• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry of shotgun

Ray

imported post

Can one get arrested for open carrying a shotgun, specifcally incidental to hunting wild turkey?

Thanks

It seems to be open carry of long guns is not illegal in NC but not sure

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

dubccat51 wrote:
Nope. Open carry applies to all military size firearms and your typical turkey gun is a military size firearm. As long as the barrel of a shotgun is over 18 inches and the total length is over 26 inches you are just fine.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/state_v_fennell.txt

Whoa, military size firearms? Where did you get that? As far as I knew it was any legally possessed firearm, period.

Anyway yes, you can legally carry a shotgun. Obviously you don't want to do it in a threatening manner, so generally you'd want to keep it on a sling. Where are you planning on carrying, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Ray

imported post

Thanks

I would be carrying while turkey hunting

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

DreQo wrote:
Whoa, military size firearms? Where did you get that? As far as I knew it was any legally possessed firearm, period.

According to State v. Fennel we have the constitutional right to bear armswith an eye toward ourbeing in the unorganized militia. Therefore, the state may regulate arms that are not generally connected with militia service (weapons of mass destruction: short barrelled shotguns, machine guns; and arms not generally useful for military service such asconcealable pistols which is why Chapel Hill can legally regulate the display of concealable pistols).

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

dubccat51 wrote:
DreQo wrote:

According to State v. Fennel we have the constitutional right to bear armswith an eye toward ourbeing in the unorganized militia. Therefore, the state may regulate arms that are not generally connected with militia service (weapons of mass destruction: short barrelled shotguns, machine guns; and arms not generally useful for military service such asconcealable pistols which is why Chapel Hill can legally regulate the display of concealable pistols).

The state "may", but aside from the single ordinance in Chapel Hill, they don't. There is no state law the restricts the size of a carried firearm. I also think it's funny that machine guns, of course, are not generally used for military service :?.

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Hey if the SHTFthe unorganized militiacan have machine guns and other weapons of mass distruction while called in to actual service but it cannot either before or after . Don't ask me how that is supposed to work :banghead:??? The government has totally fallen through on the Second Amendment. Our right to keep and bear arms has been infringed and I'm still waiting for the militia to be well regulated.

Flintlock

imported post

Ray wrote:
Thanks

I would be carrying while turkey hunting
No offense intended, but how else would you be able to hunt turkey without being able to OC the shotgun? Even if you holstered it in a shotgun scabbard, it would not be concealed... Same principal goes for rifle and bow.

Obviously, if you are able to legally use the shotgun or rifle you have for the game you are after, I would think the carrying part becomes rather obvious.

Rattlerjake

imported post

I know your post is old but I noticed that not one reply answered the most obvious. If you are hunting you must abide by the state hunting regulations, whichincludes legal weapons and how they are carried (i.e. they must be unloaded during transport on roads, cannot carry a handgun during certain firearm/weapons seasons, or while hunting certain game). Game wardens will not entertain you right to bear arms as a reason to violate the state hunting regulations. Jake