• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open in FMN

SickTag

imported post

RogueAussie wrote:
Question are you aloud to carry in the public area of the airport IE before the check point
I am not sure about Alb. Airport, but I know that you can CC in El Paso's Airport up to the security check point. I was told you could OC the same in El Paso, but I am not really brave enough to do it since all the concern and attention it might draw to me.

About gas stations that sell alcohol, you can OC as long as you do not enter the building, so if you pay at pump or just wait outside you can carry. You can also carry at places that sell like wal mart all you want in the parking lots as long as you do not OC in the building.

Also in my town most gas stations do not sell alcohol with the exception for the J&J mini marts and Shell Gas Stations. Alsups, Diamond Shamrock here do not sell so there have been no problems. I usually goto Alsups or the gas station in the wal mart parking lot to fill up just so I can carry.

I am not sure about other people who carry, but I will spend a little more for gas just so I can carry and I pick places to goto most of the time based on if I can carry there or not. Note I said MOST of the time and that I am married so sometimes I just lock my gun up in the car.

SickTag

imported post

NMGlock26 wrote:
The statue statue states"privet conveyance" I think that would mean any thing that is used for transportation. I think it would depend on the LEO that observed you stepping off your motocycle to purchase gas. I agreed before with SickTag that an LEO will charge you if you are in violation or not with his/her interpretation of the statue. I would think if you break physical contact with your bike you are in violation. I dont know if there has been a test case with this situation. I would error on the side of caution especially if you are OCing. You do not want to be the test case.

with motorcycles there is an unwritten rule of 3 feet. If you decide to CC and ride your motorcycle you can and if you get off, you have a 3 feet range so if you decide to pack your pistol in a bag while you go into a store it is fine and most police officers respect the 3 foot rule. This is also great if you are riding and decide to pay at pump and fill up you can CC and be legally safe as long as you don't go wandering off.

NMGlock26

imported post

I have also herd of the 3 foot rule. It is unwritten though. I have talked to several LEOs and they all seemed to know and agree about the 3 foot rule. I did not mention it in my earlier post because it is unwritten.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Thanks, guys for the additional info...I feel better about open-carrying at gas stations on my bike in NM (here in TX, they ALL seem to sell beer).

Never heard of the 3-foot rule for bikers but that makes sense if not written legality...there's a Shell station right across from Village Inn (Telshore & E. Lohman in Las Cruces) and I assumed they sold beer in their store.

I sometimes drive up to Las Cruces on HWY 28 -- like lots of other bikers on the weekends especially -- and it would be nice to not have to take the gun off just to "pay-the pump" and wondering about all that beer being sold just inside the store a few feet away. And I don't like the idea of puttingthe guninto my saddlebags with people watching...but I don't need to go into the store anyway.

Ialso like to go to said Village Inn for some coffee and getting online with my laptop (free WiFi there)...does anyone know if it's posted (re: OC)? I forgot to look for signs the last time I was there and I don't know Village Inn's New Mexico policy re: firearms OC or CC.

-- John D.

SickTag

imported post

If you are staying at a hotel or motel you can carry there like your home while you are there. I know you can also carry in hotels with bars if you just stay out of the bar. It is a good idea to get a good locking safe for your car/hotel room. Check out the box at http://www.center-of-mass.com/ My CC instructor uses it, he said get the large size because it is better to have a gun too little for a box then a box too little for a gun. Plus the box meets regulations for transporting your gun on flights and you can take it anywhere and he uses it to lock up his gun while traveling or when he can't carry into an establishment. It hides easily and most people who break into cars are smash and grabs so a locked safe with a locked teather isn't going anywhere. Yes with time they could break into the box but it would take them a little while to do it. He owns 4. I am going to get 2 myself.