• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cleaning Lady Accidental Discharge

ScottyT

imported post

This one is brutal:

ksl.com - Man killed in accidental shooting

Cleaning crew in a foreclosed property finds rifles, guy gets a belly full of
300 win mag and dies. Very sad, completely preventable as is usually the case. Cleaning lady had probably never even held a gun before, not sure how else someone would accidentally pull the trigger on a hunting rifle...

sidestreet

imported post

Another new gun safety rule: "Always keep your feather duster off of the trigger until ready to fire."

We are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

combatcarry

imported post

This was a terrible accident.

Reading the comments on the news story, it sounds likethe cleaning crew were hard working, honest people.

My heart goes out to them.

We should all learn from this situation. I have loaded guns locked in my safe at home. What would happen if I became incapacitated, or unable to retrieve my guns? Or if my wife forgot a gun safety rule while getting something out of the safe? I've often worried that something like this could happen toa person accessing my safe. For me I'm going to start unloading my guns even if they are locked in the safe.

b1ack5mith

imported post

i found it doubtful that it was an accident... it requires you point it and pull the trigger for the gun to really SHOOT SOMEONE lol... moving a gun is probably not likely to fire... think about it, she probably aimed it at him jokingly, and pulled the trigger and BOOM!

combatcarry

imported post

Its easier than you think. Picture the gun poked tightly in between something. The barrel is poking out towards the cleaning lady and the guy that got shot. She pulls the gun by the barrel (consider that she is probably working franticly to get the place cleaned). The trigger catches onto something. BOOM.

Never forget the most important rule of gun safety.... Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to shoot.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tragic. Very.

We are overlooking something. Free rifles!! The place was vacated. Free rifles left lying around.

Of course, nobody leaves a legitimately obtained rifle behind. I wonder if these were illegally obtained, abandoned in an opportune place by someone else, oran eviction, or the leaseholder was deceased? Other ideas?

Not enough info to know for sure.

PT111

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tragic. Very.

We are overlooking something. Free rifles!! The place was vacated. Free rifles left lying around.

Of course, nobody leaves a legitimately obtained rifle behind. I wonder if these were illegally obtained, abandoned in an opportune place by someone else, oran eviction, or the leaseholder was deceased? Other ideas?

Not enough info to know for sure.
Not always. I bought an Rem 1100 shotgun from a girl that her boy-friend had left behind when she ran him off. She found it when she was moving in with her next boy-friend and I happend to be in the right place at the right time. It was used but in great shape and for $100 I couldn't turn it down. :)

Erus

imported post

I think we're overlooking something else.. last line in article:

Police are looking for the people to whom the guns are registered.

Registered Rifles??? Damn.

I have to do the blue card thing on my handguns, here in Clark County Nv.. but apart from any sales record, IF purchaced from an FFL.... rifles are NOT registered.

Hmmmmmm

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Erus wrote:
I think we're overlooking something else.. last line in article:

Police are looking for the people to whom the guns are registered.

Registered Rifles??? Damn.

I have to do the blue card thing on my handguns, here in Clark County Nv.. but apart from any sales record, IF purchaced from an FFL.... rifles are NOT registered.

Hmmmmmm

It all depends if the rifles were bought in a gun store, then they become "registered". If they were bought on the private market...NO registration. It's the same with ALL firearms.

TJ

Flintlock

imported post

Is there firearm registration in Utah? The article suggested that the police were searching for whom the firearms were registered...

If the previous poster is correct, then I would submit that the shops have to keep records of their sales, but technically, the government is not allowed to do so.

Tomahawk

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
i found it doubtful that it was an accident... it requires you point it and pull the trigger for the gun to really SHOOT SOMEONE
No it does not. You can adjust the trigger of many bolt-action rifles to be so light as to be unsafe, and bumping the butt against the floor or wall may cause it to discharge.

Without more information, we can't rule out the possibility that this guy had an over-sensitive trigger, and stored the rifle chambered and witht he safety off.

That said, if the housekeeper hadn't been pointing it at him, they would all be just complaining about ringing eardrums and nerves.

ATVjunkie

imported post

I deal with a lot of foreclosed properties on a regular basis. It never ceases to amaze me what people will knowingly and willinglyleave behind. I almost got a Porsche 944. (Long story, but I swear this is true.) My latest acquisition is a practically brand new Rigid shop vac. (Now I've got 3 of them.) Of course the other thing that never ceases to amaze me are the deplorable conditions in which people will live in on a daily basis, AND with little children crawling around in it. It would absolutely blow your mind!!

I've done my share of trash-outs. The first thing you do is to scope the place out for two things.The first is the obvious "good stuff"and the secondare the hazards... like just about every refrigerator that you come across. A good rule of thumb is to just never open one. Tape it closed and haul it off. I once found a dead cat impaled with a barbecue fork in it in a fridge. The power had been off for quite some time. That was reallypleasant.

I digress.

Generally, it's pretty easy to distinguish them (the good stuff and the hazards) from the rest of the crap.Most everything is generally crap andheaded straight for the trailer/dumpster and then to the dump. Finding a firearm generally constitutes finding good stuff. One removes that first and it goes in to the truck. Hazards get separated out too.

Anyway, the whole situationis sad. Unfortunately, is sounds to me like it probably could have been prevented. My guess is thatit was probably afreak accident that was due to improper handling once it was found. Shoulda, woulda, coulda... none of it matters. It's all just monday morning quarter-backing anyhow. When your number up, your number is up and your ticket is getting punched.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Is there firearm registration in Utah? The article suggested that the police were searching for whom the firearms were registered...

If the previous poster is correct, then I would submit that the shops have to keep records of their sales, but technically, the government is not allowed to do so.

There is NO registration of guns in Utah. All sales from dealers involve the usual federal paperwork. Private sales require ZERO paperwork at all.

I suspect this is a case of very sloppy reporting and that what is actually happening is a standard forward trace of the gun--from manufacturer, to distributor, to dealer, to first buyer, to whatever he might remember--will be conducted to see if anything pops us.

xmirage2kx

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
Flintlock wrote:

There is NO registration of guns in Utah. All sales from dealers involve the usual federal paperwork. Private sales require ZERO paperwork at all.

I suspect this is a case of very sloppy reporting and that what is actually happening is a standard forward trace of the gun--from manufacturer, to distributor, to dealer, to first buyer, to whatever he might remember--will be conducted to see if anything pops us.
This would be the only way to do it here in utah. Odds are the police will just run the numbers and see if they were reported stolen.