Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: LEO CCW Privelages

  1. #1
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    Ok, so I know that there is a law that allows LEO's to carry in all 50 states. I'm wondering what the details are, though. Can they only carry concealed, or could a LEO theoretically carry openly, say, in DC? What about places that are off limits by state law? In VA, you can't carry concealed where alcohol is served, but can a LEO? Or what about a state where you can't carry on school grounds?

    Does that make sense? lol

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    It's an interesting question that I've wondered, too, though never remembered to ask...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burton, Michigan
    Posts
    3,361

    Post imported post

    HR 218

    LEOSafetyAct


    The new Federal law exempts qualified off-duty police officers from the application of state law. For example, a qualified off-duty officer is allowed to carry a concealed weapon in a public area but must follow the regulations imposed at federal buildings, schools, airports, etc.


  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , Vermont, USA
    Posts
    64

    Post imported post

    DreQo wrote:
    Ok, so I know that there is a law that allows LEO's to carry in all 50 states. I'm wondering what the details are, though. Can they only carry concealed, or could a LEO theoretically carry openly, say, in DC? What about places that are off limits by state law? In VA, you can't carry concealed where alcohol is served, but can a LEO? Or what about a state where you can't carry on school grounds?

    Does that make sense? lol
    HR 218 (LEOSA) allows concealed carry only. It preempts all state laws except (1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or (2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park." This does not mean that LEOSA-qualified persons are prohibited from carrying concealed firearms in such areas, but only that they must obey whatever state laws apply on those two points. They are free to disregard all other state and local laws that govern the carrying of concealed firearms.

    As far as sense making goes...I can't answer that. Personally I think it's great and I also think it's an important milestone in allow the general populace to carry across the country.

  6. #6
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    Ok, that clears things up for the most part. Since it covers concealed carry only, I'm assuming that means that if, for instance, they go into a bar in NC where you cannot carry period, they could carry concealed, but not openly? I mean, could they honestly get in legal trouble for not concealing?

    VtCO wrote:
    As far as sense making goes...I can't answer that. Personally I think it's great and I also think it's an important milestone in allow the general populace to carry across the country.
    When I asked if it made sense, I meant did my question make sense but you do bring up a good point. I don't know if I agree with you about it being a step in the right direction. The police are essentially the only ones that enforce the unconstitutional laws that currently exist. I firmly believe that a good part of the reason the LEO Safety Act exists is to do them a favor and keep them from realizing how horrible some of the laws they enforce trulyare.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    Most LEOs if not all would prefer to NOTOC and would rather CC.

    A LEO does NOT want to draw attention to himself as the OC community can testify happens when theyOC.

    A LEO would rather catch a bad guy rather and OC and scare them away only to commit a crime down the street.

  8. #8
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    Most LEOs if not all would prefer to NOTOC and would rather CC.

    A LEO does NOT want to draw attention to himself as the OC community can testify happens when theyOC.

    A LEO would rather catch a bad guy rather and OC and scare them away only to commit a crime down the street.
    K, well I didn't ask what they prefer to do. I'm asking what the scope of their privileges are.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    DreQo wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Most LEOs if not all would prefer to NOTOC and would rather CC.

    A LEO does NOT want to draw attention to himself as the OC community can testify happens when theyOC.

    A LEO would rather catch a bad guy rather and OC and scare them away only to commit a crime down the street.
    K, well I didn't ask what they prefer to do. I'm asking what the scope of their privileges are.
    If you read what was provided... your answer is there... they can CC only!!

    If they wanted they could OC in states that allowed it if retired of if the department did not require them to CC.

  10. #10
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    DreQo wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Most LEOs if not all would prefer to NOTOC and would rather CC.

    A LEO does NOT want to draw attention to himself as the OC community can testify happens when theyOC.

    A LEO would rather catch a bad guy rather and OC and scare them away only to commit a crime down the street.
    K, well I didn't ask what they prefer to do. I'm asking what the scope of their privileges are.
    If you read what was provided... your answer is there... they can CC only!!

    If they wanted they could OC in states that allowed it if retired of if the department did not require them to CC.
    So if a LEO conceals in an area that is normally off limits, and his weapon is seen by someone, then it's not concealed anymore. At this point, has he broken the law?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    DreQo wrote:
    So if a LEO conceals in an area that is normally off limits, and his weapon is seen by someone, then it's not concealed anymore. At this point, has he broken the law?
    No.. Having it concealed and unintentionallydisplaying it for a brief momentwould not be a crime.

    He would have to intentionally walk around with it openly displayed.

    If a state banned OC and he wilfully did so I suspect he could be charged. HR218 only permits CC at any time where allowed.


  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SeaTac, Washington, USA
    Posts
    434

    Post imported post

    So if the police come knocking on my door can I tell themI do not allow firearms on my property to come back without them?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    935

    Post imported post


  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    irfner wrote:
    So if the police come knocking on my door can I tell themI do not allow firearms on my property to come back without them?
    It depends.

    If they are there to ask for your assistance... sure! You can tell them to leave and come back unarmed. I am sure they will not.

    If they are not looking for your assistance and are looking to arrest you... They will leave.. but with you first and disarm at the jail before having you booked.

    If they are there investigating a crime or a possible life threatening event or call for help they are not going to be going anywhere. You will have to endure them being armed on your property.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ocala, Florida, USA
    Posts
    112

    Post imported post

    I just sent a E-Mail off to the areas I will be vacationing at this summer, PA, and NC.

    I asked them about LEO and OC vs CC

    Still waiting on a reply

    The reason I asked was in case I forget to un-tuck my shirt, or was just relaxing, and someone saw my gun for more than just a few seconds.

    I'm so used to CC in public, and OC at home, that sometimes I start to leave the house, or guest come by, and I forget I even have one on.

    (I know, forget isn't the right word, but you know what I mean)

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    tracylaud83 wrote:
    I just sent a E-Mail off to the areas I will be vacationing at this summer, PA, and NC.

    I asked them about LEO and OC vs CC

    Still waiting on a reply

    The reason I asked was in case I forget to un-tuck my shirt, or was just relaxing, and someone saw my gun for more than just a few seconds.

    I'm so used to CC in public, and OC at home, that sometimes I start to leave the house, or guest come by, and I forget I even have one on.

    (I know, forget isn't the right word, but you know what I mean)
    At best... If you did CC and your gun was exposed... the citizen couldcall the police and have you checked out.

    No suspect that no law is broken if you have a valid CC permit or are covered by HR218.

  17. #17
    Regular Member ODA 226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Etzenricht, Germany
    Posts
    1,598

    Post imported post

    irfner wrote:
    So if the police come knocking on my door can I tell themI do not allow firearms on my property to come back without them?
    YOU FUNNY PETERSAN!!!!!ROTFLMAO!!!!!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •