Thread: Visiting NC from Virginia

Post imported post

I had been planning to go to Myrtle Beach for the first time in my life once I heard that SC was about to fix it's reciprocity laws. But that apparently fell through or got stuck so I got my deposit back before I was locked in.

I know you cannot legally conceal carry anywhere alcohol is sold and consumed in NC - but is Open Carry allowed in those places? Is it accepted?

I also know that I am required to tell police I am armed.

Any other particulars of the NC firearms code a visitor should know?

Thanks in advance!

Post imported post

No CC or OC in places that allow you to purchase alcohol and CONSUME on their property. Both must take place. So resturants that serve alcohol are a no go.

No castle doctrine.

1 shoot first law. basically can only kill if someone is in the process of breaking in your home.

No CC in banks. OC okay.

Look for signs prohibiting guns.

Again I am not a lawyer

Post imported post

Actually, there is now castle doctrine in NC. Real new.

Post imported post

what does it state now enlighten me plz

Post imported post

my apologies, no castle doctrine law as yet. however, we do not have a duty to retreat.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

p85 wrote:
    my apologies, no castle doctrine law as yet. however, we do not have a duty to retreat.
    The castle doctrine died in committee in the legislature. We also do have a duty to retreat unless yourself or an innocent party is in imminent danger of murder, rape, or great bodily harmwith the exception of ifsomeone is in the process of breaking in to your house.

Post imported post

It would be nice if we had the castle doctrine.

Post imported post

§ 14‑51.1. Use of deadly physical force against an intruder.

(a) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence is justified in using any degree of force that the occupant reasonably believes is necessary, including deadly force, against an intruder to prevent a forcible entry into the home or residence or to terminate the intruder's unlawful entry (i) if the occupant reasonably apprehends that the intruder may kill or inflict serious bodily harm to the occupant or others in the home or residence, or (ii) if the occupant reasonably believes that the intruder intends to commit a felony in the home or residence.

(b) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence does not have a duty to retreat from an intruder in the circumstances described in this section.

(c) This section is not intended to repeal, expand, or limit any other defense that may exist under the common law. (1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 673, s. 1.)

This is taken directly from NC Statutes.