• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RCW 9.41.0975

Bear 45/70

imported post

The wonderful people that work (?) for us in ourgovernment (?)are more interested in protecting their butts from their screw ups than doing their jobs. That applies everywhere, not just in Washington orthe US but the whole world.

ravensmiles13

imported post

That seems to be the nature of most lawmakers. But I can see where this could be used in conjunction with RCW 9.41.290 to completely remove our right to own guns in this sate, and leave them free from prosecution for carrying it out.

Bear 45/70

imported post

ravensmiles13 wrote:
That seems to be the nature of most lawmakers. But I can see where this could be used in conjunction with RCW 9.41.290 to completely remove our right to own guns in this sate, and leave them free from prosecution for carrying it out.
Remember, when dealing with politicians, bureaucrats and lawyers; what is legal and right has nothing to do with how they think or operate.

carhas0

imported post

The law only protects the actors if they made a wrongful decision "in good faith." This means, for example, that a sheriff's department did the background checks and fingerprinting, etc. for a CPL application and for some reason it comes back approved, although the person really did have a felony record or warrant for arrest. Not knowing the criminal record, they would still issue the CPL as everything appears fine to them--they acted in good faith based on the established procedures. So, the law argues, they should not be held accountable for a mistake in the database or failure of a court or other police agency to enter the warrant or arrest record into the computer.

I understand the general concern, however, about our politicians and other officials not being held accountable for their actions.

expvideo

imported post

ravensmiles13 wrote:
Perhaps I am a bit confused, or maybe just paranoid. Why is there a law on the books to protect Government officials from prosecution when they infringe on my rights as a citizen? I have been checking into the gun laws here since having moved here from Louisiana. Can Anyone shed some light on this statued?

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.0975

The law protects them from liability if they make a mistake in granting or not grantinga permit (etc). It also provisions the process for appealing an incorrect decision.

This is to protect against lawsuits based on clerical errors, and to protect them from lawsuits if they accidentally grant a permit to someone that is not supposed to have one.

I don't see a problem. Let it go.

ravensmiles13

imported post

Thats why I was asking for some clarity on this statued. I am not overly worried about it, However after seeing what they did in Louisiana after Katrina. They were using the least little loopholes in the gun laws in Louisiana after the hurricane to seize guns from law abiding citizens trying to protect our families, and our property from looters.

joeroket

imported post

It is exactly for the purpose expvideo said. Because we are a shall issue state of 30 days sometimes, granted it is rare, a permit is issued to a felon. I personally know of 4 times in the last 15 years that Everett Officers had to go out and confiscate a permit from a felon after they were given one in accordance with the law.