• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CNN Article on Campus Carry

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I was one of the first few to reply to this article this morning. Evidently my comments were too strong for CNN. I can see not posting one for language but they did ask for opinions. I really hate censorship esp. from a news agency.

Euromutt

imported post

"I don't think the answer to bullets flying is to send more bullets flying," said Gene Ferrara, the police chief at the University of Cincinnati.
I'll bet the campus cops still carry sidearms, though.

Ferrara was a Cincinnati cop for more than a dozen years before he became chief of police at the university. He also said that there are practical concerns from a law enforcement perspective: If you're responding to the scene of a shooting, how do you sort out who is the bad guy and who is the heroic student with a permit?
"The other side of that, I shoot everybody with a gun who doesn't have a uniform on and I then I end up shooting somebody who was a citizen with a carry permit," Ferrara said.
Whoa, hold up there! What this "shooting" business, chief? I thought you said sending more bullets flying wasn't the answer? If so, why would your cops be shooting?

Typical two-faced politico f**ktard.

ETA Okay, I just posted my objection in the comments over there, though without my, ahem, assessment of Ferrara.

DrewGunner

imported post

If you're responding to the scene of a shooting, how do you sort out who is the bad guy and who is the heroic student with a permit?
When you get there in 5 minutes, the bad guy will be the dead guy on the floor.

"The other side of that, I shoot everybody with a gun who doesn't have a uniform on and I then I end up shooting somebody who was a citizen with a carry permit," Ferrara said.
mp257.gif

Thats a risk I'm willing to take.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Euromutt wrote:
"I don't think the answer to bullets flying is to send more bullets flying," said Gene Ferrara, the police chief at the University of Cincinnati.
I'll bet the campus cops still carry sidearms, though.

Ferrara was a Cincinnati cop for more than a dozen years before he became chief of police at the university. He also said that there are practical concerns from a law enforcement perspective: If you're responding to the scene of a shooting, how do you sort out who is the bad guy and who is the heroic student with a permit?
Whoa, hold up there! What this "shooting" business, chief? I thought you said sending more bullets flying wasn't the answer? If so, why would your cops be shooting?

Typical two-faced politico f**ktard.

ETA Okay, I just posted my objection in the comments over there, though without my, ahem, assessment of Ferrara.
Kind of explains why some leo's need constant retraining

Godscreation

imported post

"The other side of that, I shoot everybody with a gun who doesn't have a uniform on and I then I end up shooting somebody who was a citizen with a carry permit," Ferrara said."

Um...Just about every school shooting that happens, the killer has claimed victims, shot himself, THEN the police show up. Police aren't always there, victims are.

Also, what the media doesn't talk about (but should) is this: Every single shooter in a major school shooting, I'll repeat, EVERY SINGLE SHOOTER was on antidepressent drugs. Maybe we should be looking on how these drugs affect young student behavior, and ananlyzing possible solutions for these aggressive side effects, not just yanking guns away from law abiding citizens who don't do drugs or haven't done anything wrong.

Fictitious scenerio:
Little boy on some med. is playing trucks with lots of other boys. the boy on meds gets mad and takes the truck and hits another boy. The supervising adult comes over and takes all the trucks and puts them on the shelf. Now the boy in the far corner has to give up his truck even though he had nothing to do with the incident. How long would tha daycare worker last?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Godscreation wrote:
Fictitious scenerio:
Little boy on some med. is playing trucks with lots of other boys. the boy on meds gets mad and takes the truck and hits another boy. The supervising adult comes over and takes all the trucks and puts them on the shelf. Now the boy in the far corner has to give up his truck even though he had nothing to do with the incident. How long would tha daycare worker last?
Whats next? meds for all these kids too...?
Robyn Hooker, principal of Kent Gardens Elementary School, has told students they may no longer play tag during recess after determining that the game had gotten out of hand. Hooker explained that tag had become a game "of intense aggression."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/14/AR2008041402988_pf.html

Shy_Panda

imported post

I'll tell you one thing, when I have kids they are going to be getting lawn darts (the old school version) and a wood burning kit, nothing teaches kids like first hand experience.

DrewGunner

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Godscreation wrote:
Fictitious scenerio:
Whats next? meds for all these kids too...?
Robyn Hooker, principal of Kent Gardens Elementary School, has told students they may no longer play tag during recess after determining that the game had gotten out of hand. Hooker explained that tag had become a game "of intense aggression."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/14/AR2008041402988_pf.html
"Tag" leads to school shootings... Didn't you guys know that. Oh and dodge ball too.

dlnwoody

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
I was one of the first few to reply to this article this morning. Evidently my comments were too strong for CNN. I can see not posting one for language but they did ask for opinions. I really hate censorship esp. from a news agency.
M1Gunr that sounds like a name for someone that is or was in the military. If this is true how can you say CNN provides censorship on topics. Were else can you go to find information that should not even be put out on the news. CNN likes to tell everyone about the war before the military even finds out. Again if you are or have been in the military, THANKS FOR SERVING.