way that makes sense is if you're asserting that an increase in the number of citizens OCing will directly cause state legislatures to pass more restrictive gun control measures. Is that what you're suggesting?

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Euromutt wrote:
WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
Sorry, but the only way that makes sense is if you're asserting that an increase in the number of citizens OCing will directly cause state legislatures to pass more restrictive gun control measures. Is that what you're suggesting?

If people are getting arrested for it, then yes. If they aren't, I don't see how it could, unless the soccer moms are feeling the urge to stir the pot.

Keep in mind, I'm relating this to Louisiana, where OC is pretty shunned by the police, and will consider you a threat if you OC.

royAG46

imported post

Yeah, I routinely OC into places like convenience stores, car parts stores, the grange, police stations, cop shops, etc. I guess it's not so much a matter of deterrance vs. surprise with me. It was always kind of acourtesy thing- guns do legitimately freak some people out, so out of courtesy I have beenCCing since I turned 21.

I had a conversation with my buddy Paul today- he brought up an interesting point. If we carry, dress nice and act extremely polite it may start to change people's perceptions of gun carriers. Eventually, it may lower the stigma against it and may even make it easier to getCC rights on university campuses.

I decided toOC to the grocery store today. It actually worked out well, I've been carrying long guns as well as handguns for about six years now. In the army of course it was OC of both, so it is something I'm already comfortable with.

What was interesting was that it worked more as a conversation piecethan anything. One of the baggers just started asking me about it. At first it was the usual 'Are you a cop?/Why?' questions, but it progressed into a legitimately educational conversation for him (he's from Seattle). I'd like to think I left him with a better image of carriers in general and hopefully a little more comfortable around guns. I don't expect it will always go that well, but I think it is good overall. It's amazing how many sheeple don't even notice OC.:)