• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new ?? sign at wallyworld

Erus

imported post

Happened to stumble into the Wally World @ Nellis & Stewart.. easily the "scummiest" version of WM I have been in in a while.. and noticed this sign posted on the inner door. I was halfway thourgh saying hi to the ancient gretter and turned around and walked out before he noticed my sidearm. The next wm up the road was cleaner anyway. Maybe I should have stayed and argued.. but I was not in the mood and in kind of a hurry.

Just thought it was interesting.. I have not seen anything like this on any other WM in town. (vegas)

Erus

Whooops.. wrong pic. bonehead.

(but the "wrong" one is funny too....)

Attachments

• WWnoguns.jpg
    WWnoguns.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 351

CowboyKen

imported post

Of course, if you carry concealed (with a permit), the sign is meaningless.

Ken

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What's the real point of these signs?

I ignore the signs too, but what if....

If you're unarmed, would you want an armed but untrained citizen with an itchy trigger finger (and completely legal) to engage a criminal, where there missed shot might hit you, or might start a shoot out in which the criminal's shots hits you? I admit, personally, I put more trust in a legally armed citizen than an unarmed citizen, but there's always that little doubt in the back of my mind that if the SHTF, whether your weapon is an asset to me, or a liability.

I imagine part of the reason these signs show up is that businesses would rather be robbed and have no one get hurt or killed than have armed citizens stop a robbery, but doing so in a gun battle, where many are at risk. They lose a couple thousand bucks in a robbery, but personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits from victims, especially against retail giants like Walmart, are much more expensive. Not to mention negative press...three dead civilians is much worse than a robbery.

The sign may be nothing more than a lawyer's way to preempt any potential civil actions from crime victims. Reasonable people don't honestly believe criminals will obey the sign, the store knows that if you're CC they probably won't even know. For those of us who OC daily, it's obviously a problem, and I agree with OP, turn and walk away. I already have to mentally prepare myself to visit a Walmart, it's a painful experience that even my wife agrees is rarely worth the trouble. So if I do find myself with no choice but to shop there, I'm not in any mood to banter with some greeter, store manager, or clueless security guy.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't disagree that the sign infringes upon my rights, in the name of protecting me, while actually putting me at higher risk by attracting the criminal element.

So my question is, what is the REAL intent of the sign? For the most part, lawyers aren't dumb. No reasonable person expects the sign to have any effect on stopping crime, so if a business understands this won't stop criminals, but puts the sign up anyway, there has to be some other motivation.

I think you may be right BobCav. It's so simple --- If you feel safe, you'll want to shop here. Interesting... "We're going to put you more at risk, ignore your god-given American-protected rights, and try to make you feel safer in the process...to make a buck." That sounds about right.

Lew

imported post

If a robber shoots up the place, they can say, "my what a tragedy, wrought by a terrible person with an evil gun. What could have been done?"

If a shopper accidentally shoots a bystander, they can say, "my what a tragedy, wrought by a fool with an evil gun. If only they had just cooperated."

If a shopper successfully engages a robber and saves the day, they can say, "slow news day today, let's look at the weather."

Vegas_Dave

imported post

Very interesting. I used to live right down by that Wallyworld. It is absolutely the least friendly Walmart that I have ever been in. I remember a few years ago a guy was robbed outside and was killed by the robber right in the parking lot.

Nonetheless, I wonder if this will be something we start seeing at other Walmarts. I have been OC'ing at the Super WalMart on Sunset without any problem.

Would it be a good idea for someone here to go into the offending WalMart and ask to talk to the manager about the sign???

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It probably wouldn't help. But I have read elsewhere on this forum that the corporate policy of Walmart is to follow state law on firearms. If the state allows them to be carried openly, Walmart does too. If the state allows them to be carrier concealed, Walmart does too.

It explains why none of us have ever had an issue at most Walmarts, and why the photo of the sign at this particular store looks like it was made with a home computer and color printer, and is not an official Walmart sign (where's the smiley guy?)

CowboyKen

imported post

I am confused. Don't they sell firearms and ammunition in that store? Maybe someone should point that out.

Ken

Erus

imported post

I used to live closer to the wm on sunset.. and the new one on boulder hywy. Now I am halfway between the one on nellis @ stewart and the one further north on nellis.

Sunset sells both long guns and ammo, no problem OCing there.. bldr hwy sells ammo, no firearms.. still no problem OCing.. I have not yet checked the nellis & stweart Sporting goods section so I do not know if they sell either or not.

I guess I will, when I have time, go ask the manager about the sign.. and will post the reply when I do.

Erus

schizrade

imported post

Sounds like a problem in Vegas. I was at that Wal Mart once while on business. WOW, what a dump of an area.