• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone know of a good lawyer from Kitsap Co?

zakst1

imported post

I am asking because I am trying to help out a friend of mine. The situation is that the county sherriff issued him a CPL and followed that basically the next day with a letter informing him that he needed to return it immediately due to a prior conviction, which is incorrect. He was charged as a minor for an MIP, but the case was dismissed so he was never convicted. He's a good guy and I want to see him clear this up. I'm furious that this can happen.

By the way, I just read the post about RCW 9.41.0975 which actually covers the butts of those who issue a CPL to someone who supposedly is uneligable to obtain one. That also is is unjust and extremely infuriating... What can you do.. it's our government...

So if there is a good lawyer that anyone know's of, I would really appreciate the help.

G27

imported post

Not sure why. MIP is a gross misdemeanor in Washington state. Even if was on his record I doubt it'd prohibit it from getting a CPL. Infact, I just read the code and only people with felonies or "(f) He or she has an outstanding warrant for his or her arrest from any court of competent jurisdiction for a felony or misdemeanor;"

TechnoWeenie

imported post

G27 wrote:
"(f) He or she has an outstanding warrant for his or her arrest from any court of competent jurisdiction for a felony or misdemeanor;"

So, I guess that warrants issued by morons are looked past? :lol:

zakst1

imported post

Ok, my bad.. by MIP i meant Minor In Possesion of a firearm. He was in a car with another guy and his dad's pistol was in the car too. I should have elaborated on that earlier...

uncoolperson

imported post

zakst1 wrote:
Ok, my bad.. by MIP i meant Minor In Possesion of a firearm. He was in a car with another guy and his dad's pistol was in the car too. I should have elaborated on that earlier...

If it was dismissed didn't he get some kind of paperwork for it? was it explained that this charge was the reason? would taking in the paperwork and explaining the charge was dismissed do anything?

also, isn't there a time limit of a year or so for carrying illegally interupting getting a permit? maybe just wait it out rather than hire a lawyer...

zakst1

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
zakst1 wrote:

If it was dismissed didn't he get some kind of paperwork for it? was it explained that this charge was the reason? would taking in the paperwork and explaining the charge was dismissed do anything?

also, isn't there a time limit of a year or so for carrying illegally interupting getting a permit? maybe just wait it out rather than hire a lawyer...
That's what I would have thought. He told me that he does have a legal court document stating "Case Dismissed". Not "Guilty". He told me that after speaking to a lawyer last Friday, who I think is a retard, the lawyer told him that "Case dismissed" is a finding of guilt, which doesn't make any sense.. The prosecuter made a deal with him that if "he was a good boy and goes to school every day for the next year and stays out of trouble, then this whole thing would just go away and they would drop charges" which is what happened. She also told him that she won't even look at his case until he starts paying her $175 an hour. After hearing that, I want to do everything that I can to help him resolve this because this is a flaming injustice. He made a stupid mistake when he was a kid. He is now married, a father, a home owner and holds his second gov't job. He is responsible and there is no reason that I can understand why he should be raped of his God given right.

kparker

imported post

In regard to The Stranger article, I'd love to know what the reality might possibly have been behind this completely-mangled statement:

Then King County sent him a notice that his gun permits were being revoked. Smith reluctantly but dutifully sold his guns.

joeroket

imported post

zakst1 wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:
zakst1 wrote:

That's what I would have thought. He told me that he does have a legal court document stating "Case Dismissed". Not "Guilty". He told me that after speaking to a lawyer last Friday, who I think is a retard, the lawyer told him that "Case dismissed" is a finding of guilt, which doesn't make any sense.. The prosecuter made a deal with him that if "he was a good boy and goes to school every day for the next year and stays out of trouble, then this whole thing would just go away and they would drop charges" which is what happened. She also told him that she won't even look at his case until he starts paying her $175 an hour. After hearing that, I want to do everything that I can to help him resolve this because this is a flaming injustice. He made a stupid mistake when he was a kid. He is now married, a father, a home owner and holds his second gov't job. He is responsible and there is no reason that I can understand why he should be raped of his God given right.
So it wasn't really a dismissed case but a deferred sentence. The prosecutor at the time may have screwed up and not petitioned the court to fully dismiss the charges and it is showing up on his record.

just_a_car

imported post

kparker wrote:
In regard to The Stranger article, I'd love to know what the reality might possibly have been behind this completely-mangled statement:

Then King County sent him a notice that his gun permits were being revoked. Smith reluctantly but dutifully sold his guns.
That's a good question, since you don't need a permit to own a gun in Washington... unless he had a felony conviction that made it illegal to own guns, which is, in itself, a crime if he did have guns.

Lysander

imported post

joeroket wrote:
zakst1 wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:
zakst1 wrote:

So it wasn't really a dismissed case but a deferred sentence. The prosecutor at the time may have screwed up and not petitioned the court to fully dismiss the charges and it is showing up on his record.
That's my take on it. Sentence deferred, not dropped.

As for the fees.... it sounds like he got a free consult out of it.

[sub]Nothing in the above message constitutes Legal Advice. Material is provided for informational/entertainment or other purposes and is not intended to constitute or be relied upon as Legal Advice. This is not an offer to form an attorney-client relationship. This is not advertising, nor intended to be such. While I am an attorney, I am NOT YOUR attorney.[/sub]

Bear 45/70

imported post

zakst1, have you contacted the guy that sv_libertarian set to you? He's you man, lives and works out ofKitsapCountyand knows the law and how to solve problems. On top ov that, he is a gun guy.

zakst1

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
zakst1, have you contacted the guy that sv_libertarian set to you? He's you man, lives and works out ofKitsapCountyand knows the law and how to solve problems. On top ov that, he is a gun guy.
Yes, he has contacted him and it sounds as though the guy SV told me about has more interest in the situation then the previous lawyer that my friend spoke with.

zakst1

imported post

joeroket wrote:
amlevin wrote:
zakst1 wrote:
holds his second gov't job.
Makes one wonder why those in charge of "vetting" him for his two government jobs didn't find this in his record.
It may not have been considered disqualifying for the jobif in fact it is on his record as a conviction.

He told me that the FBI personnally went to his home and questioned him on this specific case while in the process of getting his clearance.