• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AR Build?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Anybody in NOVA know anything about building ARs from parts. Moreso have tools available?

longwatch

imported post

Probably will be putting a collapsable one on, was lookin for roll pin punches and I keep reading a special tool is useful for the take down pins.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Probably will be putting a collapsable one on, was lookin for roll pin punches and I keep reading a special tool is useful for the take down pins.

Though I've never used one, I imagine a special tool would be useful for installing the front take-down pin over the detent & spring. I use the flat of a knife blade to push the detent & spring in, and thenslide the take-down pin over the area where the blade is, pushing it out of the way and capturing the detent & spring.

Incidentally, I'm just wrapping up a new build.Monday night I spent about 4 hours installing and adjusting a Geissele Hi-Speed DMR trigger... 4 solid pages of very fine print instructions! http://www.geissele.com/detail.aspx?ID=4

eyesopened

imported post

Here is an awesome video, even though the guy screws the installation of the bolt catch: http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag/Video/LLE_AR15StrippedLower.wmv

These instructions are nicer since they have actual pics: ttp://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

My friend and I just recently built our lowers together using the two sources above. I upgraded to the RRA 2-stage trigger and it's straight butter smooth. I imagine it's not as nice as that Gissele, but it's also MUCH cheaper. I'm currently waiting for my assembled upper from CMMG.

You don't "need" roll pin punches, regular punches will do, but roll pin punches are better IMO. What brand lower, LPK and stockdid you go with?

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't use roll pin punches, I use a pair of vice grips with duct tape around the jaws to insert the pins. I've had pretty good success with those.

hsmith

imported post

Taking the plunge I see!

I just got my upper in Tuesday night and put it on my lower.

n6233680_37422578_3455.jpg

I'll be done with the tools for a bit once I get the barrel on it which I am ordering today as a birthday present to myself :)

I have the punch set, armors wrench, and a "claw" block to hold the upper in place while securing the barrel.

eyesopened

imported post

Happy B-day hsmith! That looks like it's going to be quite a fine firearm once you're done with it. Looking at the stock, I'm assuming you're going for a long range tack driver?

hsmith

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Happy B-day hsmith! That looks like it's going to be quite a fine firearm once you're done with it. Looking at the stock, I'm assuming you're going for a long range tack driver?
haha thanks

yeah, i am going to get a 18'' barrel. i ordered iron sights last night. i want to shoot with those for awhile before I get some optics. I plan to put a can on it too :D

Such a fun project. I haven't built anything in such a long time.

And I know I have an awesome g/f when she sees it and says "that is f'ing awesome"

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Built a bunch of them and my son finished his first, day before yesterday.

You can get by with no special tools except ones you make even if you puut a collapsible stock.

There is a secret tool for putting the detentes in. A clevis pin! (ror just a rod with a hole drilled in the side;))

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Is there a reason this is in the Virginia section and not in General Discussion?

Why the hell not? If we can sell them to LEO's and CWP's only. why not build them?

Renegade

imported post

I would be happy to answer any questions you have. Last year I completed a fine AR optimized for 200-600 yard shooting. Much time was spent researching parts, combination of parts, etc. Assembly is pretty much snap together - some guys really focus on the relationship between the barrel/bolt, upper receiver, and handguard.

Tools are cheap considering how much easier they make things but are really not necessary. Here is a shot of my tool...

Attachments

• 01 JUL 07 021.jpg
    01 JUL 07 021.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 155

longwatch

imported post

Well I got inspired by Buy a Gun Day this week and an article I read in SWAT magazine about building ARs as an inexpensive hedge against future gun control. Do it for the children, as they were saying.

hsmith

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Well I got inspired by Buy a Gun Day this week and an article I read in SWAT magazine about building ARs as an inexpensive hedge against future gun control. Do it for the children, as they were saying.
Be a good dad and make sure you buy one for your future child as well :D