Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: CNN Article on Campus Carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    159

    Post imported post

    Some of the same old stuff, but it provides a fairly balanced perspective. And, above all, it's more media exposure to the campus carry movement!

    http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/14/campus.guns/index.html

  2. #2
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291

    Post imported post

    I was one of the first few to reply to this article this morning. Evidently my comments were too strong for CNN. I can see not posting one for language but they did ask for opinions. I really hate censorship esp. from a news agency.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    151

    Post imported post

    "I don't think the answer to bullets flying is to send more bullets flying," said Gene Ferrara, the police chief at the University of Cincinnati.
    I'll bet the campus cops still carry sidearms, though.

    Ferrara was a Cincinnati cop for more than a dozen years before he became chief of police at the university. He also said that there are practical concerns from a law enforcement perspective: If you're responding to the scene of a shooting, how do you sort out who is the bad guy and who is the heroic student with a permit?
    "The other side of that, I shoot everybody with a gun who doesn't have a uniform on and I then I end up shooting somebody who was a citizen with a carry permit," Ferrara said.
    Whoa, hold up there! What this "shooting" business, chief? I thought you said sending more bullets flying wasn't the answer? If so, why would your cops be shooting?

    Typical two-faced politico f**ktard.

    ETA Okay, I just posted my objection in the comments over there, though without my, ahem, assessment of Ferrara.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    363

    Post imported post

    If you're responding to the scene of a shooting, how do you sort out who is the bad guy and who is the heroic student with a permit?
    When you get there in 5 minutes, the bad guy will be the dead guy on the floor.


    "The other side of that, I shoot everybody with a gun who doesn't have a uniform on and I then I end up shooting somebody who was a citizen with a carry permit," Ferrara said.


    Thats a risk I'm willing to take.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SeaTac, Washington, USA
    Posts
    434

    Post imported post

    Euromutt wrote:
    "I don't think the answer to bullets flying is to send more bullets flying," said Gene Ferrara, the police chief at the University of Cincinnati.
    I'll bet the campus cops still carry sidearms, though.

    Ferrara was a Cincinnati cop for more than a dozen years before he became chief of police at the university. He also said that there are practical concerns from a law enforcement perspective: If you're responding to the scene of a shooting, how do you sort out who is the bad guy and who is the heroic student with a permit?
    "The other side of that, I shoot everybody with a gun who doesn't have a uniform on and I then I end up shooting somebody who was a citizen with a carry permit," Ferrara said.
    Whoa, hold up there! What this "shooting" business, chief? I thought you said sending more bullets flying wasn't the answer? If so, why would your cops be shooting?

    Typical two-faced politico f**ktard.

    ETA Okay, I just posted my objection in the comments over there, though without my, ahem, assessment of Ferrara.
    Kind of explains why some leo's need constant retraining

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Huntersville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    231

    Post imported post

    "The other side of that, I shoot everybody with a gun who doesn't have a uniform on and I then I end up shooting somebody who was a citizen with a carry permit," Ferrara said."

    Um...Just about every school shooting that happens, the killer has claimed victims, shot himself, THEN the police show up. Police aren't always there, victims are.

    Also, what the media doesn't talk about (but should) is this: Every single shooter in a major school shooting, I'll repeat, EVERY SINGLE SHOOTER was on antidepressent drugs. Maybe we should be looking on how these drugs affect young student behavior, and ananlyzing possible solutions for these aggressive side effects, not just yanking guns away from law abiding citizens who don't do drugs or haven't done anything wrong.

    Fictitious scenerio:
    Little boy on some med. is playing trucks with lots of other boys. the boy on meds gets mad and takes the truck and hits another boy. The supervising adult comes over and takes all the trucks and puts them on the shelf. Now the boy in the far corner has to give up his truck even though he had nothing to do with the incident. How long would tha daycare worker last?

  7. #7
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291

    Post imported post

    Godscreation wrote:
    Fictitious scenerio:
    Little boy on some med. is playing trucks with lots of other boys. the boy on meds gets mad and takes the truck and hits another boy. The supervising adult comes over and takes all the trucks and puts them on the shelf. Now the boy in the far corner has to give up his truck even though he had nothing to do with the incident. How long would tha daycare worker last?
    Whats next? meds for all these kids too...?
    Robyn Hooker, principal of Kent Gardens Elementary School, has told students they may no longer play tag during recess after determining that the game had gotten out of hand. Hooker explained that tag had become a game "of intense aggression."

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...402988_pf.html



  8. #8
    Regular Member Shy_Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Spokane / Pullman, Washington, USA
    Posts
    336

    Post imported post

    I'll tell you one thing, when I have kids they are going to be getting lawn darts (the old school version) and a wood burning kit, nothing teaches kids like first hand experience.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    363

    Post imported post

    M1Gunr wrote:
    Godscreation wrote:
    Fictitious scenerio:
    Little boy on some med. is playing trucks with lots of other boys. the boy on meds gets mad and takes the truck and hits another boy. The supervising adult comes over and takes all the trucks and puts them on the shelf. Now the boy in the far corner has to give up his truck even though he had nothing to do with the incident. How long would tha daycare worker last?
    Whats next? meds for all these kids too...?
    Robyn Hooker, principal of Kent Gardens Elementary School, has told students they may no longer play tag during recess after determining that the game had gotten out of hand. Hooker explained that tag had become a game "of intense aggression."

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...402988_pf.html
    "Tag" leads to school shootings... Didn't you guys know that. Oh and dodge ball too.


  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    162

    Post imported post

    M1Gunr wrote:
    I was one of the first few to reply to this article this morning. Evidently my comments were too strong for CNN. I can see not posting one for language but they did ask for opinions. I really hate censorship esp. from a news agency.
    M1Gunr that sounds like a name for someone that is or was in the military. If this is true how can you say CNN provides censorship on topics. Were else can you go to find information that should not even be put out on the news. CNN likes to tell everyone about the war before the military even finds out. Again if you are or have been in the military, THANKS FOR SERVING.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •