• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loudoun County Open Carry

dyver1

imported post

I live in Western FFX right on the Loudoun borer and have recently started open carrying in the area with no issues. I went to dinner last nite at Glory Days at the intersection of Dranesville and Rt 7. Didn't even raise any eye brows. Was in that same shopping center today in several places of business including the McDonalds, again with no issues or questions. The fact that I am slightly older and keep my hair cut short and I dress business casualprobably makes me look like I could be "official" in some way which probably puts people at ease. All in all I have been carrying regularly for the last few weeks in the Herndon, Sterling area with no issues of any kind. I do also have a CCW permit, but this time of year I prefer open because it is just too hot to dress to carry concealed right now.

Your mileage may vary.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

dyver1 wrote:
I live in Western FFX right on the Loudoun borer and have recently started open carrying in the area with no issues. I went to dinner last nite at Glory Days at the intersection of Dranesville and Rt 7. Didn't even raise any eye brows. Was in that same shopping center today in several places of business including the McDonalds, again with no issues or questions. The fact that I am slightly older and keep my hair cut short and I dress business casualprobably makes me look like I could be "official" in some way which probably puts people at ease. All in all I have been carrying regularly for the last few weeks in the Herndon, Sterling area with no issues of any kind. I do also have a CCW permit, but this time of year I prefer open because it is just too hot to dress to carry concealed right now.

Your mileage may vary.

Dyver.. nice 1st post.. welcome to the forum.. I carry in those places too. Try and make our Reston OC dinner at the end of the month too.. just check the Virginia message boards for the invite or PM me.

Ed

dyver1

imported post

Thanks Ed

I am working on my schedule to see if I can make it on the 31st. I have custody of 4 kids, and they are with me that weekend, so getting away may be a challenge. I will reply to the e-vite once we get a little closer and I have an idea about our plans for that weekend since it is the last big hurrah before they all go back to school.

I hope I can make it.

Paul

ed

imported post

dyver1 wrote:
Thanks Ed

I am working on my schedule to see if I can make it on the 31st. I have custody of 4 kids, and they are with me that weekend, so getting away may be a challenge. I will reply to the e-vite once we get a little closer and I have an idea about our plans for that weekend since it is the last big hurrah before they all go back to school.

I hope I can make it.

Paul
Paul.. just bring them with!

ed

imported post

OC at Cascades Corner Bakery. Man walked up and asked me if my "revolver" was real. So I told him it was real but it was not a revolver. I discussed the laws with him for 5 minutes and gave him a stack of "Ed's OC info" cards.

left Corner Bakery with dog and "OpenCarrie" in tow and went to the farmers market. I guy gets out of his car with his wife/gf and says "excuse me!" (I thought.. here we go again...lol). This guys says.. "Are you on OpenCarry.org or VCDL"? I said I was.. and he said.. do you know (or are you) Ed? Wow.. that was weird.. anyway.. he says he is here and has like 30 posts.. I think his name was Heath.. So Heath.. if you are out there.. nice meeting you.

Ed

power_shack

imported post

ed wrote:
OC at Cascades Corner Bakery. Man walked up and asked me if my "revolver" was real. So I told him it was real but it was not a revolver. I discussed the laws with him for 5 minutes and gave him a stack of "Ed's OC info" cards.

left Corner Bakery with dog and "OpenCarrie" in tow and went to the farmers market. I guy gets out of his car with his wife/gf and says "excuse me!" (I thought.. here we go again...lol). This guys says.. "Are you on OpenCarry.org or VCDL"? I said I was.. and he said.. do you know (or are you) Ed? Wow.. that was weird.. anyway.. he says he is here and has like 30 posts.. I think his name was Heath.. So Heath.. if you are out there.. nice meeting you.

Ed
Ed,
It was nice to meet you and "OpenCarrie". That was my wife along with me. Heath is my last name; first name is Bill.

From all the OpenCarry.org posts, I knew you lived close by and I recognized you from pictures of some of the outings I've seen posted on here.

Thanks again for the Open Carry Info Cards. I'll distribute them as appropriate. :D

Take care,
Bill

ed

imported post

Went to the range tonight with DTAG and TexasNative and after the range we went to Logan's in Cascades.. sat on the patio. OpenCarrie came by with RayRay and chatted with us for a bit too. A man came over and introduced himself as Greg said he was a life member of the NRA and liked that we were Open Carrying... I gave him some OC info cards. Our waiter also asked about our carrying and explained he used to shoot his fathers revolver as a kid. He also said after talking to us he might not vote for Obama. When we left another man with his family explained to his kids "those people that were sitting next to us were all Open Carrying firearms".

A good meal and lots of good, positive attention.

Ed

TexasNative

imported post

The next time Ed gives me an assignment, I see I need to carry it out with all due haste, or he'll just do it himself. :D

~ Boyd

P.S. We both neglected to mention that Greg asked if we always open carry in groups of three. While we responded that it must just be a coincidence, it did make me wonder if "3" is The Mystical Open Carry Number. :lol:

DTag

imported post

The best part of the evening, for me, was watching the wheels turning in that 20 year old brain when he (our server) started thinking about the kind of "change" Obama might bring to our country. You could almost see the light bulb go off when he considered the idea that his second amendment rights might be threatened with someone like Obama in office. :idea: It's nice to see people thinking about this candidate in practical terms and realizing that his flowery speech is going to hurt this nation in the long run.

ed

imported post

OC at Countryside Starbucks to a "town meeting" style "coffee" with out Loudoun County Supervisor... met some guy named Brian that has his CHP and is interested in our movement. Hope to see him on the boards soon.

tnolan2008

imported post

I think it's a great idea. I had to miss the last one because I was called out of town due to work. I'm free every day until I find another job. Got interviews tomorrow but will be at the Starbucks right off of Farmwell by the CVS around 4:00 pm if anyone cares to stop by. You can't miss me. I'll be the one wearing a weapon. But for an all out get together, I think that's needed as well. My weekend schedules are free for about the next 5 years as far as I can tell.

Tom