• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you guys think this would be appropriate attire?

nemo

imported post

Legba wrote:
About half my "arsenal" is "foreign junk." I guess that means I'm half the man I used to be...
Well, if you include EVERYthing, then I have a lot of foreign junk, too, most of it much older than me and some of it much older than my dad would be. But, for carry weapons, I have only colts. I have shot the glock, but cannot get used to it. If they made it as good in the hand as the 1911, and with a good trigger, then I would try again.

buketdude

imported post

Its good....I have open-carried with kinda baggy jeans, a hoodie, hat backwards...and i have long hair and look kinda young....i think 96% of people could care less...

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

mazellan819 wrote:
nemo wrote:
mazellan819 wrote:
What's that supose to mean? :p

I am not surprised that you don't know. It is a strange, foreign object that does not fit the hand very well and has a LOUSY trigger. Real men, and especially real Americans,carry and shoot a 1911, of course.

From the sound of it, youare a real man. At least, you don't shoot any foreign junk!

If your statements were true, how come police departments don't carry 1911's? :uhoh:
Hmmmm I wonder why! :p
Eh, the 1911 is the greatest handgun ever created, however, it's a lot of maintenance to either A: make it run right or B: fix itwhen (if)something breaks. Plus, I don't think the 1911 has wnough mag capacity for an LEO. LEO's know they might have to use their weapon everyday, possibly against multiple BG's. The everyday OC/CCer should only need 9 shots in any given situation one might encounter, otherwise, carry a spare mag.

ATCer

imported post

I've always thought it would be interesting to dress less than stellar and OC. Go around town about your business.

The following day/week, dress conservitive or how you normally would, OC to the same places as before,and see the reactions you get. Obviously the variable would be that the same people wouldn't be there as before, but it would still be interesting none the less.

I'm just curious to see what the difference would be.A bit of an experiment if you will.

jrtayloriv

imported post

I am far less concerned about appearances than most people. I wear the same pants/shirt for a week at a time, and don't gel or comb my hair. I'm not wearing a mohawk, dreadlocks, or cornrows and I don't have chains, spikes, and tatoos all over myself (and even if I did, it shouldn't matter) -- but I'm definitely not a model of "cleanliness" and socially acceptable dress / grooming. Gasp in disgust, and moan in despair if you want, but it's my personal choice, and I'm satisfied with it.

My question is Does my decision not to dress up and look pretty make my life less valuable? Should I have to change my personal habits in order to be able to defend myself without being harassed and intimidated by LEOs?

My answer is no. I recently made the decision to start open carrying, while I await my concealed pistol license -- and there is no way that I'm going to start getting all primped up, so some lawbreaking cop doesn't harass me -- that's not the way it's supposed to work.

I understand that this will cause some friction at first, and I'm willing to give them a few chances. But after I've been hassled a few times, written letters to Internal Affairs, and talked to the offending officers' superiors a few times -- I'm going to have to give up on asking nicely, and just file a lawsuit for harassment. Then they will probably start obeying the laws they claim to enforce.

I am going to carry a weapon to defend myself, and I am going to dress how I like. I don't feel that anyone has the right to bother me for either one.

Huck

imported post

nemo wrote: I am not surprised that you don't know. It is a strange, foreign object that does not fit the hand very well and has a LOUSY trigger. Real men, and especially real Americans,carry and shoot a 1911, of course.

That's about what one can expect from a back east pilgrim! Real western Americans pack a six-gun. ;)Ruger Super RedhawkAlaskan, .454 Casull. :cool:

I have nothing against the m1911 series. Excellent autos, none better. However, I personally prefer revolvers.

zetor

imported post

I prefer a white shirt over black. Black screams "rebel"

This shirt looks nice:

Attachments

• t shirt.jpg
    t shirt.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 287

Montanya

imported post

Only issue with this is that if your phone rings and some nervous cop (or uneducated gun carrier) is giving you the evil eye and you reach down for the phone no one knows you are not reaching foryour handgun. In the end, do what you want, but i think the advice to move the phone is on point.

Ruiner wrote:
nemo wrote:
FightingGlock19 wrote:
move your cell phone to your weak-side
Good point. Could also carryspray, spare mag, knife, flashlight, and multi-tool. Where's my bat-belt?

F That....

Unfortunately I feel uncomfortable with the cellphone on the other side. It's been on my right side for years now. It does not get in the way at all, so I don't mind it over there.

denthack

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
Pointman wrote:
Snip- Daytwo I tried to answer my gun...
ROFL!!! I hope this wasn't in the middle of Wal-Mart or something similar!
LMAO!!!!

At least you didn't hold someone at "phone point" and blow your ear off when you pistol'd a call to 911

(yeah... it was a stretch....it's late...)

polarbz

imported post

Sa45auto wrote:
Ruiner wrote:
I normally sport a collared button up shirt, but with the warmer weather, looking to stay a bit cooler.

Think this would be appropriate?

opencarry.jpg
I'm not a fashion Nanny, but won't walking around with a camera in front of your eyes inhibit your ability to see? :what:
Going for the "tourist" look!

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nemo wrote:
mazellan819 wrote:
What's that supose to mean? :p

I am not surprised that you don't know. It is a strange, foreign object that does not fit the hand very well and has a LOUSY trigger. Real men, and especially real Americans,carry and shoot a 1911, of course.

From the sound of it, youare a real man. At least, you don't shoot any foreign junk!
What about a foreign 1911, everybody makes one now.

Personally, I like the fact that I was able to change the connector bar in my Glock for a 3.5lb and make the trigger pull nicer in less time than most people can field strip and reassemble a 1911.

Eventually I want a 1911 too. You can never have too many guns.

Pointman

imported post

Montanya wrote:
Only issue with this is that if your phone rings and some nervous cop (or uneducated gun carrier) is giving you the evil eye and you reach down for the phone no one knows you are not reaching foryour handgun. In the end, do what you want, but i think the advice to move the phone is on point.
If the phone and gun are on your right, reach for the phone with your left hand.

Whenever I'm in public and have to adjust my holster I discretely use my left hand without looking, as to not draw attention, and I cover the holster, not touch the gun. It's a completely different motion, and people don't get freaked out.

imported post

No offense, but where are your extra mags? Do you or any other "OC'ers" like to leave home without a minimum of 2 extra mags on your belt? What gives cowboy? OC is 'cool' but seriously, how you gonna clear that type 3 malf without a spare mag?:what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what:

imported post

Oh, and as we say here in "Idaho" the only thing that rides in a holster is a firearm, cell phones.....nada esa!

Try putting a spare magazine in place of that ringing thing. The only items that should be on your belt are items to be used for defense.

In all reality the chance of you reaching for that cell phone and mistaking it for a spare mag is great, especially under extreme stress/duress. Don't worry cowboy, if you start shootin hey'll be either plenty of people calling 911 for you, or if nobody is around and you actually live, there will be plenty of time for you to fish around you "other" pockets to make that call. But, shoving a cell phone in your mag well is a deadly mistake esa.

Good luck and hope this hillbilly from Idaho gave you some good advice.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
move your cell phone to your weak-side

Ruiner,

I second that emotion, even though you said youarecomfortable with where your cell phoneis currently.

Innocently reaching for yourringing cell phone (on the same side as your gun) is not away to put the public or LE at ease with the unusual act ofOC.

IMHO,that act, though innocent,is a lot more "provocative" than is the simple act of OCing.

Please think about changing your phone's position, at least while you're OCing.

Ruiner

imported post

I'll think about moving it, but doubt I will. I see what you guys are saying, but a RINGING phone tends to suggest I'll be picking the phone up, and not the gun.

The phone now sits sideways, and I do not have to reach close to the gun by any means... I hate to go as far to post a video to prove it, but it's not provacative in any way when you see it in person or see me go for the phone...

Now my wallet being on the left side is a little bit different, but I can't help that. I'm left handed...