• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are there any restrictions on non-standard pistols?

antispam540

imported post

For example, I have a 1911 with a compensator and extended mag. I normally wouldn't carry it because of the size, but I shoot better with it than I do with my small CC weapon. If I'm going to OC, it might as well be with the gun I'm best with, right?

mkl

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
For example, I have a 1911 with a compensator and extended mag. I normally wouldn't carry it because of the size, but I shoot better with it than I do with my small CC weapon. If I'm going to OC, it might as well be with the gun I'm best with, right?

You might want to include the location you are asking about, in case that area has any specific laws that regulate magazine capacity, etc. In Virginia without a CHP in certain areas, you can not carry a pistol with a magazine larger than 20 rounds, or with a threaded barrel for instance.

http://law.justia.com/virginia/codes/toc1802000/18.2-287.4.html