• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC While on Motorcycle?

C420sailor

imported post

Any laws prohibiting this? I remember hearing you need a carry permit in order to carry in a car, but not sure about a bike. I have a CCW anyway, but I just figured I'd be safe and ask. Thanks!

ALSO, what's the word on OC with a rifle? I want to ride to the range, and I'd have to sling my AR-15 across my back. Is this allowed? Does it have to be unloaded, or can I have her all charged up?

R
Montgomery County, PA

imperialism2024

imported post

First, the easy one: You can carry without a license just about anywhere you want an unloaded long gun so long as the ammo is in a separate container. Under no circumstances, even with a LTCF, can you have a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle. I think there may even be a gaming regulation where you can't have a loaded long gun so much as resting on a motor vehicle, but I could be wrong on that one. If you're going to the range, throw the rifle over your shoulder, but keep the ammo in a bag. As far as OCing a long gun on foot, I have yet to see a law prohibiting or regulating it, so I'd have to say it's legal. But IANAL.

As far as OCing a handgun on a motorcycle, it is my understanding that you need a LTCF when you do it. A LTCF would also be useful in case you happen to ride within 1000' of a school, per the federal "gun-free school zones" act.

oldemagics

imported post

i have had several discussions with leo friends on this one, the BOOK states;

6106.1. Carrying loaded weapons other [font=Arial,Bold]than firearms.[/font]

[font=Arial,Bold]firearms definition as per 6102 F 1 i[/font]

[font=Arial,Bold](i) Firearm. As used in this section only, the term "firearm" shall include any weapons which are designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon
[/font]
(a) General rule. Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a

loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relat-

ing to definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106 (b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.

refering to section 6106 we find;

6106. Firearms not to be carried without a

license.

(a) Offense defined.

1. Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abodeor fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(b) Exceptions.
[font=Arial,Bold]

[font=Arial,Bold]12. [/font]A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section

6109 (relating to licensees) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of

arrest and that the in-dividual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.

so the general opinion of thes leo's, myself and other "gun nuts" is if you have a ltc it would cover a loaded long gun in a vehicle. would like to have an "official" comment on this but all the alphabet agencies agents decypher it on a personal and day to day basis from what i have found

[/font]

source: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaws/22ndedition/penna.pdf

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Rifle? Unloaded, ammunition in a separate container (saddle bag).

Handgun? Open carry or concealed carry you're still going to need an LTCF. Riding on a motorcycle you are effectively in a vehicle (you're somewhere between the steering mechanism and the rear wheel). The same rule would apply if you were in an open-top convertible. The semantics of "in" vs. "on" wouldn't go well with a district magistrate.

imperialism2024

imported post

If it's considered "carrying" a handgun to have one unloaded with gun and ammo locked separately in one's trunk, I'd tend to think that "carrying" would include a loaded handgun on a motorcycle...

Until we can get unlicensed vehicle OC, Pennsylvania will remain a de facto "licensed open carry" state.

Gone_City_Boy

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
First, the easy one: You can carry without a license just about anywhere you want an unloaded long gun so long as the ammo is in a separate container. Under no circumstances, even with a LTCF, can you have a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle. I think there may even be a gaming regulation where you can't have a loaded long gun so much as resting on a motor vehicle, but I could be wrong on that one. If you're going to the range, throw the rifle over your shoulder, but keep the ammo in a bag. As far as OCing a long gun on foot, I have yet to see a law prohibiting or regulating it, so I'd have to say it's legal. But IANAL.

As far as OCing a handgun on a motorcycle, it is my understanding that you need a LTCF when you do it. A LTCF would also be useful in case you happen to ride within 1000' of a school, per the federal "gun-free school zones" act.
Concerning; Under no circumstances, even with a LTCF, can you have a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle.

I'm confused about that statement.

I got pulled over by a PA - LEO for an expired Vehicle Inspection Sticker. I turned the car off, placed the keys on the dash and presented the LEO with my LTC then my PA Drivers License.

The LEO asked me if i had my weapon with me and I told him yes, it's on my passenger seat. He asked if it was loaded, I replied yes. The LEO wrote my name and License #, gave me a warning if I would go directly to get the vehicle inspected. I agreed and he departed.

tes151

imported post

Not only can you open carry ( with a LTCF due to being in/on a vehicle ), but I have found that I don't tend to get tailgated near as much. :cool:

imperialism2024

imported post

Gone_City_Boy wrote:
Concerning; Under no circumstances, even with a LTCF, can you have a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle.

I'm confused about that statement.

I got pulled over by a PA - LEO for an expired Vehicle Inspection Sticker. I turned the car off, placed the keys on the dash and presented the LEO with my LTC then my PA Drivers License.

The LEO asked me if i had my weapon with me and I told him yes, it's on my passenger seat. He asked if it was loaded, I replied yes. The LEO wrote my name and License #, gave me a warning if I would go directly to get the vehicle inspected. I agreed and he departed.
I'm not sure where the confusion is. Did you have a long gun or handgun on your passenger seat? I'd tend to think a handgun, because long guns are... long. The prohibition I mentioned is about long guns, not handguns. It's a ridiculous regulation, especially in light of the fact that a LTCF lets you carry other types of guns in a car, but IIRC it is thanks to the Pennsylvania Game Commission. If you did indeed have a loaded long gun on your passenger seat, and the LEO declined to enforce that ridiculous regulation, good for him.

john_e_bravo

imported post

tes151 wrote:
Not only can you open carry ( with a LTCF due to being in/on a vehicle ), but I have found that I don't tend to get tailgated near as much. :cool:
wish I had known that on Sunday... would have been a much better group ride!! With an LTCF, I've carried on the bike several times and worried about imprinting.

Thank you all for the information!:celebrate

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

john_e_bravo wrote:
wish I had known that on Sunday... would have been a much better group ride!! With an LTCF, I've carried on the bike several times and worried about imprinting.

Welcome aboard, John.

Be sure to check this thread for some handy PA info:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum61/3424.html

imperialism2024

imported post

john_e_bravo wrote:
tes151 wrote:

Welcome to OCDO!

Now... what do you carry?

john_e_bravo

imported post

Thanks much for the welcome! I've been lurking here for quite awhile educating myself and getting quite a few chuckles from various posts. Very informative and generally a great group of people who have a passion for what they believe in. Kudos to all who OC, CC, and learn!!

As for what I carry... Up until a few weeks ago I carried a Ruger KP345. The recent change was do the purchase of a Colt Defender in a .45 cal. Just picked up a DeSantis OWB paddle holster with thumb break.