• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Important are Night Sights to You?

How important is it for you to have night sights on your primary carry gun?

• Very important.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat important.

• Spray and pray, baby.

• I wear night vision goggles so I don't need them.

• Total voters

Renegade

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Renegade wrote:
Offensive use such as a suppressed H&K USP Tactical - they may help for short to medium range shots where you have a moment to compose your sight picture.

Defensive use such as a carry weapon - if you train to look at and align sights you are not training correctly. Let the force guide you... :cool:
Why would a supressed USP Tactical be considered "offensive"? What is your definition of a carry weapon? Not trying to badger you, just curious why you made the distinction between the two as I see absolutely no difference...

As for night sights, it is a personal preference just like anything else. For me, it helps my shooting accuracy and I live in a state that has veryshort daysduring the winter.
No harm - most pistols are carried for defensive purposes. Someone suprises you, draw your pistol and defend.

The H&K USP Tactical was built for tracking down targets and shooting them. The adjustable target sights sit high so as to still be useful when looking over a suppressor. The barrel is threaded to accept a suppressor and and uses an o-ring support to enhance accuracy. The match grade trigger allows for ideal shots.

All-in-all it is one hell of a nice piece. If you are ever in the area I would be glad to let you bang a few rounds through it!

Attachments

• hk_usptactical.jpg
    hk_usptactical.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 129

Flintlock

imported post

Renegade wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
Renegade wrote:
Offensive use such as a suppressed H&K USP Tactical - they may help for short to medium range shots where you have a moment to compose your sight picture.

Defensive use such as a carry weapon - if you train to look at and align sights you are not training correctly. Let the force guide you... :cool:
Why would a supressed USP Tactical be considered "offensive"? What is your definition of a carry weapon? Not trying to badger you, just curious why you made the distinction between the two as I see absolutely no difference...

As for night sights, it is a personal preference just like anything else. For me, it helps my shooting accuracy and I live in a state that has veryshort daysduring the winter.
No harm - most pistols are carried for defensive purposes. Someone suprises you, draw your pistol and defend.

The H&K USP Tactical was built for tracking down targets and shooting them. The adjustable target sights sit high so as to still be useful when looking over a suppressor. The barrel is threaded to accept a suppressor and and uses an o-ring support to enhance accuracy. The match grade trigger allows for ideal shots.

All-in-all it is one hell of a nice piece. If you are ever in the area I would be glad to let you bang a few rounds through it!

Thanks for the offer but I have actually owned one for almost a decade. :cool:That's why I asked the question, I was curious to see what youmeant by that.

It is a nice piece but I am not so sure I would consider it something that I would use to track and shoot down targets... ;)Maybe in close quarter combat... Maybe... In a SHTF situation, it will be with meon my side or my leg, but I would think that a rifle or shotgun would be in my hands instead.

imperialism2024

imported post

I've kind of got a thing for lasers. I had one on my shotgun until it kind of fell off after a day of too much trap shooting, and haven't gotten around to re-attaching it. I liked that it allows me a lot of latitude in how I hold the gun (i.e. hip fire compatible), and doesn't give away my position (we keep airborne dust to a minimum), while providing minimal illumination beyond my natural night vision.

Pointman

imported post

Because Trigicon wear out, fiber optic is popular. Fiber are fairly hard to break, and they always seem to be the right amount of bright.

LEO 229

imported post

I have an internal laser on my 228 I keep in the bedroom.

Thing is nice!! Matter-of-fact.. I need to shoot it one day at the range. :D

But I do not want to rely on a laser to help me shoot. If it fails I will have to still have iron sight skills.

It is a nice tool for difficult or trick shots. But also a fantastic intimidator. ;)

Michigander

imported post

I have night sights on one of my pistols, and I never found them useful. When I've shot it out to about 15 yards at night, I've found I like point shooting a lot better than trying to use the sights. I'd want sights if I was going to shoot it further, but I don't know of a real world situation where I'd need or want to in the dark.

About those HK USPs, I don't get why people like them so much. They feel like over priced gussied up Glocks to me. Not that they don't work, I just don't see why people give them such high praise. To each his own as they say.

LEO 229

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I have night sights on one of my pistols, and I never found them useful. When I've shot it out to about 15 yards at night, I've found I like point shooting a lot better than trying to use the sights. I'd want sights if I was going to shoot it further, but I don't know of a real world situation where I'd need or want to in the dark.

About those HK USPs, I don't get why people like them so much. They feel like over priced gussied up Glocks to me. Not that they don't work, I just don't see why people give them such high praise. To each his own as they say.
Ya, I just punch it out and fire when that close.

You should be able to hit the target pretty easy if you can be consistent in your point of aim, point of impact.

VAopencarry

imported post

isaiah wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
If this is a serious question then consider serious possible answers to your poll. Spray and Pray and Nigh vision goggles are not. Looks like you already had your mind made up....

Just trying to add a little humor. It's healthy to laugh.
Try it!

I'm mostly thinking of those black sheep situations that I don't normally find myself in but would render night sights advantageous. Times of disaster, when the lights go out, is one thing that comes to mind. Otherwise populated areas usually have fairly decent lighting at night and if I'm in my house I know where the flash lights and light switches are.
nevermind......