• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to react in a mass shooting

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=3093716

On this anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings, local colleges and universities are getting ready to use a video to teach students how to react if a mass shooting ever happened here. The video is called "Shots Fired." Brigham Young University Police Lt. Arnold Lemmon says every BYU student, faculty and staff member will receive an e-mail this week encouraging them to watch the film. "[It] teaches them how to respond in an active gunman situation," he explained. He says the video teaches three outs: "Get out, hide out, or take out, which means defend yourself," he said. Utah State University and Westminster College also are among the 200 colleges and businesses that will use the film as a teaching tool.
At least they encourage people to fight back rather than sit in a corner waiting to die. But the whole idea that people need to be taught this is kinda weird... They just need to be allowed to bring the tools necessary to fight back.

Flintlock

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
"[It] teaches them how to respond in an active gunman situation," he explained. He says the video teaches three outs: "Get out, hide out, or take out, which means defend yourself," he said.
I wonder what he means by "take out"... Stab the attackerwith #2pencils? The students need to be able to choose whether or not to be armed. Those choices shouldn't be made for them.

expvideo

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:
"[It] teaches them how to respond in an active gunman situation," he explained. He says the video teaches three outs: "Get out, hide out, or take out, which means defend yourself," he said.
I wonder what he means by "take out"... Stab the attackerwith #2pencils? The students need to be able to choose whether or not to be armed. Those choices shouldn't be made for them.
+1

unreconstructed1

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
At least they encourage people to fight back rather than sit in a corner waiting to die. But the whole idea that people need to be taught this is kinda weird... They just need to be allowed to bring the tools necessary to fight back.

fight back ? Someone should inform the administrators of tehse schools that when they said "Never bring a knife to a gunfight" they weren't talking about walking up to the guy, dodging his bullets matrix style and then pulling a Mortal Kombat fatality on him, they meant that you should bring a gun to the gunfight, something that the vast majority of Students aren't "allowed" to do. Instead they would encorage you to "take out" teh person unarmed man against a gun as if teh students have some sort of instinctive Seal team 6 counter terrorist unarmed combat techniques at their disposal. It's a joke, and not a very funny one at that.

Guns don't Kill people, but Gun free zones make it much easier for sociopathic lunatics to.

imperialism2024

imported post

Take note that the three universities mentioned are all in Utah... where students' right to protect themselves on campus is actually safeguarded.

But yes, the "take out" part might be complicated in any other state.

ScottyT

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Take note that the three universities mentioned are all in Utah... where students' right to protect themselves on campus is actually safeguarded.

Actually you can only carry at one of the three schools mentioned. BYU (My alma matter) and Westminster are both private and both ban guns. :banghead:

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:

Unfortunately BYU is a private school, and therefore doesn't fall under the state preemption like the U of U does.

http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/68348

The BYU Handbook states, “Brigham Young University prohibits the possession or use of firearms and weapons on property owned or controlled by the university, including residence halls.”

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ScottyT wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

Actually you can only carry at one of the three schools mentioned. BYU (My alma matter) and Westminster are both private and both ban guns. :banghead:
I guess I was a couple minutes too slow. Sorry