View Poll Results: How important is it for you to have night sights on your primary carry gun?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very important.

7 25.00%
  • Somewhat important.

12 42.86%
  • Spray and pray, baby.

5 17.86%
  • I wear night vision goggles so I don't need them.

4 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Important are Night Sights to You?

Post imported post

Just curious as I'm going to be buying a 1911 soon but don't have quite enough money to get it with night sights. I figure it'd be better to buy the gun now so that I have something and get the night sights later.

Post imported post

I have a Sig GSR w/novaks, and just sitting in the den dry-firing, or at a dimly lit rangethey are nifty.

As for a real life defensive situation, I think most of us would fall into the spray-and-pray mode. If you're in a situation where you would actually USE the night sights, you probably don't need to shoot to begin with. (defensive vs offensive shoot)

The only counter to that would be maybe a shot across a room at an intruder, but that's on the far side of probability, and you probably wouldn't NEED or be concentrating on the night sights all that much even then.

Frankly, I think they're cool but not a necessity.

Post imported post

OBXMIKE wrote:
    Frankly, I think they're cool but not a necessity.
    That's pretty much been my assessment. I'd like to get some, but I have better things to spend money on at the moment.

Post imported post

I plan to eventually get night sights as well, but haven't yet. Taking a low light defensive hand gun class I found out that they are of limited use. Yes an improvement over regular sights, but not an end all solution either. If I am in such dark conditions, the likelihood is that things are going to be up close and fast moving and point shooting is going to be more the reality.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I don't want anything that draws attention to my firearm in the dark other than a muzzle flash. I don't want any lights, lasers, glow in the dark green flourescent night sights, especially if I'm stalking the intruder in the dark during a break in. If you're awoken from a deep sleep by an intruder in your bedroom shoot until the threat is neutralized (leave spare rounds in the mag in case there's more than one intruder). I don't agree with the spray and prey notion because when caught off-guard that's anyonesinitial reaction. Don't spray, have a plan of attack for if and when this may happen. For instance: I would shoot through my locked bedroom door, if they enter through my lockedmaster bath I'd shoot at them, through my bathroom wall(townhouse wallboard), and then through my bedroom door following their fleeing path. Hopefully I have the chance to execute this procedure. Have a plan of attack, and practice it in your mind and with your spouse.

Post imported post

I used to think that they were of limited use, but now they are REQUIRED for every weapon I carry. They do give you an advantage in low-light conditions, however slight it may be.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

An absolute must for a fighting handgun IMHO. They do increase accuracy and reaction time for me. Also useful for finding a gun in darkness.

Post imported post

ODA 226, Longwatch, do you guys wear glasses or contacts? Not trying to be funny just want to know. I have exceptional vision in the light and dark. Just curious, this question might not even matter in your mind, but it does to me. For yearsI relied upon an antique(1949 Tokarev) for home defense and couldn't and wouldn't worry about night sights. My wife on the other hand(blind as a bat) watch out.

Post imported post

Offensive use such as a suppressed H&K USP Tactical - they may help for short to medium range shots where you have a moment to compose your sight picture.

Defensive use such as a carry weapon - if you train to look at and align sights you are not training correctly. Let the force guide you...

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Placementvs.Calibur wrote:
    ODA 226, Longwatch, do you guys wear glasses or contacts? Not trying to be funny just want to know. I have exceptional vision in the light and dark. Just curious, this question might not even matter in your mind, but it does to me. For yearsI relied upon an antique(1949 Tokarev) for home defense and couldn't and wouldn't worry about night sights. My wife on the other hand(blind as a bat) watch out.
    20/20 vision and I see better at night than most people, colorblindness sometimes means better night vision. That said more light is better than less.

Post imported post

Night Sights are over rated in self defense.

At night you must be able to identify your target and see the threat.

IMO you are going to be close enough just point and shoot without the need to line up the sights.

If it is night time and you are so far away that you MUST use sights to make an accurate shot perhaps you should use the cover ofdarkness and distance to get away from the danger.

Post imported post

If this is a serious question then consider serious possible answers to your poll. Spray and Pray and Nigh vision goggles are not. Looks like you already had your mind made up....
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    If this is a serious question then consider serious possible answers to your poll. Spray and Pray and Nigh vision goggles are not. Looks like you already had your mind made up....
    Just trying to add a little humor. It's healthy to laugh.
    Try it!

I'm mostly thinking of those black sheep situations that I don't normally find myself in but would render night sights advantageous. Times of disaster, when the lights go out, is one thing that comes to mind. Otherwise populated areas usually have fairly decent lighting at night and if I'm in my house I know where the flash lights and light switches are.

Post imported post

night vision goggles FTW! :P

I don't have night sights on any of my guns, mainly because none of the guns I've bought had them. And I didn't feel like spending much $$$ on a gun I got used for a good price anyhow. Plus I'm acustomed to 3 white dot sights since that's what I shoot the most.

Post imported post

20/15 correctable to 20/10vision here. Tritium sights allow for much faster sight alignment under low-light conditions and in no way obstructs your ability to ID and engage your target. It does give you an advantage over a target that has only conventional black sights in low-light conditions.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!

Post imported post

Renegade wrote:
    Offensive use such as a suppressed H&K USP Tactical - they may help for short to medium range shots where you have a moment to compose your sight picture.

Defensive use such as a carry weapon - if you train to look at and align sights you are not training correctly. Let the force guide you...
    Why would a supressed USP Tactical be considered "offensive"? What is your definition of a carry weapon? Not trying to badger you, just curious why you made the distinction between the two as I see absolutely no difference...

As for night sights, it is a personal preference just like anything else. For me, it helps my shooting accuracy and I live in a state that has veryshort daysduring the winter.

Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

isaiah wrote:
    VAopencarry wrote:
    Try it!

.. Snipped
    So true.. A fewhere are too uptight and need to loosen up a little.

RELAX PEOPLE!!! Have fun!

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    isaiah wrote:
    VAopencarry wrote:
    Try it!

.. Snipped
    So true.. A fewhere are too uptight and need to loosen up a little.

RELAX PEOPLE!!! Have fun!
    Doesn't everyone here have night vision goggles?????
    Bitka Sve Rešava!

Post imported post

NVG ftw.

Better than headlights, anyway.

Seriously, though. I like night sights, but I doubt I'll go out and buy them. They're very nice if they come on the gun, but I could take them or leave them.

Post imported post

I almost had a night vision scope once...
    That was before I decided sitting still in sub-zero temperatures at night wasn't worth the coyote pelt I was after.

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    Doesn't everyone here have night vision goggles?????
    No, but I sometimes get beer goggle vision, is that similar?

Post imported post

Flintlock wrote:
    Renegade wrote:

Why would a supressed USP Tactical be considered "offensive"? What is your definition of a carry weapon? Not trying to badger you, just curious why you made the distinction between the two as I see absolutely no difference...

As for night sights, it is a personal preference just like anything else. For me, it helps my shooting accuracy and I live in a state that has veryshort daysduring the winter.
    No harm - most pistols are carried for defensive purposes. Someone suprises you, draw your pistol and defend.

The H&K USP Tactical was built for tracking down targets and shooting them. The adjustable target sights sit high so as to still be useful when looking over a suppressor. The barrel is threaded to accept a suppressor and and uses an o-ring support to enhance accuracy. The match grade trigger allows for ideal shots.

All-in-all it is one hell of a nice piece. If you are ever in the area I would be glad to let you bang a few rounds through it!

Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

Renegade wrote:
    Flintlock wrote:
    Renegade wrote:

No harm - most pistols are carried for defensive purposes. Someone suprises you, draw your pistol and defend.

The H&K USP Tactical was built for tracking down targets and shooting them. The adjustable target sights sit high so as to still be useful when looking over a suppressor. The barrel is threaded to accept a suppressor and and uses an o-ring support to enhance accuracy. The match grade trigger allows for ideal shots.

All-in-all it is one hell of a nice piece. If you are ever in the area I would be glad to let you bang a few rounds through it!
    Thanks for the offer but I have actually owned one for almost a decade. That's why I asked the question, I was curious to see what youmeant by that.

It is a nice piece but I am not so sure I would consider it something that I would use to track and shoot down targets... Maybe in close quarter combat... Maybe... In a SHTF situation, it will be with meon my side or my leg, but I would think that a rifle or shotgun would be in my hands instead.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

I've kind of got a thing for lasers. I had one on my shotgun until it kind of fell off after a day of too much trap shooting, and haven't gotten around to re-attaching it. I liked that it allows me a lot of latitude in how I hold the gun (i.e. hip fire compatible), and doesn't give away my position (we keep airborne dust to a minimum), while providing minimal illumination beyond my natural night vision.

Post imported post

Because Trigicon wear out, fiber optic is popular. Fiber are fairly hard to break, and they always seem to be the right amount of bright.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast