• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

concealed-carry.net

Glock27Bill

imported post

Here's the VA requirement:

Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state
This is from their site:

Alternative Delivery Course
The Virginia Hunter Education Alternative Delivery Course is composed of an online portion, a written test, and a series of practical exercises which must be completed by each student. Those who elect the Alternative Delivery option should first go to the International Hunter Education Association's Web site and complete the online Hunter Education course. All quizzes must be printed out and brought to the practical exercises. After completing the on-line course, students should study the Hunting & Trapping Regulations section of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries Web site. Questions from this section and the online course will be included on the written test. The student should then register for an Alternative Delivery Testing And Practical Exercise session. Upon satisfactory completion of the test and the practicals, the student will be awarded a certificate of Completion of Hunter Education.

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If I got in a shooting, and the police investigated how I got my permit, I will be glad that I took a course that actually required me to show up in a classroom and fire a gun. Not that I agree that it should be required, but taking a half a day and $60 to get a real class is worth the peace of mind.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

dixiehacker wrote:
If I got in a shooting, and the police investigated how I got my permit, I will be glad that I took a course that actually required me to show up in a classroom and fire a gun. Not that I agree that it should be required, but taking a half a day and $60 to get a real class is worth the peace of mind.
I agree. We conduct a written test at the end of our class to ensure that the student has learned the material presented. An online test could be taken by any number of people and there is no gaurentee that the person whose name is on the certificate took the test alone. We also provide a student manual, which can be referred back to later. I doubt that the online course offers that.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was only looking into it because I can't seem to find anywhere to take a class within 50 miles and gas is expensive. I have been around guns all of my life and know gun safety, I also take an interest on my own in local gun laws and legal use of deadly force, so I don't think I will be learning anything new from these classes so if the online class meets the legal requirement I'm fine with it.

Not to mention, that I currently legally open carry without any formal training, how does carrying concealed require any increased responcibility? If anything, open carrying requires a greater knowledge of safety and the law so that when you are inevatibely confronted you know what you're talking about.