• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-Mart to film gun sales in bid to fight crime

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jim675 wrote:
asforme wrote:
I'm going to be the voice of dissent here. While I don't like the fact that Blomberg is involved, I think this is a great example of capitalism taking care of something without being forced by the government.
Do you think Wal Mart would have made such a policy based on the request of Joe Average Citizen down the block? Government WAS involved in this. Just in a deceitful, secretive manner; a bunch of city Mayors using collective bargaining power and you can bet they threatened to support every silly no-Wal-Mart_in-my-city effort they could find if WM wouldn't bend over.
That doesn't really make any sense though. AFIAK wal-mart has always been the type to settle just outside a city and tell them to go jump off a bridge with their nonsense laws.

Maybe I'm living in a fantasy world where the "invisible hand" of economic decision making still has any muscle. But if I'm not, and wal-mart is enacting these policies as an independent PR move, I have no problem with that.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jack wrote:
kf4uel wrote:
Dont like this at all.... reminds me of that movie red dawn.. and since walmart is basically china in a building...lol

LOL, that is crazy....

but I was thinking the same EXACTsame thing. That was one of the best pro-gun, pro freedom movies ever made.

It would be funny to hire a stripper to go there and buy a gun. When they start filmingshe peels off allher clothes and says, " I thought you said this was to identify me ? When they make the posters for where I work.....

The only scenario worse that Red Dawn would be be if the Russians invaded with ZOMBIES!!!

Attachments

• 80272GmOL_w.jpg
    80272GmOL_w.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 127

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WalMart gets the green light to open a store in New York in 3...2...1...

I'm glad I am aware of their noble cause and that they will post signs of Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership so I know to go into that particular store and tell them that as long as they are party to Bloomberg's abomination that I will not purchase any firearms from them. I can only dream that once word gets out that WalMart is no longer the largest firearms seller.

Thundar

imported post

The real danger is that what Walmart does now will, in the future, be the standard. Expect future proposed legislation for all dealers to meet the Walmart standard. This will be a back door effort to eliminate the small independent dealer.

1COOLPO

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Oh my goodness!! I think Wal-Mart has completely gone to the dark side. This is just nuts. Maybe we should log all sales of Life cereal because I don't like it much and someone might use it in a crime. Or how about we ask all car dealers to log all of their cars that are sold and used in a crime. I realize they did this by their own choice or at least to keep selling products in some areas but they are big enough to stand up to this junk. If having my bags searched every time I go out the door wasn't bad enough!!!

Unbelievable that Walmart is going to the gun control buisness? And what is to keep someone from looking at my gun-purchase records, we can't even keep passport records, medical records, or other personal information safe. And that is the Federal government who keep losing them, what is going to stop the Wal-mart $5.95 an hour night employee from looking at the records. Worse than that, when the government comes for your guns now, Wal-mart will be giving them your information. Had a natural distaster destroy your town (New Orleans), just try to defend your property, while you are trying to stop the looters, the police (armed with the Wal-mart information) will be knocking on your back door with weapons drawn coming for your only means of defense. Hilter pulled this same stuff in Germany back in the 30s, and we know what happened there, a disarmed populous can not stand up from themselves and find their destiny controlled by madmen. Wake up America? Do we really want to be like Russia or China? Do we want to fear our government and know that there is nothing we can do to stand up to them? Is that what we want for our children? I hope not.

Legba

imported post

Much of this is required already. As for no sale without a response, the NICS system only keeps transactions open for something like 21 days, so if they don't respond by then, they never will. Basically a delay that isn't resolved within the 3 days will likely become a de facto denial if they won't release it after the 3-day wait (that's already at their discretion as the law is now).

As for tracing, the ATF regularly calls on retailers for gun traces - this doesn't mean that the purchaser has done anything wrong. It may be the case that a gun they dulyreported stolen was recovered in a crime that's being investigated. The retailers aren't supposed to share tracing information with anyone but involved law enforcement agencies in any case. I don't like the idea of their maintaining such internal databases. This is a law enforcement function and I don't trust Wal-Mart clerks to handle it.

Wal-Mart and every other retailer is already aware of their duties and obligations as licensees. Internal audits are a good idea, but they seem to be overreaching here. I don't see public safety being improved because of this.

-ljp

imperialism2024

imported post

1COOLPO wrote:
Unbelievable that Walmart is going to the gun control buisness? And what is to keep someone from looking at my gun-purchase records, we can't even keep passport records, medical records, or other personal information safe. And that is the Federal government who keep losing them, what is going to stop the Wal-mart $5.95 an hour night employee from looking at the records. Worse than that, when the government comes for your guns now, Wal-mart will be giving them your information. Had a natural distaster destroy your town (New Orleans), just try to defend your property, while you are trying to stop the looters, the police (armed with the Wal-mart information) will be knocking on your back door with weapons drawn coming for your only means of defense. Hilter pulled this same stuff in Germany back in the 30s, and we know what happened there, a disarmed populous can not stand up from themselves and find their destiny controlled by madmen. Wake up America? Do we really want to be like Russia or China? Do we want to fear our government and know that there is nothing we can do to stand up to them? Is that what we want for our children? I hope not.

But... if it saves just one child...

DeadCenter

imported post

If this is posted in another area, forgive me. Going over my email this evening I came across this and was a bit shocked.

Wal-Mart To Create Gun Buyer Database

Friday, April 18, 2008

Recently, Wal-Mart joined New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg at a gathering of Bloomberg’s anti-gun group, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, to announce a series of changes to the way in which Wal-Mart handles firearm transactions. At the press event, J.P. Suarez, chief compliance officer for Wal-Mart Stores Inc., said: “The costs are, we think, part of what it takes to be responsible.” Suarez also added, "This is not a signal that we're getting out of firearms."

Once these changes are up and running, firearm purchases at Wal-Mart will involve a video record of the sale, which the store will keep on file -- effectively creating a video database of gun purchasers. In addition, Wal-Mart announced that its employees will be given discretion to deny firearms purchases to anyone who has had a firearm traced by BATFE for any reason -- including those who have had a firearm stolen and later used in criminal activity.

Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President, said, “I view it as a public relations stunt that stigmatizes law-abiding firearms purchasers exercising their constitutional freedoms. I honestly think it's a corporation trying to curry favor with politicians as opposed to doing anything meaningful about stopping crime.”

If you’d like to let Wal-Mart know what you think about their new policy, please contact them by phone, at (800) 925-6278; or electronically, at http://www.walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx.