Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Open carry of shotgun

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    45

    Post imported post

    Can one get arrested for open carrying a shotgun, specifcally incidental to hunting wild turkey?

    Thanks

    It seems to be open carry of long guns is not illegal in NC but not sure

  2. #2
    Opt-Out Members
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    178

    Post imported post

    Nope. Open carry applies to all military size firearms and your typical turkey gun is a military size firearm. As long as the barrel of a shotgun is over 18 inches and the total length is over 26 inches you are just fine.

    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wba..._v_fennell.txt

  3. #3
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    dubccat51 wrote:
    Nope. Open carry applies to all military size firearms and your typical turkey gun is a military size firearm. As long as the barrel of a shotgun is over 18 inches and the total length is over 26 inches you are just fine.

    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wba..._v_fennell.txt
    Whoa, military size firearms? Where did you get that? As far as I knew it was any legally possessed firearm, period.

    Anyway yes, you can legally carry a shotgun. Obviously you don't want to do it in a threatening manner, so generally you'd want to keep it on a sling. Where are you planning on carrying, if you don't mind me asking?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    45

    Post imported post

    Thanks

    I would be carrying while turkey hunting

  5. #5
    Opt-Out Members
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    178

    Post imported post

    DreQo wrote:
    Whoa, military size firearms? Where did you get that? As far as I knew it was any legally possessed firearm, period.

    According to State v. Fennel we have the constitutional right to bear armswith an eye toward ourbeing in the unorganized militia. Therefore, the state may regulate arms that are not generally connected with militia service (weapons of mass destruction: short barrelled shotguns, machine guns; and arms not generally useful for military service such asconcealable pistols which is why Chapel Hill can legally regulate the display of concealable pistols).

    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wba..._v_fennell.txt

  6. #6
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    dubccat51 wrote:
    DreQo wrote:
    Whoa, military size firearms? Where did you get that? As far as I knew it was any legally possessed firearm, period.

    According to State v. Fennel we have the constitutional right to bear armswith an eye toward ourbeing in the unorganized militia. Therefore, the state may regulate arms that are not generally connected with militia service (weapons of mass destruction: short barrelled shotguns, machine guns; and arms not generally useful for military service such asconcealable pistols which is why Chapel Hill can legally regulate the display of concealable pistols).

    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wba..._v_fennell.txt
    The state "may", but aside from the single ordinance in Chapel Hill, they don't. There is no state law the restricts the size of a carried firearm. I also think it's funny that machine guns, of course, are not generally used for military service :?.

  7. #7
    Opt-Out Members
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    178

    Post imported post

    Hey if the SHTFthe unorganized militiacan have machine guns and other weapons of mass distruction while called in to actual service but it cannot either before or after . Don't ask me how that is supposed to work ??? The government has totally fallen through on the Second Amendment. Our right to keep and bear arms has been infringed and I'm still waiting for the militia to be well regulated.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    if you're out hunting then your worries about openly carrying your hunting weapon should be non existant. carry in peace and enjoy the hunt

  9. #9
    Regular Member Flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska, USA
    Posts
    1,224

    Post imported post

    Ray wrote:
    Thanks

    I would be carrying while turkey hunting
    No offense intended, but how else would you be able to hunt turkey without being able to OC the shotgun? Even if you holstered it in a shotgun scabbard, it would not be concealed... Same principal goes for rifle and bow.

    Obviously, if you are able to legally use the shotgun or rifle you have for the game you are after, I would think the carrying part becomes rather obvious.
    Peace through superior firepower

    Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    4

    Post imported post

    I know your post is old but I noticed that not one reply answered the most obvious. If you are hunting you must abide by the state hunting regulations, whichincludes legal weapons and how they are carried (i.e. they must be unloaded during transport on roads, cannot carry a handgun during certain firearm/weapons seasons, or while hunting certain game). Game wardens will not entertain you right to bear arms as a reason to violate the state hunting regulations. Jake

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •