• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tacoma--Target store on Union=OC friendly

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I'll post the "non-incident" experience that I had today at the Target at Union & HWY16. I had been shopping a while, and had been around the store a couple times (not finding what I was looking for) and I was approached by a younger guy who was well-dressed. We made eye contact and he came my direction as I gave him the standard "nod" as to say "hello."

A few steps awayhe said, "Hello, sir,I'm (told me his name, which I'll keep to myself out of respect for his privacy), and I'mwithSecurity here. [After we shook hands he looked down to my hip] Oh, OK...it's in a holster, have a good evening, sir." He began to walk away.

"Yup, it's holstered." I said. "Why? What's going on?"

"Oh, I had one ofthe team members call me, all frantic, saying there was a guy walking around with a gun. I asked her if it was in a holster and she said "yeah" and so I told her thatit was completely legal to carrylike that. So have a good evening." He started to walk away.

I say, "OK, hey, I really appreciate that."

"Appreciate what?"

"That you actually know the law....plenty of people in your position don't, and that can causesome issues, occasionally."

He says, "Yeah, well that's one of the freedoms in this country....." We talked a little bit more and he said that he was a CJ major and that the gun laws were something he knew a lot about [I'll agree] and he said he would inform the employee that he made contact with me, and that everything is OK.

I spent another couple of minutes shopping and went to the check out and he came back and went to the other side of the register (next to the checker) and said that some people would probably be nervous so he'd just hang around so that everyone knew I was "OK." We continued to chat, and I told him that I'd been here probably 25 times while open carrying and never had a problem, to which he was very surprised to hear. I told him that probably 95% of people I pass, don't even notice, and we agreed that it was kinda scary that people are that oblivious to their surroundings. We continued to talk and he asked me what I was carrying [stainless Kahr K9 w/lasergrips in a 3-slot Galco Thumbreak holster], and said that he concealed carries a lot of the time (off the clock, I would assume) and that he carries a Springfield XD40.

We continued to talk as he walked me out the front door w/my purchases, and we stood there on the front sidewalk for about another 10 minutes talking about open carry, after which I told him about OCDO and he said that he hadn't heard of it, and that he would check it out. I half expect that he'll probably read account this tonight.

Overall a WONDERFUL "non-incident incident," andI definitely appreciate the extremely polite and professional manner with which I was dealt with. I'll continue to shop there will pass along the good news that this store is OC friendly, or at least the right people are OC friendly.

Cue-Ball

imported post

Great experience! It's refreshing to find there's someone knowledgeable about firearms and gun laws at a big box store like Target. If I were you I'd write a letter to Target corporate telling them about this positive experience. Make sure to mention the gentleman who helped you by name. Maybe he'll get a pay bump and will be able to afford a new piece or some extra range time. :)

Mainsail

imported post

I was in this Target today without any problem. As I was walking out a 20-something man about to enter asked if the gun was real. One day I’ll come up with a really snappy answer, but I just said yes, of course it is. He then proceeded to tell me it was illegal and that I had to carry concealed. The conversation took place as we were passing; neither of us stopped but simply slowed down a little. As we parted he told me to “do [my] homework”

The paradigm has shifted. Now everyone thinks concealed carry is ‘normal’ and open is illegal.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Well, you'd better start doing your homework then, Chris! You're gonnaget arrested!;) j/k

Was it one of the employees, or just some random customer. I've OC'ed right past their uniformed security guard a couple of times since the above incident, gun side towards him, and never a word, or even a second look.

Mainsail

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
Well, you'd better start doing your homework then, Chris! You're gonnaget arrested!;) j/k

Was it one of the employees, or just some random customer. I've OC'ed right past their uniformed security guard a couple of times since the above incident, gun side towards him, and never a word, or even a second look.
It was just a customer entering the store. I got an odd look from a mom pushing her baby carriage who passed him going in, as though she might have thought we were going to argue about it.

I always wonder about their security personnel. The one at the door looked like he was 19 or 20; skinny, and I question his ability to secure anything. I don’t think anyone in the store would feel ‘safer’ with him or his co-workers there. It seems like a waste of money to employ them. Then I wonder how impotent he feels when one of us walk by carrying openly.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
I always wonder about their security personnel. The one at the door looked like he was 19 or 20; skinny, and I question his ability to secure anything. I don’t think anyone in the store would feel ‘safer’ with him or his co-workers there. It seems like a waste of money to employ them. Then I wonder how impotent he feels when one of us walk by carrying openly.

You bring up a couple of good points. The 'ability to secure' has very little to do with the way that the normal Target customer (or citizen) will perceive the uniformed security. He may just need to be a clean-cut kid that looks good in uniform to make people 'feel safer' while in the store. We all know that "feeling safe" and actually BEING safe are two very different things. Most of society are content with "feeling safe" until, under trying circumstances, they find out that they were never "safe" to begin with. The media, police, and otherpeople in the public eyeperpetuate these misconceptions when they use words like "safe neighborhoods,""it won't happen here" and "low crime rates." If people are free, there are risks that come with that freedom, and the free man is never safe, unless he chooses to protect himself.

The second point,I don't know if "impotent" is the right word, butwhen one of use walks by while OCing, if he has a head on his shoulders, he probably thinks something to the effect of, "Great, now someone who can actually DO SOMETHING if something really bad happens. I hope he sticks around for a while!" If I were in his shoes, I'd make sure and welcome the "extra muscle."

Agent 47

imported post

It would seem that all Target stores are OC friendly, I have never had any issues in any of my local Target locations.

Ajetpilot

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
...he probably thinks something to the effect of, "Great, now someone who can actually DO SOMETHING if something really bad happens.

He may think that, but he would be mistaken. I don't carry to protect anyone other than me and my loved ones. If anyone else in the store wants protection, they better bring their own.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
...he probably thinks something to the effect of, "Great, now someone who can actually DO SOMETHING if something really bad happens.

He may think that, but he would be mistaken. I don't carry to protect anyone other than me and my loved ones. If anyone else in the store wants protection, they better bring their own.

While I do agree with your point, if an altercation of a serious nature goes down in front of you (while open carrying) and the bad guy notices your gun, you can be pretty sure that if you weren't involved before, you will be volunteered to be involved soon. The attack might suddenly get placed in your lap because someone might think you were a cop/security/etc.....

Also, while I don't have a superhero complex or anything,I help people change tires when they appear mechanically or physically incompetent to do so, I was involved in a volunteer Search and Rescue organization as a youth, and genuinely feel a responsibility to help others in need when I am able. If someone was getting raped/stabbed/shot/maimed/etc. in front of me, and I had theability and opportunityto do something to stop it, I would. "Love thy neighbor as thyself." I feel like this is part of that. Wow, this is really off-topic for the target thread, sorry.

Ajetpilot

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
While I do agree with your point, if an altercation of a serious nature goes down in front of you (while open carrying) and the bad guy notices your gun, you can be pretty sure that if you weren't involved before, you will be volunteered to be involved soon. The attack might suddenly get placed in your lap because someone might think you were a cop/security/etc.....

Point well taken. Actually, didn't we have this discussion in a different thread several months ago?

We now return this discussion to the topic of the Target Store on Union...

Mainsail

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
...and I was approached by a younger guy who was well-dressed.
I met him again today and again he asked me about my pistol. He actually noticed I was carrying a different pistol than the last time, unless he was remembering you. Like you, he said it was employees who expressed concern. He asked me to conceal, I said I could not not (and would not) he said OK and left. As he was walking away he asked me to conceal next time, but didn't wait around to hear my reply.

Guest1650

imported post

it sounds like a good situation. I havnt OC'd there yet.. but last night, i wanted to OC in the olympia target.. but, i wasnt sure on the policy, or.. what trouble i would get into.. so i just left my pistol in my car.. as i went up, i noticed NO signs prohiniting firearms.

have any of you OCd there?

Bear 45/70

imported post

phil teters wrote:
it sounds like a good situation. I havnt OC'd there yet.. but last night, i wanted to OC in the olympia target.. but, i wasnt sure on the policy, or.. what trouble i would get into.. so i just left my pistol in my car.. as i went up, i noticed NO signs prohiniting firearms.

have any of you OCd there?
Target appears to be following state law. Even if they decide they don't likeyou and/or your gunthe worst they can do is tell you to leave and if you don't, "trespass" you. If you leave even if the cops get called they can't do anything unless you refuse to leave.

Guest1650

imported post

well, it's good to know that you have oC'd there.

I'll do it next time i have to go up there. I'd hate to stop shopping there, they have pretty reasonable prices..