• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Puerto Rico carry?

BillMCyrus

imported post

My lady and I may be planning our honeymoon in Puerto Rico. A little research has shown me this little nugget: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaw...uerto_rico.pdf. Now if I'm reading this right, it says:

1. $100 fee in the form of a tax stamp bought from PR police
2. clean background check, paid for by applicant
3. 2 passport photos
4. 3 letters of reference from non relatives
5. no backup gun carried, 2 guns max in ownership unless you've got a PR a hunting license... (?)
6. Good for 5 years
7. Use for practice strictly regulated, 50 rounds purchased at a time (Not something I agree with, but if I need more than 50 rounds to defend the two of us during a week long honeymoon, WE AIN'T GOING THERE!!)
8. Shall Issue

Some things I like, some things I don't like. Reciprocity? I should hope that a PR license would be worth it for someone other than just living in PR. Looks like this one is federally issued maybe, so good in all 50? Hmm, interesting honeymoon souvenier at very least. I wonder how much I'm going to have to get my Spanish skills up to sort this out if I do get it. I'd sure like to if nothing else because I should be able to if it's possible.

Anyone done this?

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

My friends that have their's said it was a nice labrynth of red tape, and they are residents of the island. In the end, it's a case of ease of process based on who you know.

BTW, what part of my home island you visitin'? I lived there 18 years. I might know something about it.

BillMCyrus

imported post

I don't know anyone there, and as of the moment it's still only one of several choices. We're still exploring our options at the moment. If not now, we think PR is definitely in the cards for the future. Perhaps we'll build contacts for the future, as by then it might be a request for two CCW's. :D

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I definitely recommend it. Even though I'm biased, as I lived there most of my life (I'm only 30). Everyone knows how to speak English (even though they may choose not to), you don't need a passport, you don't need to exchange money, there are amazing placesa to visit on the island (there are some pretty shitty ones too), and it falls under the Constitution of the United States of America. How could you go wrong?:celebrate

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I honeymooned in PR back before the turn of the century. I avoided San Juan as much as possible, and I recommend you do the same. Ponce and Mayaguez are pretty nice to visit though.

expvideo

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
I definitely recommend it. Even though I'm biased, as I lived there most of my life (I'm only 30). Everyone knows how to speak English (even though they may choose not to), you don't need a passport, you don't need to exchange money, there are amazing placesa to visit on the island (there are some pretty shitty ones too), and it falls under the Constitution of the United States of America. How could you go wrong?:celebrate
So can you OC there, then?

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I was born in Ponce, and can vouch for it if you want to see the way the real PR used to be. Rincon and Isabela on the Northwest coast have the most beautiful and untamed beaches on the island. Bring a surfboard!

No OC, though. That part of the Constitution was never translated.:lol:

Thundar

imported post

I know that Puerto Rico is not a state, and the board says stories from the states, but why don't we have a Puerto Rico and a Guam section? D.C. is not a state yet we have a D.C. secion in the stories from the states.

Flintlock

imported post

Thundar wrote:
I know that Puerto Rico is not a state, and the board says stories from the states, but why don't we have a Puerto Rico and a Guam section? D.C. is not a state yet we have a D.C. secion in the stories from the states.
Virgin Islands too!

bradco

imported post

Where did you get this info, i clicked on the link and got page not available, I want to get the information as I have purchased Land in Puerto Rico and plan on building a Vacation/second home there, and would like to have the option of owning apistol there, my wifes uncle knows police chief in 2 areas, but want to get the information beforehand

BillMCyrus wrote:
My lady and I may be planning our honeymoon in Puerto Rico. A little research has shown me this little nugget: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaw...uerto_rico.pdf. Now if I'm reading this right, it says:

1. $100 fee in the form of a tax stamp bought from PR police
2. clean background check, paid for by applicant
3. 2 passport photos
4. 3 letters of reference from non relatives
5. no backup gun carried, 2 guns max in ownership unless you've got a PR a hunting license... (?)
6. Good for 5 years
7. Use for practice strictly regulated, 50 rounds purchased at a time (Not something I agree with, but if I need more than 50 rounds to defend the two of us during a week long honeymoon, WE AIN'T GOING THERE!!)
8. Shall Issue

Some things I like, some things I don't like. Reciprocity? I should hope that a PR license would be worth it for someone other than just living in PR. Looks like this one is federally issued maybe, so good in all 50? Hmm, interesting honeymoon souvenier at very least. I wonder how much I'm going to have to get my Spanish skills up to sort this out if I do get it. I'd sure like to if nothing else because I should be able to if it's possible.

Anyone done this?

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Just got off the phone with PR police. No non-resident license shall be issued. No non-resident firearm possession will be allowed. You might as well play Russian roulette.

bradco

imported post

Well I imagine , my status would not be non resident as I do own property there have a car registered there and I am registered to Vote with my address there in the town where the house will be soon, it was a house there I had it torn down.

.40 Cal wrote:
Just got off the phone with PR police. No non-resident license shall be issued. No non-resident firearm possession will be allowed. You might as well play Russian roulette.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

bradco wrote:
Well I imagine , my status would not be non resident as I do own property there have a car registered there and I am registered to Vote with my address there in the town where the house will be soon, it was a house there I had it torn down.

Good point. I guess I could use my parents' address, but if you look at the fees for a CC permit you'd be very discouraged (as I assume is the goal). You need to have every firearm registered in a database, and the way the law is worded leaves too much open to interpretation. One part of the law states that if someone thinks you might do harm to anyone else, it is the duty of the police to raid your house and confiscate your guns indefinitely. I never knew how fascistic PR could be.

bradco

imported post

The fees are the least of my worries compared to self preservation, my other thought is a well trained German Sheperd on my property, I am warmining up the Wife on that one, she is not found of Dogs or Guns. but I would feel safer if she was protected while I am at work or other places, once we move there.

BillMCyrus

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
Just got off the phone with PR police.  No non-resident license shall be issued.  No non-resident firearm possession will be allowed.  You might as well play Russian roulette.
Then **** that and **** them. They will never get a dime of my money for having that kind of policy. I will write their government and let them get an eyeful of what I have to say, and monitor their elections, possibly contribute money to the campaigns of whoever will get them out of power. That is simply intolerable. For those with contacts with the cops there, see to it that those who have a policy of no non-resident carry are fired, evicted from their place of residence, and kicked off the island.