• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forget About Carrying at Chili's From Now On...

ODA 226

imported post

Friggen IDIOT!

Gun Accidentally Fires

Note to self: always ensure your hands are not covered with hot wing sauce when fondling your weapon.

Gun Accidentally Fires, Hits Chili's Customer

MELBOURNE, Fla. -- A gun belonging to a customer inside a Chili's restaurant in Melbourne accidentally discharged, hitting a nearby person eating dinner, according to police.

Police said officers were called to the restaurant at 955 Wickham Road just after 11:30 p.m. Friday.

When officers arrived, they found the victim had suffered a gunshot wound to the lower leg in a dining area of the restaurant.

After an investigation, police determined the shooting an accident, and the person holding the firearm, Richard Philipoff, was a friend of the victim, Local 6 News partner Florida Today reported.

Police said Philipoff initially left the restaurant reportedly in fear of being arrested. Officers were able to contact him and he returned.

While the shooting appears accidental, police said criminal charges are being reviewed with the State Attorney's Office. Possible charges include possession, improper display/handling and culpable negligence.

The victim of the shooting was not identified, but was reportedly stable and alert and was transported from the scene for evaluation, police said.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

bohdi

imported post

Or at wet-n-wild in orlando. They had a shooting at the waterpark there. Good grief. Accidental discharge? I accidentally forgot it was loaded? I accidentally forgot to leave the friggin thing alone? I accidentally didn't know I wasn't allowed to have one in my possession?

Flintlock

imported post

There is not nearly enough information written in this article to know all of what really happened. Florida is concealed only and if he was handling it in public, it would already be illegal. I would like to see more info before he is crucified by all the gun forums.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
The story should have said it was negligent rather than an accident.

Yup. There's no such thing as an accident involving a gun that woulda-shoulda-coulda been left at the shop, at home, in the safe, in the car, in the holster, in the pants...just like a motor vehicle, sales lot, garage, ...

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA LEO FOAD

expvideo

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
(snip)
After an investigation, police determined the shooting an accident, and the person holding the firearm, Richard Philipoff, was a friend of the victim, Local 6 News partner Florida Today reported.

Police said Philipoff initially left the restaurant reportedly in fear of being arrested. Officers were able to contact him and he returned.
(snip)
:shock:Why would he be holding a firearm in a restaurant. I'm sure that's not what the reporter meant, but it's kind of funny.

This guy sound pretty bright. First, he negligently shoots his friend in a Chili's. Guns don't just "go off", this guy'san idiot. But then, just to clear our minds of any doubt of his stupidity, he LEAVES THE SCENE! What a dunce.

PT111

imported post

Main Entry:

[suP]1[/suP]ac·ci·den·tal
Function:
adjective
Date:
14th century
1:arising from extrinsic causes :incidental, nonessential

2 a:occurring unexpectedly or by chance b:happening without intent or through carelessness and often with unfortunate results
Fromt the MW definition site that certain people seem to love to quote I don't really see much difference between a ND and and AD. It seems jut to be semantics and posturing trying to proclaim that it couldn't hppen to them.

If the shooter in this case had a permit and wasn't brandishing the gun then I say let them fight it out in civil court. The article didn't say how or if the trigger was pulled. In fact Chili's needs topay the hospital bill due to their negligence especially if they had GFZ signs.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

expvideo wrote:
SNIP But then, just to clear our minds of any doubt of his stupidity, he LEAVES THE SCENE! What a dunce.

The news story left out that his friend, having been freshly shot, was threatening to beat the living shit out of him.

"Richard!! You son of a bitch! You shot me! If I get my hands on you, you asshole, I'm not gonna stop killing you until you are in tiny little shreds!!!"

It was clearly not guilty flight. It was obviously self-preservation and avoiding a situation that could escalate into the need for lethal force. :)

imperialism2024

imported post

PT111, I believe the difference is more in the implication. "Accidental" implies that the gun, on its own accord, and with no human involvement, just fired. Many this includes bumping the gun on something that makes it discharge. "Negligent" implies that the carrier handled the gun in a way inconsistant with the primary safety rules of handling guns, or can also include carrying the gun in an unsafe manner, such as in the vaunted practice of "Mexican carry".

PT111

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
PT111, I believe the difference is more in the implication. "Accidental" implies that the gun, on its own accord, and with no human involvement, just fired. Many this includes bumping the gun on something that makes it discharge. "Negligent" implies that the carrier handled the gun in a way inconsistant with the primary safety rules of handling guns, or can also include carrying the gun in an unsafe manner, such as in the vaunted practice of "Mexican carry".
I would think that the difference would be similar to what you are saying but the way almost any story that gets posted about a discharge immedialtely gets jumped on by everyone trying to make a point about the differences until it gets sickening. Doesn't matter what you want to call it the fellow still got shot in the leg. Just like the mainstream media people on here will find some safety rule that he broke and if they can't they will make one up and then declare that with more training he could be safe like them. And yes and accidental discharge can involve human involvement without it being negligent.

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

For cryin out loud...ever notice this crap happens at the most convenient time?

Like right before passing a certain law?

In fact if I were the paranoid, conspiracy type...

Ahhhh...

Prolly just a case of stupid is as stupid does.

expvideo

imported post

Citizen wrote:
expvideo wrote:
SNIP But then, just to clear our minds of any doubt of his stupidity, he LEAVES THE SCENE! What a dunce.

The news story left out that his friend, having been freshly shot, was threatening to beat the living shit out of him.

"Richard!! You son of a bitch! You shot me! If I get my hands on you, you asshole, I'm not gonna stop killing you until you are in tiny little shreds!!!"

It was clearly not guilty flight. It was obviously self-preservation and avoiding a situation that could escalate into the need for lethal force. :)

Well that would have been nice to know. I guess leaving the scene wasn't the worst idea ever. Imagine explaining that one to the cops, lol.

"It was completely self defense, officer! I shot him, so he got all pissed and tried to attack me, so I had to shoot him"

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:

Ask a reactor plant operator (the operator, not the manager) the difference between accident and negligence.

As to the safety of Mexican Carry, safety is a tyrant's (or marketeer's) tool, no one can be against safety. Remember back when the M1911 was invented, its designed condition of carry, the simple holsters of the time. Think of the burgeoning safety industry since. Connect the non-PC dots.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA LEO FOAD

LEO 229

imported post

expvideo wrote:
:shock:Why would he be holding a firearm in a restaurant. I'm sure that's not what the reporter meant, but it's kind of funny.

This guy sound pretty bright. First, he negligently shoots his friend in a Chili's. Guns don't just "go off", this guy'san idiot. But then, just to clear our minds of any doubt of his stupidity, he LEAVES THE SCENE! What a dunce.
Maybe he was going to shoot his food to be sure it was dead? :D

If he did actually handle it and it did not spontaneously go off.... I have to wonder what he was going at that moment. If you go in armed... there is pretty much no need to even touch your gun unless you need to draw.

His had gone off in some fashion that was not explained. I would suspect.. a finger on the trigger? ;)

Running off was not the answer as his friend would be able to identify him. In a crisis situation he made an understandable error in judgement as all humans can do.

Should charges be placed? Not sure yet. What he did was hopefully a complete accident and he did not hate his friend secretly. :lol:

But what he did was dangerous and could have killed someone. He did handle his firearm in what could probably seen asa reckless manner. So what was he doing???

PT111

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

Ask a reactor plant operator (the operator, not the manager) the difference between accident and negligence.

As to the safety of Mexican Carry, safety is a tyrant's (or marketeer's) tool, no one can be against safety. Remember back when the M1911 was invented, its designed condition of carry, the simple holsters of the time. Think of the burgeoning safety industry since. Connect the non-PC dots.

I have been all through that with the plants, transmission and distribution lines. I used to do legal engineering research for the power company. It did not matter what we did there would always be some lawyer trying to claim negligence on our part. Worst thing was CB antennas and sailboats. It did not matter that we exceeded the clearance requirements by 10 feet the lawyer andjury ruled that we should have known that someone was making a new sailboat with an even taller trailer and mast. Or the time we placed the lines near the airport underground and the plane still ran off the runway and hit them; absolute true story. It's easy to claim negligence after the fact as long as it didn't happen to you.