• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrying and Charged with Disturbing the peace

burninsteeda04

imported post

Im just curious could an officer legally charge you with disturbing the peace for OC and could you be convicted.

conwict

imported post

Seems like it'd be an "aggravating factor" if you did certain things that counted as DTP.

EG, someone walking along the street at night OCing is not DTP.

Someone drunk, hoopin' and hollerin' is likely DTP.

Someone drunk, hoopin' and hollerin' while OCing is even more likely DTP.

OCing here is usually viewed by default as in the context of law abiding citizens' actions, but I think it could (and should) be viewed differently with regard to anyone who is breaking the law.

PS, I realize public intoxication, carrying while intoxicated, disturbing the peace, and so on are all different charges...however, someone who is clearly not fit to carry and who is carrying and committing other infractions is, in my estimation, disturbing the peace.

freedom of speech : yeling "fire" in a crowded theater :: right to keep and bear arms : carrying/operating arms drunkenly or irresponsibly

all rights have reasonable limitations, namely with regard to infringing upon or impinging on the life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness of other law-abiding citizens.

So in short, not if you behave yourself.

conwict

imported post

PPS, they "can" charge you with anything, but are less likely to do so if you are polite. So, without bending too much to the will of the state, it is best to remain polite.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

burninsteeda04 wrote:
Im just curious could an officer legally charge you with disturbing the peace for OC and could you be convicted.
Carrying openly is not a crime, nor does it, by itself, create a condition for a crime.