• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock Loaded Question

bradco

imported post

Is there any risk in always having a loaded G27 in a Desantis side holster, like accidental discharge when sitting or daily functions, I was told that even if dropped it would not discharge but figured I would get more opinions from Owners, so has anyone experienced accidental or otherwise and what caused it.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Glock will not discharge unless your finger or another object is inserted into the trigger guard and has enough power to pull back the 5.5lb trigger.

I carry my Glock 21 with 13 in the Mag and 1 in the chamber every day.

bbvk05

imported post

Loaded with one in the chamber is the only way to go. Get a good, reliable holster that people trust and do NOT take it out of it unless you need to really badly, and keep your finger off the trigger if you do. You will have no problems if you dont eff up.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I had my reservations about condition 0 carry with a Glock. I couldn't get used to it when I started to CC at the tender age of 21. I switched out to a double action firearm with a safety until I got used to the 1ITP concept. Now I only carry 1911's in condition 1. It's all about getting used to the concept and training with your tool.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you are worried I highly recommend getting a box of snap-caps. They're fake rounds that you can experiment with.

It greately helped me experiment with how to clear jams, and be able to visually see how everything works, and allowed me to safely see what it actually takes to pull the trigger.

I still stand by my statement that the only way that gun is going off is if the trigger is pulled. Having said that, accidently pulling the trigger is not hard. Be very careful while handling the gun. If your finger rests along the slide and slips down to just inside the trigger and you grab something with your weak hand, your other hand may inadvertantly tighten squeezing the trigger. Also if you do drop the gun, DO NOT try to catch it. It will not go off from hitting the ground, but it may if your finger ends up in the trigger guard while trying to catch it.

bradco

imported post

Thanks guys, i will continue to be aware and practice with it, I do not touch it when it is holstered and only grab the holster to take it off my belt when putting it away.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

bradco wrote:
Is there any risk in always having a loaded G27 in a Desantis side holster, like accidental discharge when sitting or daily functions, I was told that even if dropped it would not discharge but figured I would get more opinions from Owners, so has anyone experienced accidental or otherwise and what caused it.
I consider all four of my Glocks part of my carry gun battery. Mostly, I carry my G27, however today I carried my G19. I do alternate from time to time. I also use a DeSantis holster.. the Mini Slide. It is fine for my needs and fits all of my Glocks.

You should carry your Glock with a round in the chamber and the gun in battery ready to fire. That's how it was intended to be carried. Just keep your finger away from the trigger until you are ready to fire the weapon. Most ND's with Glocks occur when people draw the gun and put their finger on the trigger prematurely. Handled properly, the gun is safe and ready to go.

Agent6-3/8

imported post

Fear not, be it a cocked and locked 1911, a Glock, Sig, XD, etc, etc it will not fire unless you pull the trigger. A proper holster like your Desantis, will protect the trigger and securely hold the gun.

mark5019

imported post

i carry my ruger p95 loaded 1 in chamber 15 in mag.
as others have said no finger pull no go boom;)

dlnwoody

imported post

It has a device that prevents it from fireing. If you are still worried I just fond in a gun mag (can't remember witch one) they make a new glock trigger with a manual safety attached.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Although some Glocks are known for firing when dropped

I've dropped my 19's no telling how many times & they've never gone off. I have like-wise witnessed folks dropping various other models of Glocks neumerous times while standing on the line in same training class as me & none of them went off.
You should carry your Glock with a round in the chamber and the gun in battery ready to fire. That's how it was intended to be carried. Just keep your finger away from the trigger until you are ready to fire the weapon. Most ND's with Glocks occur when people draw the gun and put their finger on the trigger prematurely. Handled properly, the gun is safe and ready to go.
+1 SouthernBoy

artedna

imported post

Search on the internet for cocked and locked and read any and all articles you find.If that is the way you want to carry maybe you need to look at a 1911 style or a sig. I carry a sp2022 sig like that all the time and have no wory about shooting myself or someone else.

Flintlock

imported post

bradco wrote:
The Glock Pistol has three safeties and is overall, a safe pistol to handle and carry.I wouldn't worry about any accidental discharges if you drop it, either. Thousands of people carry Glocks every day and don't have any problems at all, and for good reason. Practice the rules of gun saftey and you should be fine.