Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puerto Rico carry?

Post imported post

My lady and I may be planning our honeymoon in Puerto Rico. A little research has shown me this little nugget: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaw...uerto_rico.pdf. Now if I'm reading this right, it says:

1. $100 fee in the form of a tax stamp bought from PR police
    2. clean background check, paid for by applicant
    3. 2 passport photos
    4. 3 letters of reference from non relatives
    5. no backup gun carried, 2 guns max in ownership unless you've got a PR a hunting license... (?)
    6. Good for 5 years
    7. Use for practice strictly regulated, 50 rounds purchased at a time (Not something I agree with, but if I need more than 50 rounds to defend the two of us during a week long honeymoon, WE AIN'T GOING THERE!!)
    8. Shall Issue

Some things I like, some things I don't like. Reciprocity? I should hope that a PR license would be worth it for someone other than just living in PR. Looks like this one is federally issued maybe, so good in all 50? Hmm, interesting honeymoon souvenier at very least. I wonder how much I'm going to have to get my Spanish skills up to sort this out if I do get it. I'd sure like to if nothing else because I should be able to if it's possible.

Anyone done this?

Post imported post

Sounds like an interesting pursuit.

Of course, you need to buy two .44 magnum revolvers to be carried cross-draw, and a belt with loops for 38 or so more rounds.

Post imported post

My friends that have their's said it was a nice labrynth of red tape, and they are residents of the island. In the end, it's a case of ease of process based on who you know.

BTW, what part of my home island you visitin'? I lived there 18 years. I might know something about it.

Post imported post

I don't know anyone there, and as of the moment it's still only one of several choices. We're still exploring our options at the moment. If not now, we think PR is definitely in the cards for the future. Perhaps we'll build contacts for the future, as by then it might be a request for two CCW's.

Post imported post

I definitely recommend it. Even though I'm biased, as I lived there most of my life (I'm only 30). Everyone knows how to speak English (even though they may choose not to), you don't need a passport, you don't need to exchange money, there are amazing placesa to visit on the island (there are some pretty ****** ones too), and it falls under the Constitution of the United States of America. How could you go wrong?:celebrate

Post imported post

You don't need a passport? Hmpf, maybe I'll take a trip there... though there's that whole issue of having to fly to get there...

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

I honeymooned in PR back before the turn of the century. I avoided San Juan as much as possible, and I recommend you do the same. Ponce and Mayaguez are pretty nice to visit though.

Post imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
    I definitely recommend it. Even though I'm biased, as I lived there most of my life (I'm only 30). Everyone knows how to speak English (even though they may choose not to), you don't need a passport, you don't need to exchange money, there are amazing placesa to visit on the island (there are some pretty ****** ones too), and it falls under the Constitution of the United States of America. How could you go wrong?:celebrate
    So can you OC there, then?

Post imported post

I was born in Ponce, and can vouch for it if you want to see the way the real PR used to be. Rincon and Isabela on the Northwest coast have the most beautiful and untamed beaches on the island. Bring a surfboard!

No OC, though. That part of the Constitution was never translated.

Post imported post

I know that Puerto Rico is not a state, and the board says stories from the states, but why don't we have a Puerto Rico and a Guam section? D.C. is not a state yet we have a D.C. secion in the stories from the states.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    I know that Puerto Rico is not a state, and the board says stories from the states, but why don't we have a Puerto Rico and a Guam section? D.C. is not a state yet we have a D.C. secion in the stories from the states.
    Virgin Islands too!
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

Where did you get this info, i clicked on the link and got page not available, I want to get the information as I have purchased Land in Puerto Rico and plan on building a Vacation/second home there, and would like to have the option of owning apistol there, my wifes uncle knows police chief in 2 areas, but want to get the information beforehand

BillMCyrus wrote:
    My lady and I may be planning our honeymoon in Puerto Rico. A little research has shown me this little nugget: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaw...uerto_rico.pdf. Now if I'm reading this right, it says:

1. $100 fee in the form of a tax stamp bought from PR police
    2. clean background check, paid for by applicant
    3. 2 passport photos
    4. 3 letters of reference from non relatives
    5. no backup gun carried, 2 guns max in ownership unless you've got a PR a hunting license... (?)
    6. Good for 5 years
    7. Use for practice strictly regulated, 50 rounds purchased at a time (Not something I agree with, but if I need more than 50 rounds to defend the two of us during a week long honeymoon, WE AIN'T GOING THERE!!)
    8. Shall Issue

Some things I like, some things I don't like. Reciprocity? I should hope that a PR license would be worth it for someone other than just living in PR. Looks like this one is federally issued maybe, so good in all 50? Hmm, interesting honeymoon souvenier at very least. I wonder how much I'm going to have to get my Spanish skills up to sort this out if I do get it. I'd sure like to if nothing else because I should be able to if it's possible.

Anyone done this?

Post imported post

Just got off the phone with PR police. No non-resident license shall be issued. No non-resident firearm possession will be allowed. You might as well play Russian roulette.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
    You don't need a passport?
    To travel within the US? Not yet.

Post imported post

Well I imagine , my status would not be non resident as I do own property there have a car registered there and I am registered to Vote with my address there in the town where the house will be soon, it was a house there I had it torn down.

.40 Cal wrote:
    Just got off the phone with PR police. No non-resident license shall be issued. No non-resident firearm possession will be allowed. You might as well play Russian roulette.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:
    You don't need a passport?
    To travel within the US? Not yet.
    Not ever.

Post imported post

bradco wrote:
    Well I imagine , my status would not be non resident as I do own property there have a car registered there and I am registered to Vote with my address there in the town where the house will be soon, it was a house there I had it torn down.
    Good point. I guess I could use my parents' address, but if you look at the fees for a CC permit you'd be very discouraged (as I assume is the goal). You need to have every firearm registered in a database, and the way the law is worded leaves too much open to interpretation. One part of the law states that if someone thinks you might do harm to anyone else, it is the duty of the police to raid your house and confiscate your guns indefinitely. I never knew how fascistic PR could be.

Post imported post

The fees are the least of my worries compared to self preservation, my other thought is a well trained German Sheperd on my property, I am warmining up the Wife on that one, she is not found of Dogs or Guns. but I would feel safer if she was protected while I am at work or other places, once we move there.

Post imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
    Just got off the phone with PR police.Â* No non-resident license shall be issued.Â* No non-resident firearm possession will be allowed.Â* You might as well play Russian roulette.
    Then **** that and **** them. They will never get a dime of my money for having that kind of policy. I will write their government and let them get an eyeful of what I have to say, and monitor their elections, possibly contribute money to the campaigns of whoever will get them out of power. That is simply intolerable. For those with contacts with the cops there, see to it that those who have a policy of no non-resident carry are fired, evicted from their place of residence, and kicked off the island.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Very Harsh considering this was question regarding Carry in Puerto Rico not Bash Puerto Rico about things you fail to understand, I am african american born and have grown up Loving the Latin Culture, maybe you were expecting too much, as far as the bad parts that is everywhere, tell me one town that does not have it flaws

Post imported post

Post imported post

PM for info on Puerto Rico's firearms laws.

Post imported post

BillMCyrus wrote:
    .40 Cal wrote:
    Then **** that and **** them. They will never get a dime of my money for having that kind of policy. I will write their government and let them get an eyeful of what I have to say, and monitor their elections, possibly contribute money to the campaigns of whoever will get them out of power. That is simply intolerable. For those with contacts with the cops there, see to it that those who have a policy of no non-resident carry are fired, evicted from their place of residence, and kicked off the island.
    C'mon, Billy Boy, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

Too many posts to correct so heres a summary...

Firearms ownership is shall issue subject to 25LPRA Sec 456a. The law doesn't require you to live in PR to own/carry firearms [25 LPRA Sec 456a(a)(8)]. Open carry is a no-go [25 LPRA Sec 456a(d)(1)&(2)].

http://www.michie.com/puertorico/lpe...plates&2.0#

May issue CCH info is subject to 25 LPRA Sec 456d.

http://www.michie.com/puertorico/lpE...plates&2.0#

Penalties for a non licencee having firearms down here are subject to 25 LPRA Sec 458c. Basically 10 years in state penitentiary with no parole.

http://www.michie.com/puertorico/lpe...plates&2.0#

Links should be good for a couple of days. If they go bad you can find the statutes here:

http://www.gobierno.pr/Estado/inicio/Leyes.htm

The PR Supreme Court has issued opinions on this subjects, feel free to look them up here:

http://www.ramajudicial.pr/OpinionesTS/dtSearch.html

Links may stop working after a couple of weeks. PM for more info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast