• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bought my first AR today! :-D

Stealth Potato

imported post

So, I finally caved today and bought one of the Bushmaster lower + Stag upper setups at Wade's. $800 for the basic setup, and I added a $40 handle+sight. I figure I might pimp it out with crazy accessories later; for now I just wanted to get into the game for a reasonable amount of cash. :lol:

Incidentally, I had a pretty funny OC adventure along the way. I had just run out of checks, so I had to make a detour to my bank to make a large cash withdrawal. There was a branch conveniently located in the U District, so there I was, walking north on the Ave. I was wearing black slacks, a white dress shirt (open collar, no tie), and, of course, my Kimber Custom II.

Just about half a block north of 45th, I noticed an SPD officer standing on the sidewalk, talking to a woman. We were on the west side of the street, and the officer was standing on the right side of the sidewalk, so I was passing him strongside. As I approached, the officer glanced over, did a double-take, and then just stared at my sidearm. I just gave him a smile and a nod and kept walking; he turned around as I passed and kept staring at my gun, but he never said a word. I guess either he knew it was legal, or he was just too busy talking to the other person to gripe at me about it.:lol: The look on his face sure was intense, though; it was like he'd never seen a gun before! :shock:

Other than that, it was completely uneventful. I OC'd into my bank with no problems, was greeted politely by the tellers, deposited some checks, got my cash, and left. Nobody in the bank seemed the least bit fazed that I had a .45-caliber pistol strapped to my hip. I then caught the MT 271 from 45th and the Ave over to Bellevue, transferred at the transit center, went to Wade's, bought my AR, fired a mag through it to get acquainted, and hauled it back the same way.

On the bus on the way back, a guy did jokingly ask me if I regularly go out and about with both a handgun and a rifle. I should have come up with some witty response, but instead I just mentioned that I had just bought the rifle. (It was in the box, so this probably should have been apparent anyway.) Oh well. :p

So, good times all around! And, finally, pics! Here's the new rifle with my Kimber Custom II (which is what I was carrying today) and my TK helmet:

attachment.php

Attachments

• ar15_002.jpg
    ar15_002.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 739

just_a_car

imported post

Nice pick up there Trip! Did you go grab that because of what I had told you about helping my friend out with his AR purchase? (essentially the same gun, but he go the rail-mounted flip-sight, no carry handle).

expvideo

imported post

Now why'd you have to go and do a thing like that? Getting me all inspired to buy another rifle. My fiancee isn't going to be very happy with you. Beautiful rifle.

And to answer thebastidge's question, I have no experience with the carbon 15, but it isn't very popular and I would suggest getting some opinions over at ar15.com. I don't know much about it, but I know a lot of people turn their noses up at it.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:
Here's the new rifle with my Kimber Custom II (which is what I was carrying today) and my TK helmet:

attachment.php
So, um, were you wearing the helmet at the time? I think that might account more for the odd looks you got than wearing the handgun in public. ;)

expvideo

imported post

If you happen to have the whole outfit, you should take a picture holding an AR15 dressed as a storm trooper. That would be some major cool points :D

retrodad

imported post

I think I'm more taken aback by the fact that you were allowed to fire the AR-15 at Wade's. Or are you a member? I thought all but pistol-caliber rounds were prohibited from being fired there anymore except for members (due to idiots shooting up the target arms).

DrewGunner

imported post

Jamfish wrote:
I think I'm more taken aback by the fact that you were allowed to fire the AR-15 at Wade's. Or are you a member? I thought all but pistol-caliber rounds were prohibited from being fired there anymore except for members (due to idiots shooting up the target arms).
I think they make you shoot their "Frangible Ammunition".

Stealth Potato

imported post

No, I'm not a member, but the guy who sold it to me said I could take it for a quick test drive in the member's bay if he tagged along. No frangible ammunition; I was shooting 55 grain FMJ.

DrewGunner

imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:
No, I'm not a member, but the guy who sold it to me said I could take it for a quick test drive in the member's bay if he tagged along. No frangible ammunition; I was shooting 55 grain FMJ.
Thats good to know. The guy at champion's thought I was crazy when I told him I had regular FMJ's.

expvideo

imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:

They weren't that nice to me when I bought my AK.

me: "can I test fire this?"

salesman: "no."

Misguided Child

imported post

Very nice rifle! I hope you have good health insurance... "Black Rifle Disease" is very expensive to treat.

Symptoms will begin in your head, things like "Hmmm, A carbine top would look pretty cool, and better for house defense" or "Man, if I had one of those 24" varmint barrels I could REALLY reach out and touch someone", or, "Those ACOG's look badass, I'd need one in a SHTF situation"

Next thing you know, cases of ammo show upat the door...and the dog'sgetting skinny.

Have fun with that thing!