• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Libraries and School Grounds

Schofield

imported post

Well, I finally made it back up to Alaska after a grueling plane fligth and I've been happily carrying concealed and a bit of open though I don't have the proper holster for the latter, really. One of the first stops once I got things up and running was the library, specifically Loussac... Lo and behold they don't want you carrying tiny red revolvers in there. I'm confused by this. Isn't the library a publicly-funded organization under the city and state? And state law pre-empts city about carry laws?
:?

Also have a question about schools: I live on the veritable doorstep of both an elementary and high school surrounded by lots of lovely trails through the woods. I used to walk up through the elementary school's parking lot, along a portion of a trail before passing beyond the school grounds. This is in the evening so it's after any school stuff has ceased. Now I'm not sure if I can while carrying openly or concealed. Part of the law makes it sound as though it's illegal to carry only if you're in the process of committing a crime.

I would research all of this myself more in depth but I'm trying to find a job right now and do a million after-move things so I haven't even been able to visit these forums except for now. :( If anyone has an idea on both areas of concern, I'd love to hear it.

Flintlock

imported post

I did a bit of research and from what I can tell, it is funded by the municipality and the employees are municipal employees. It may very well be a violation of preemption but I will wait for another poster to come along that may have more information for usbefore I start sending letters.

According to their code of conduct policy, no weapons of any type are aloud in or around the grounds of the library.

As for schools, you may not carry on school property, even if you are just passing through. I also live adjacent to an elementary school but as long as I don't cross the fence, everything is fine. You can find a lot more information below..

http://tk-o.com/tko/pdf/CCRev18.pdf

Rabid SA-XD

imported post

im glad that people are getting use out of that link...
i believe you may carry concealed in library, i dunno about open, but even that may be a violation of the pre-emption, not sure, all they can really do i think is ask you to leave...

Flintlock

imported post

Rabid SA-XD wrote:
im glad that people are getting use out of that link...
i believe you may carry concealed in library, i dunno about open, but even that may be a violation of the pre-emption, not sure, all they can really do i think is ask you to leave...
Thanks for that link originally Rabid, I hope you don't mind me borrowing it. It was authored by a friend of the family and I thought it was fairly detailed and would provide good info to someone who had any questions.

How is your site coming?

Rabid SA-XD

imported post

no sweat man, glad it is helpfull...

as far as the site, im running a bit behind, been bust at work, got a promotion, and a 10K raise...in the next few weeks i hope to have it near done.

Flintlock

imported post

Rabid SA-XD wrote:
no sweat man, glad it is helpfull...

as far as the site, im running a bit behind, been bust at work, got a promotion, and a 10K raise...in the next few weeks i hope to have it near done.
Sounds great! I'll keep checking back to see what you have been able to do. It looks like it's going to be really nice.

Schofield

imported post

For anyone who knows what this mean, the sign references 40-27 of Policy and Regulations, I believe... Whether these are library regulations or city or that mad painter's who keeps painting red guns, I don't know. A thought occured to me, however: On the very first level of Loussac there are "Assembly Chambers". I don't know if anything official goes on there but even if it does, wouldn't that be included in the statewide preemption?

Flintlock

imported post

Schofield wrote:
For anyone who knows what this mean, the sign references 40-27 of Policy and Regulations, I believe... Whether these are library regulations or city or that mad painter's who keeps painting red guns, I don't know. A thought occured to me, however: On the very first level of Loussac there are "Assembly Chambers". I don't know if anything official goes on there but even if it does, wouldn't that be included in the statewide preemption?
One would think it is covered under state preemption. We should send some e-mails to find out what the deal is there..