• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Competency - Responsibility, Legal Competency and Demonstrated Ability With a Handgun

How Often Do You Practice With Your Carry Weapon?

• More than once per week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

• Bi-Weekly

• Monthly

• Yearly

• What is a Firing Range?

• Total voters

ODA 226

imported post

While we speak of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, CC, OC, caliber's weapon and holsterselectionetc., I have yet to see any thread on the importance of competency with a handgun and knowing your limitations as a responsible shooter.

Having spent 18 years as a US Army Special Forces Trooper and 5 years as a LEO, I place a premium on marksmanship skills in all sorts of tactical and non-tactical settings. I religiously practice on a regular basis, usually weekly, with my carry weapon AND the ammunition that I carry on the street.

It is expensive, but it serves one well to know where the round will strike with your chosen weapon/ ammo carry combination and will assist your defense if you are ever involved in a shooting incident. It additionally shows you what your limitations are as a shooter.

How often do you practice with your carry weapon? What is your TRUE level of marksmanship? How often do you maintain your weapon and rotate your ammunition? Are you up-to-date on self-defense laws in your state? Do you KNOW that you are doing everything in your power to be a RESPONSIBLE citizen while carrying a weapon?

I know that some may be offended by the above questions, but I truly believe that all of the above points are important for us as individuals and as a group.

I am attaching photos of targets from my most recent trip at the range. I very well know at what ranges I can competently engage a man-sized target with my carry weapon and how fast I can engage my target and hit where I aim with a reasonable degree of professional certainty. Do you know YOUR limitations?

I challenge all to post range photos, but please, be honest with your data! This is not a marksmanship challenge, but merely an attempt to get us thinking about our responsibilities as legally armed citizens.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nice shooting ODA!

I try to get to the range every few weeks. Since the only local public range is outdoor and 30 minutes away in the middle of nowhere, it is difficult to get to in the winter so I haven't been in several months (plus my weekends have been encumbered by my fiancee of late). Now with DST and longer daylight, I can run out to the range after work every few weeks again.

My proficiency is not any where near where I want it to be. I developed an anticipation flinch last fall that is very frustrating and has eroded some confidence. I don't exhibit it at all during dry fire. I started training with snap caps mixed in the mags at the range which was rather effective towards getting me over it just before winter weather and other obligations interfered with my training. The more I think about my shooting the worse it gets. When I just relax and do it not a problem. Kinda like my golf game. Need more range time for sure.

Thundar

imported post

Accurate range shooting. Very proficient. You would do well in our occasional postal shooting matches. What range do you use?

There are many motor function skills that one should practice:

1. Drawing a magazine from the magazine pouch to and reloading.

2. Transitioning to a BUG with either hand.

3. Quickly drawing one's gun from the holster.

4. Turning on the voice recorder before OCing.

ODA 226

imported post

Thanks Deep!

Anticipation flinch is a big problem with many shooters, even extremely proficient ones. This occurs when you take too much time to "think" about proper sight alignment, body positioning, grip, recoiletc. As a matter of fact, the one flier in my 32 round group was caused by me "slapping" the trigger and I knew I had screwed up the moment the pistol discharged!

There is a way to overcome this. Have a range partner load multiple magazines with a couple of dummy rounds interspaced with live rounds. Make sure that you do not know when the dummy rounds are coming up in the magazine.

Then with each shot, lower your weapon into a low ready position and then present the weapon byPUSHING the weapon OUT and UP TO YOUR EYES, aim and fire within 3 seconds of presentation. Concentrate only on the front sightpost, smooth trigger manipulation and follow-through. Return to the low-ready position.

If you are suffering from recoil anticipation and pull the trigger on a dummy round, your over-compensation or flinch will show immediately. After pulling the trigger on multiple dummies, you will no longer anticipate the recoil or if you do, it will be lessened with practice and time.

If possible, video your shooting sessions. You will be able to observe and critique yourself and be able to SEE what you're doing wrong and correct yourself. This is something I've done for years and it has definately improved my shooting ability. I also keep records of all of my shooting practices just in case something "bad" happens some day and if I'm forced to go to court.

I was really hoping to get more responses to this thread as I really think it to be important. I hope that more folks here will comment and post pics here also. Let's help each other become better shooters!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That is the techniqe I was working with at the range, ODA. It's a totally psychological thing and it doesn't matter what pistol I'm using, ie it is not a "fear" of the round. Frustrating because it only shows up in live fire so it is not something I can work on off range.

ODA 226

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
That is the techniqe I was working with at the range, ODA. It's a totally psychological thing and it doesn't matter what pistol I'm using, ie it is not a "fear" of the round. Frustrating because it only shows up in live fire so it is not something I can work on off range.
I wish you lived in Virginia. I know that if we worked together on this, we could have you squared away in about an hour.

ODA 226

imported post

Thanks Thundar! I shoot at Lynnhaven on the week nights near closing time. The staff there know me and will let me shoot my Class III weapons and shoot my pistols with no "speed limit".

I also have a friend up in Saluda that has 100+ acres to shoot movers, steel and bowling pins, so I go to his property a lot.

I agree with your recommended list of motor skills to master and I would add one more very important item: transitioning from strong-to-weak hand shooting. I would bet my next paycheck that less than 10% of the membership of this board have EVER fired a weapon, be it rifle, pistol or shotgun, with their weak hand.

(BTW: Regarding drawing a weapon REMEMBER THIS... SMOOTH IS FAST!)

This is a CRUCIAL skill in your shooting development. Think of all the times when making a transition to your weak hand exponentially increases your survivability, such as moving around corners, proper utilization of cover, etc.

What IF you are wounded in your strong hand before being able to fire your weapon? Does the average OC or CCer know how to react? With no military or police experience, probably not. Even then, without advanced professional training that is practiced to the point of muscle memory even these advanced shooters may fail the ultimate test.

I hope people will read this advice and take it to heart. Practice weak-side shooting. Practice mag changes. Practice making transitions to your BUG if you carry one.Practice immediate action drills. Do everything you can to ensure that you are totally prepared for ANY situation...mentally, physically, legally and mechanically.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
I wish you lived in Virginia. I know that if we worked together on this, we could have you squared away in about an hour.
I do too. I would love to go shooting with you. I am sure it would be a "take it to another level" experience.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Depends on the time of year how often I practice.During the summer when its warm it can be as often as once a week.During the winterit may be as infrequent asonce every two months.

But then, I can't afford really to shoot anything other than a .22 every week. I can only really use "serious" calibers once a month or so.

I always practice left hand only (left eye) and right hand only (right eye), as well as both hands. [both eyes are always open, but only one can line up the sights at a time]

Honestly, I'm not a very good shot (relatively), but Iknow what Ican hit atvarious distances, and I wouldn't attempt a target beyond the distance that I felt I could safely hit it without endangering others.

Even without being able to hit a nickel at 300 yards in 1/10 of a second left handed from the hip, and not knowing the proper techniques to root geurillas out of spider holes, I feel at the least much better prepared for defending myself and those around me than the average person who goes about unarmed.I know the stuff I mentioned in this paragraph is exaggerated, and that I'm not as proficient as I couldbe,but it takes timeand moneyto become the fastest shot in the west. I'm all for being more skilled though, and if I had infinite money you bet I'd practice all the time.

FightingGlock19

imported post

I go at least weekly. The local gun store has a 2 lane indoor range (25 yards) & meand the owner are pretty friendly, so the only rule he gives me is, "just don't shoot yourself."

mzbk2l

imported post

I've only been to a range once. I've put many thousands of rounds into desert embankments, though. :)

Lately I've been working a lot more on drawing and firing. I'll "hide" my target a few steps out of sight, then walk back towards it. As soon as it comes into view, I'll draw and fire once, then reholster, examine my shot placement, and go walk out of sight to repeat the process.

(This is in a wash in the desert with only one way in and out, so there is no chance of someone getting into my shooting area without me being aware of it.)

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
imported post

Great post. I have an indoor range about 15 mins from the house and I try to go out there every sunday morning, but I make it out atleast every other week.

P.S. just saw you sent me a P.M. ODA. sorry about the long response. kind of new to the forum thing still so haven't looked at those message things up top. LOL

ODA 226

imported post

I've decided to keep this thread going indefinately. I really hope that someone else posts pics of their trips to the range....

This is my last trip this weekend. Shot a little low at 75' but my firing cadence was a little faster than normal. (And NO I wasn't trying to make a smiley face!...my youngest daughter asked me that! :lol:)

I'll be overseas for 3 weeks, but will try to log-on here every chance I get.

Craig

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
I would bet my next paycheck that less than 10% of the membership of this board have EVER fired a weapon, be it rifle, pistol or shotgun, with their weak hand.

Sir, I practice this and I guess I'm able to do it well because I keep both eyes open when aiming. Incredibly, sometimes I shoot more accurately with my weak hand.

Q: If you shoot better with your weak hand, is your weak hand your strong hand, and if so, what is your strong hand?

Q: Do I need two OC holsters now?

:question: :lol:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
I would bet my next paycheck that less than 10% of the membership of this board have EVER fired a weapon, be it rifle, pistol or shotgun, with their weak hand.

Sir, I practice this and I guess I'm able to do it well because I keep both eyes open when aiming. Incredibly, sometimes I shoot more accurately with my weak hand.

Q: If you shoot better with your weak hand, is your weak hand your strong hand, and if so, what is your strong hand?

Firing weak hand is one thing, the even bigger challenge involves weak hand reloads, malfunction clearing, etc. Fortunately the combat league I belong to requires us to do these things, plus shooting in the dark, under barriers, while moving, multiple targets, on and on.

imperialism2024

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:

Dual wield, baby!

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Firing weak hand is one thing, the even bigger challenge involves weak hand reloads, malfunction clearing, etc.
I hear ya. Fortunately for me I'm a southpaw shooting mainstream simply because it's easier to get along and I guess I'm used to adapting. When switching to weak it is as the equipment is originally designed.

Michigander

imported post

My work schedule combined with where I live hasn't allowed me to practice nearly as much as I would like to. I do practice drawing and dry firing at a bad guy target on my wall at least once a week, and I make it out to the range 1-2 times per month. Every 3 weeks sounds about right. When I do make it out to the range, I like to set up PVC framed bad guy targets from 5 feet to about 15 yards, and practice drawing and firing. With my long guns, I like to do about 5 feet to 50 yards for combatish shooting.

I've always felt it very important to practice regularly with any gun I have to bet my life on in a pinch. Dry firing isn't a replacement for range time, but it does practice some of the same elements, so it beats not practicing.

Huck

imported post

Sweet shooting Oda! Nice pistol too. But why are you doing head shots? In the Mech Infantry we were trained to shoot center of mass which is a much larger target area than the head. My dad, who was a Paratrooper in WWII and a cop on LAPD for a few years,taught my brothers and I to do the same.

Snow permitting I go out to a place in theboondocks on public land and shoot about once a week.There aint no indoor ranges around here so that kinda limits me on practicing in the winter.