• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you guys think this would be appropriate attire?

grimstar

imported post

OH...the horror...no...absolutely not...

...those pants are much too tight. Trust me, I'm a tailor.

However, I do admire the way you have artfully used the holstered firearm to blend the transition from shirt to trousers, breaking up the usually unflattering horizonal line presented by a belt.

May I suggest that spare magazines carried on the other side would present a pleasing symmetry, and add further slimming vertical lines to the ensemble.

Hey...if you ask me for fashion advice, you're going to get it! :p

And now everyone has another reason to OC...it just looks better.
(any members of the opposite sex care to back me up on that?)

On a serious note, I think it looks fine.

Grimstar

(I think I may have spent too much time in front of the sewing machine this past week....I prescribe rest, lots of fluids, and large therapeutic doses of range time.)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I carry my cell phone and pistol in a similar configuration. As my hand is typically moving front to back or from underneath to grab my cell phone, unless I were in a threatening situation, in which I wouldn't be answering my cell phone anyway, I don't think there is anyway that reaching for my phone could be construed as reaching for my sidearm except by someone who was on the verge of freaking out anyway.

unreconstructed1

imported post

as far as the phone, you could always get one of those goofy little glowing ear clip things that seem to be so popular nowadays.

as far as wardrobe goes, hopefully, I'll be getting my HCP in a couple of weeks ( FINALLY) and I see no reason to change my appearence in order to practice my constitutional rights.

when I go out, its normally with a wife beater or a sleeveless t-shirt on (usually a dixie outfitters one), blue jeans and a bandanna or cap on my head. honestly, it really doesn't matter if I were to "dress up" or not, considering the fact that I have quite a few tattoos, and that I used to have long hair seemed to get me stopped alot by LE anyhow... at least one of them was honest enough to tell me that the reason I am continually harrassed is the fact that I "looked suspect".

the thing about it is though, that's me, and I don't remember the "bill of rights dress code" in the multiple times taht I have sat down and read teh constitution. if thats how you normaly dress, then do whatever makes you feel comfortable, but for the love of god, don't feel like you have to "dress the part" in order to excersice your god given rights...

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I wouldn't think there is much chance of mistaking a cell phone for a mag unless you kept it in the same place asa mag normally is. If he doesn't have aspare mag in the first place, why would he think his cell phone was one? If his spare mag is kept in his pocket, why would he reach for the cell phone on his belt?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

grimstar wrote:
However, I do admire the way you have artfully used the holstered firearm to blend the transition from shirt to trousers, breaking up the usually unflattering horizonal line presented by a belt.

May I suggest that spare magazines carried on the other side would present a pleasing symmetry, and add further slimming vertical lines to the ensemble.

Hey...if you ask me for fashion advice, you're going to get it! :p
It would improve symmetry even more if he had two handguns. Two cell phones would be kinda weird though, so put an extra mag on the opposite side of the cell phone. (Although 47 probablywouldn't approve.)

OmSigDAVID

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
What is the best way to OC, if u r wearing a vested suit n tie ?

David
I've never done it with a suit, but I maybe a thigh holster would work?

Yeah; I guess that 's probably your best bet.

How about in cold, rainy weather with a full length coat over the suit ?

David

OmSigDAVID

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:

David
OCDO thread titled: Open Carrying with a Suit and Tie

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/11110.html

Thank u, Deepdiver.

I checked the link, but I did not find out how to OC, in thecold & rain of NYC, where I wear a full length coat over a vested suit in the winter.

David

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OmSigDAVID wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:

David
OCDO thread titled: Open Carrying with a Suit and Tie

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/11110.html

Thank u, Deepdiver.

I checked the link, but I did not find out how to OC, in thecold & rain of NYC, where I wear a full length coat over a vested suit in the winter.

David
You are certainly welcome. ;) I wasn't so much directing you there because any conclusion was reached in that thread, but rather because that topic is being discussed in that thread and that your question may be better discussed there on topic than in this thread as it is titled such as to draw attention to your specific query.

unreconstructed1

imported post

I would say that there comes a point in which OC would simply be pointless. teh only way I could possibly see OC with a ful length coat, or even with a suit would be to have a holster sewn on (or in) the coats, but any time you went to remove the coat, you would just have to relocate the weapon. I would say unholstering your piece anywhere that would call for a full suit would probably not be in your best interest. why not just find a nice black leather OWB holster to wear with your belt? only having had to wear a suit a few times in my life, I would say that would be your best bet, especially with a buttoned suitcoat on. It wouldn't be too inaccesible, and if you wanted to ( dependent upon the type of trenchcoat you wear) you could even double pocket your weapon side coat pocket. cut and stitch the seam to allow easy acces to your weapon, and stitch another pocket on inside ( preferably with a flap so that you wouldn't accidentally reach into that pocket if teh time ever came that you needed to draw.

I once had a western style duster with a shotgun holster sewn into it that had a similar setup. of course the point with that wasn't to be able to unholster the shotgun, just to allow access to the trigger guard. I would say if your pockets are large enough, unholstering wouldn't be a problem, not to mention the fact that if you were put into teh situation, you could have your weapon drawn and ready ( depending on your normal carry condition) without drawing any unnecessary attention to yourself.

Kivuli

imported post

Use a shoulder rig. When I went to my brother's wedding, I had my USP in a shoulder rig outside my vest, but underneath my long coat. Easy access, and good concealment when needed. Let the coat hang open if concealment isn't wanted.

Don't worry about the black shirt. I usually OC in black BDU pants with a black belt, a black t-shirt, and either a black flydanna or black BDU hat. Granted, my holster is black, my gun is black, and my cell phone is black, but hey. I haven't been hassled yet.