• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol permit law

Ray

imported post

So NC still has a discriminatory law for buying a pistol.

Should this be repealed?

p85

imported post

not sure discriminatory is correct, however the fact that sheriffs' hold the cards by making citizens buy purchase permits (if you don't have a chp) rather than using the NICS system does allow for bias. plus it is a money grab.

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Mike wrote:
What "discrimination"?
The Pistol Purchase Permit law was passed in 1919, and is a classic piece of Jim Crow-era legislation. The recognition of civil rights for blacks and other minorities meant that the Constitution applied to minorities. This meant that blacks and other minorities could exercise their natural right to self-defense, with the full support of the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution and Article I, Sec. 30 of the North Carolina Constitution. This did not sit well with the Ku Klux Klan (which for many years was headquartered in Raleigh, just down the street from the Legislature) and other racist groups and influential individuals. The racist members of the State Legislature knew they could not overtly prevent minorities from purchasing handguns for protection, so the seemingly innocent Pistol Purchase Permit law was passed. This law allowed local Sheriffs and government officials to discriminate with impunity at the local level.
Even today, the Pistol Purchase Permit law is implemented in an arbitrary and capricious fashion by 100 individual County Sheriffs. Some Sheriffs do little more than collect the fees and hand out permits to the law-abiding, because more than that is not necessary. Others implement ridiculous, intrusive requirements that either discriminate on a wholesale basis or are selectively applied so that discrimination can be more personalized.

With the advent of the National Instant Check System (NICS) there is no public safety reason why the Pistol Purchase Permit system needs to continue. The Jim Crow era is over, and the laws of that era need to be eliminated. Most people agree with that in principle, but for some reason when it comes to guns a significant number of people seem to think that discrimination and arbitrary requirements are a good thing.

-from the North Carolina Rifle and Pistol Association website (www.ncrpa.org)

mbs357

imported post

Back when my dad turned 21 he tried to buy a pistol, Sherrifs turned him down because they didn't like him. He did, and still does, have a clean record.

yonder

imported post

If we have the right to keep and bear arms, then it seems ridiculous to me that we need to ask permission from the sheriff to do so.

Hell yes, it should be repealed.

I'm one of those guys that thinks the NICS check should be gone, though, and that one should be able to buy guns over the counter at the mall without so much as having to show ID.