• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry and check-in of firearm at Rent Regional Justice Center - no problems.

Cue-Ball

imported post

I had to serve (or at least show up for) jury duty yesterday and today (Monday and Tuesday) at the Regional Justice Center in Kent. As we're all well aware, by state law courthouses have to provide either a lock box or a "designated person" for the checking of firearms while in the "gun free except for the police zone". Yesterday I carried my Springfield 9mm in a level 2 serpa holster. It was cold out when I left around 7:00, so I was concealing under a light jacket. I went through the line and when I got to the metal detectors I advised the woman working there that I had a firearm to check. She had to have a sheriff's officer come over, then he had to call someone else to meet me at the check-in room. I had to fill out some simple paperwork - nothing too detailed, and lock my gun in the box. Note that they keep the key to the box and the room is locked as well. I'm not sure why they don't let you hold on to the key to make sure that your items are not messed with in your absense. After my service was over I went back and retrieved my gun (and my folding knife). Picking the gun up took several minutes as the women working the office apparently can't check weapons in or out, so I had to wait for a sheriff to get there before I could get my stuff back. Even when they're in the same building, the cops are still minutes away. :) Today I did basically the same routine except that it was a bit warmer so I was openly carrying outside of a sweatshirt. I also changed holsters and wore my on-the-belt leather DeSantis today instead of the Serpa since it's a long drive from Kirkland to Kent and the DeSantis is a hell of a lot more comfortable in the car. I was asked to remove the entire holster and not remove the weapon from the holster. A bit of a pain when using a non-paddle design, but understandable. I also knew enough not to bother standing in line and went straight to the check-in room. Both times I checked in and out I was asked if I was a LEO. I'm not sure what gave anyone that idea other than perhaps not very many people check/carry weapons. I certainly wasn't dressed like the stereotypical off duty officer. It's also worth noting that I was asked for a CPL my first day. I was concealing, so it wasn't a great test. I wish I had been openly carrying and had left my CPL in the car so that I could truthfully say that I didn't have one. "Check CPL" was actually one of the items on the little checklist on the wall of the check-in room, so I really wonder what they would have said and done if one weren't available. It's also worth noting that both times I picked up my goods I was not asked for a license or any proof that I was actually getting my own stuff. So, I recommend going when you know someone else is checking a pistol that's nicer than your own. ;)

All in all both days were uneventful and the facilities were in compliance with the law. I didn't get any negative comments from anyone - not even a "you should cover that up". Nobody fled the building screaming and the officers were all professional, if a little slow in making their way to me. I'd say it was a pretty positive experience overall.

And, just to really push my luck, on the way home after being released from jury duty I open carried in the Bellevue Whole Foods. Nobody said a peep. I even had a good conversation with one of the guys at the meat counter and forgot something at the register which the checker had to run out to me. Again, nobody screamed and ran from the store, the sky didn't fall, and I wasn't proned out and arrested. :)

edit: The title should say "Kent", not "Rent". Damn fingers.