• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can any "qualified" gun owner teach a class on guns?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I have been shooting since I was a teen... I then went in the USMC and qualifed rifle and pistol expert. That was 28 years ago. In those 28 years I have learned LOADS more.. about guns, ammo, life, laws, etc. So..

If I teach a "handgun safety course" to where I feel comfortable signing my name to a document stating that I have done so, I wonder if that will suffice for someone to apply for a permit.

I read the law from the VA state police page.. (Posted below) I wonder about #9. "Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.". If in my affidavit I explain my history and experience with handguns, safety and the like and certify that I have conveyed a general knowledge of handgus and safety to a named participant, I wonder if they will issue that person a permit. I guess if they do the court deemed it adequate.. and if they don't issue they didn't.

My wife might be the perfect candidate for this.. She knows how to shoot and handles a firearm well, but really does not want to go sit in a class somewhere.. she would much rather me teach her.. a close family friend feels the same way.

thoughts?

- - - - -

The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:
  1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;
  2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
  3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;
  4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
  5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
  6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
  7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;
  8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or
  9. Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.
A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I had a father/daughter approach me at a recent gun show about our classes. He wanted her to get her CHP permit.

He said that he had his but was not familar with the training requirements. He said that he never took any kind of class, firearms safety, hunter safety, military, nothing...

I asked him how he got his permit and he said that he just asked the Judge for it and the Judge gave it to him. When I said "do you know the Judge?", he said "oh yeah sure, we've been hunting together for 30 years".

In that case, the "court" knew that over a 30 year timeframe, he had handled his firearm safely during numerous hunting trips, therefore the court deemed his practical experience adequate.

Now, as an aside, I would suggest against you doing this kind of training unless you are prepared for the risk. Our company is licensed and insured against any firearms related training accidents. If someone were to have one, you could be open to a serious lawsuit. Also, I doubt that anyone would come to your class if you did not have some type of certification.

Just my .02

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Might I suggest she consider taking the class from one of our instructors here on the board?

Besides ProShooter, who's new so I don't know him, there is also pourshot (4permits@gmail.com), learn2shoot (learn2shoot@gmail.com) and VCDLPresident (president@vcdl.org will get to him; he probably has another address for this purpose).

I know these three will tailor classes to those in attendance, particularly if you have a group together for them with similar goals and desires.

Yes, you might be able to get a permit without a "certified" instructor conducting the class, but if you had to use the weapon, you'd likely have to face that as an additional point against you in a courtroom. Just something to think about - we all hope we never have to use deadly force, but ...

72Malibu

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
Ed,

You might also consider taking the NRA Instructor course and getting the piece if paper that the state recognizes as meeting the requirements of instructor. Check this out. http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/instructor.aspWith yourexperience this course should be a breeze.
Yup. I completedthe test not too long ago. The only thing that's keeping me from my certification now is that I have to get around to sending in the form and the money.

vtme_grad98

imported post

Your safest bet, as far as personal liability goes, is to just become an NRA instructor and conduct NRA First Steps classes. Then you aren't responsible for their lack of understanding of particular laws.

Technically, that's what the classeswe teach at my range are. Granted, we only allow people who have already shot into the class, because we speed through the First Steps parts and then, after making sure they know we aren't lawyers, discuss state law regarding lethal force and concealed carry. We also make sure they know how to find those laws themselves to stay up to speed on the laws themselves after they leave.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

good advice from all.. thanks.. I will secure my instructor certification. It was really more of a "i wonder if this would work?" question instead of a "here is what I am gonna do" statement.

Ed