• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pic of my 91/30 mosin nagant

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Not a bad rifle for $89. Definately for "reaching out and touching someone" :D

I did a bad thing though... I popped off some corrosive primers in it to deactivate some primed brass that had minor flaws (gotta love combloc ammo) and forgot to clean the bore after doing it... a week later I looked at a rusty bore. Fortunately the rifle forgave me and cleaned up all nice and shiny inside. If I didn't know better, I would swear the bore is chromed!

I pulled some bullets, dumped powder, and popped the primer to make some novelty keychains for friends... hence all the primer popping.

I shouldn't have mounted that bayonet though, I can only get the stupid things off with a wrench...

2420651436_9beb146fde.jpg

just_a_car

imported post

Steve, you should have talked to me first. I'm very well-versed with the 91/30 and all her excentricities, including the "stiff" bayonet. They weren't supposed to be removed unless the soldier was riding in a vehicle; e.g. why I've never put mine on all the way.

Also, go over to Gun&Game.com Mosin Nagant Forum and read... and read... and read. There's so much information on that forum that you could become a veritable expert just from sitting at your computer. Feel free to join up, too... there's a reason it's held it's moniker of "The Friendliest Gun Forum On The Internet" and has been #1 on GunnyApproved.com since about October, 2006!

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Oh I'm familiar with the problems of the bayonet, I was showing off the rifle... I've put the dang thing on several times now. Easy on, hard off. :)

I'm been owning and shooting these ugly rifles for about 8 years now. The 91/30 was my second rifle. Back when you could go to big 5 and get them for $40...

EDIT:
BTW, have you seen the ammo Randy has at Lynnwood Gun? Hungarian Yellowtip IIRC. I've got about 40 rounds on the boat. I buy 20 or 30 rounds everytime I get up that way.

just_a_car

imported post

I just picked up a 250rd case of yellow-tip packaged on steel stripper clips. It was a little too expensive, but it was spur of the moment on the way out to the mountains. I payed around $75 for it. I think it's Bulgy, but I'm not 100% sure... I haven't opened the case yet, so I don't know what the headstamp is.

Euromutt

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
If I didn't know better, I would swear the bore is chromed!
It should be. To the best of my understanding, chromed bores were standard on Sov-manufactured Mosin-Nagants, even those produced during the "Great Patriotic War." Probably precisely because of those corrosive primers.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

just_a_car wrote:
I just picked up a 250rd case of yellow-tip packaged on steel stripper clips. It was a little too expensive, but it was spur of the moment on the way out to the mountains. I payed around $75 for it. I think it's Bulgy, but I'm not 100% sure... I haven't opened the case yet, so I don't know what the headstamp is.
Where did you find some on steel clips? I thought that stuff was long gone. And do you want to sell a dozen or so? :D

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Euromutt wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
If I didn't know better, I would swear the bore is chromed!
It should be. To the best of my understanding, chromed bores were standard on Sov-manufactured Mosin-Nagants, even those produced during the "Great Patriotic War." Probably precisely because of those corrosive primers.
I've heard it both ways, but this thing has got to be chromed. Nothing else cleans up THAT shiny after use, especially corrosive primers.

just_a_car

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
Where did you find some on steel clips? I thought that stuff was long gone. And do you want to sell a dozen or so? :D
Are you asking about the stripper clips, the ammo or both? It's yellow-tip heavy ball by the way.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

just_a_car wrote:
BobCav wrote:
Sweet! Where did you get it? I have my C&R and I want one!
Check out http://www.classicarms.us or even http://www.centuryarms.com/

Classic has them "hard-chromed" for that extra-spiffy look on those sunny Reno days! :cool:

Century never received my C&R...grrrr. I have to send in a Change of Address to AFT anyway for my Spokane address. Might as well wait...

:cuss:

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Are you asking about the stripper clips, the ammo or both? It's yellow-tip heavy ball by the way.
Sorry, stripper clips. I have ammo, and can get more, or make some when I get off my butt and buy some dies and brass. Although if you want to sell some ammo I wouldn't say no to that either... mainly would like to buy some clips though.