• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah Gun Law Pamphlet

swillden

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
Here is a little Utah gun law pamphlet that I made. I already gave it out to some non-gun co-workers and they really liked it. If you have any edits or suggestions for the next version, I would love to hear about them!

http://laurenstephens.net/uploads/9b878f76fd.pdf

Give it out to curious people when you are OCing!
Great job.

The only suggestion I have is to change the bolded word:

Gun owners, particularly those who carry their firearms -- openly or concealed -- have the responsibility to keep a cool head in confrontations. Do everything in your power to disarm the situation or retreat from the conflict, though retreat is not required as long as you are in the location legally.
I like "defuse", though "de-escalate", "pacify", or "calm" might be better. My rationale for suggesting the change is that in this context "disarm" to me meant "remove weapons", at first glance. I quickly understood that you meant one of the other meanings of the word, though.

colormered

imported post

Another suggestion, insert the words read and the as follows:

Be sure to read the rest of section 402 in order to better understand the justification of force.

swillden

imported post

colormered wrote:
Another suggestion, insert the words read and the as follows:

Be sure to read the rest of section 402 in order to better understand the justification of force.
I missed that one. I'd say "the" is optional, but the verb is pretty important.

ScottyT

imported post

I have reworded the places mentioned above, as well as caught a few spelling mistakes (the website I cut & pasted the Utah Constitution read "prooperty" instead of "property"!

The new version should be uploaded in the next couple days. Does anyone else see any problems/have any comments?

arme

imported post

Fantastic!!! I'm so glad to see this, I thought of creating one of my own after being harassed at a Chinese restaurant by a retired cop.

Uraijit

imported post

Commas here, perhaps...

is an inherent right, bestowed upon you by the creator and, protected by the Federal and State Government.

I recommend visiting the website listed on the back of this pamphlet, and becoming familiar with all the laws that apply to you.

blainenay

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
Here is a little Utah gun law pamphlet that I made. I already gave it out to some non-gun co-workers and they really liked it. If you have any edits or suggestions for the next version, I would love to hear about them!

http://laurenstephens.net/uploads/9b878f76fd.pdf

Give it out to curious people when you are OCing!

Nice pamphlet! I made a more extensive handout for my concelaed firearms classes. But, it's too big for giving "out to curious people when you are OCing".

http://www.30-06.org/utah_ccw_laws.pdf

ScottyT

imported post

I went through and made a lot of the edits posted here and at UCC. I also cleaned up some spelling and spacing issues as well. If someone could post this link on the same thread over at UCC I would appreciate it, as I do not have access to UCC here at work.

http://upload2.net/page/download/O7tNuN4j2xD7say/Utah+Gun+Law.pdf.html

Sorry for all the ads on the upload page, I don't really know good places that have PDF hosting. Just keep hitting the skip button at the bottom of the ads.