Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recommend a CHP class in NOVA?

Post imported post

I'd prefer to give my business to a fellow VCDL member if possible.

Thank you.

MB

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

What kind of training are you looking for? Very Basic, Basic or Advanced?

Post imported post

Basic

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

For basic instruction I would recommend NRA courses, Piedmont NRA instructors are good and many VCDL members are instructors. I would suggest some others but it might be a conflict of interest.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Our Basic Firearms Safety course is $60 and we also have a $99 special going for the combo package of the Safety and Concealed Carry Class, if you want to come to Richmond. You can check out our site at www.proactiveshooters.com

Jim

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Check out Pourshot. Bohdi liked his Utah course of instruction and is a member of VCDL.

From a post in another thread:

Because some of you have asked - here is the post that went out for the next class...

Hey all!

The April Classes were great! From the comments I have received everyone had a great time. (now I am wondering if they have signed up for the VA Alert yet!)

Looking at the calender and trying to figure out how the summer is going to play out, I have decided to schedule just one set of classes for the time being. That is in early June.

If you, or someone you know, wants in please let me know as soon as possible.

If you want a safety class for any reason to include applying for a Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun in Virginia, you only need to attend one 6 hour class. If you want a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit you only need to attend one DIFFERENT 6 hour class.

Virginia (Saturday class)
    2008 – June 7th 10AM to 5PM (lunch 1PM to 2PM (approximately))

To sign up for the Utah class it is requested that you either HAVE a permit from your home state or at least currently QUALIFY for a Virginia permit. Also note that there IS a range requirement for the Utah Class.

Utah (Sunday class)
    2008 – June 8th Noon to 6PM (no lunch)

Classes are held in the North Stafford area at a couple of different locations. A couple of days before the class, directions will be provided to those who have registered,

The cost is $100.00 (cash) paid the day of the class.

However, prepayment (check received at least 7 calendar days prior to the class / Money Order received at least 3 calendar days prior to the class) gets you a $25.00 discount on the course fee, a nicer printed certificate instead of a hand written one, and a guaranteed seat in the class.

To prepay send an email so we will know to expect something from you and include answers to the questions below.

Then send a check or money order to:

Bruce Jackson
    PO Box 397
    Garrisonville, VA 22463

Include a note with:
    Name, as you want it on the certificate
    Address
    Best phone number
    Best email address
    Basic description of shooting experience
    The date of the class you wish to take.
    Basic description of what you would like to learn/cover
    How you found out about the class

AND---IF YOU WANT TO TAKE A UTAH CLASS…
    Do you have a 9mm or 38 special gun and ammo to use?
    Or do you need to rent it ($15 extra)?
    And will you be needing fingerprint cards ($1 extra)?

A confirmation email will be sent to you when payment is received.

Class sizes will be limited based on the size of the room.

If you have any questions please drop me an email and include your phone number and best time(s) to call. It is usually easier then typing.

Also, if the dates I set are not convenient for you, please consider getting a group together. We can negotiate the date, place, and costs.

Thanks,

Bruce Jackson
    NRA / BCI Certified Instructor
    4permits@gmail.com

The thread http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...159302#p159302

Post imported post

Another recommendation for Pourshot. I took his course at Shooters Paradise. Great course with lots of information. Definitely worth the money.

My buddy also took his basic pistol course at Gilberts Range in Lorton and said he liked it.

Post imported post

I could be wrong but I believe..

If you have a DD 214, Hunter's Safety Course or a valid CCW/CHP/LTCW from another state you have already satisfied the States requirement for training.

Not telling youto for gotraining, just informing.

Please reviewVA codes/case lawpertaining to firearms and personal defense for yourself whether you receive formal training or not.

EDIT:
    misspelling
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:

If you have a DD 214, Hunter's Safety Course or a valid CCW/CHP/LTCW from another state you have already satisfied the States requirement for training.

Please reviewVA codes/case lawpertaining to firearms and personal defense for yourself whether you receive formal training or not.

EDIT:
    misspelling
    Your right but there are things that can be learned from an instructor, Pourshot did a great job demonstrating weaver stance for the Utah class that my VA NRA instructor at NRA HQ did not...

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    Agent19 wrote:
    Edit:
    emphasises
    Your right but there are things that can be learned from an instructor, Pourshot did a great job demonstrating weaver stance for the Utah class that my VA NRA instructor at NRA HQ did not...
    Some classes assumeyou already know how to shoot and are just teaching you the law.
    I've even heard of classes/instructors that clearly state they aren't there to teach you to shoot and that you should have covered that prior to attempting to qualify to get your CHP/CCW/LTCF.

Not all instructors are in the same league.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    bohdi wrote:
    Agent19 wrote:
    Edit:
    emphasises
    Some classes assumeyou already know how to shoot and are just teaching you the law.
    I've even heard of classes/instructors that clearly state they aren't there to teach you to shoot and that you should have covered that prior to attempting to qualify to get your CHP/CCW/LTCF.

Not all instructors are in the same league.
    exactly.....NRA HQ (while cheaper than Blue Ridge) said almost exactly that - we are not lawyers, it is up to you to know the law. Gee, thanks. That was helpful. Though that's what got me here so I suppose I ought to thank them, lol.

Post imported post

Can anyone recommend a good TACTICAL class, not just a CHP class? I'd prefer to get some "advanced" training for dealing with situations seeing as I already have my CHP.

I know Blackwater is just across the line in NC, anything closer in VA?

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a good TACTICAL class, not just a CHP class? I'd prefer to get some "advanced" training for dealing with situations seeing as I already have my CHP.

We have considered offering some type of tactical course but I'm undecided about the content. Alot of the requests that I've had come from customers who want to know "secret police ****" and as a former LEO, I have a problem with teaching that to civilians. I think that the police should have better training than the average Joe. When I do private lessons, I do go over drawing from the concealed holster and stuff, but I'm not really sure what it is that poeple are really looking for. If you can provide some insight into what type of training you (and others) would be seeking, I'd be interested in putting such a class out to our customers.

ps - I attended 2 weeks of handgun training at Blackwater and it is a very impressive program.

Jim

Proactive Shooters
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    I just noticed this thread, or I would have piped up earlier.

Go to http://www.nvtactical.com for Northern Virginia Tactical in Leesburg.

For basic stuff, try http://www.fpftraining.com/index.html, I think down at Quantico: cheap and good.

For more tactical, go to www.fnhusa.com. I know the head trainer, there, who is the same guy from L'burg, above.

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    hsmith wrote:

We have considered offering some type of tactical course but I'm undecided about the content. Alot of the requests that I've had come from customers who want to know "secret police ****" and as a former LEO, I have a problem with teaching that to civilians. I think that the police should have better training than the average Joe. When I do private lessons, I do go over drawing from the concealed holster and stuff, but I'm not really sure what it is that poeple are really looking for. If you can provide some insight into what type of training you (and others) would be seeking, I'd be interested in putting such a class out to our customers.

ps - I attended 2 weeks of handgun training at Blackwater and it is a very impressive program.

Jim

Proactive Shooters
    I will disagree with you on that, but I do think that people asking for "secret police ****" shows they don't know what they want.

A good course teaching threat assessment, how to deal with threats, tactical shooting, shooting while moving, shooting weak handed and so on are a good sell. I know that is what I am looking for.

Post imported post

nemo wrote:
    hsmith wrote:
    I just noticed this thread, or I would have piped up earlier.

Go to http://www.nvtactical.com for Northern Virginia Tactical in Leesburg.

For basic stuff, try http://www.fpftraining.com/index.html, I think down at Quantico: cheap and good.

For more tactical, go to http://www.fnhusa.com. I know the head trainer, there, who is the same guy from L'burg, above.
    THanks for the links I will look into it.

Post imported post

A good course teaching threat assessment, how to deal with threats, tactical shooting, shooting while moving, shooting weak handed and so on are a good sell. I know that is what I am looking for.
    hsmith - excellent topics.....I'll look into the possibilty of offering something along those lines. If you have any other topic suggestions, feel free to drop me a line with your ideas.

Jim
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    exactly.....
    So, you basically paid for a class that you didn't need to meet states requirements for your CHP(you have a DD214) and didn't satisfy your needs.
    WOW! Too bad you can't get a refund.

Did they tell you before handwhat the class covered, didn't cover?

Quality training is worth the money, know what you are paying for.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    THanks for the links I will look into it.
    If you want, we can talk about it on LC OC day.

Uh, you ARE one of those guys on the Loudoun County Open Carry thread, aren't you?

Well, if not, then we won't talk about it!

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    bohdi wrote:
    exactly.....
    So, you basically paid for a class that you didn't need to meet states requirements for your CHP(you have a DD214) and didn't satisfy your needs.

Yeah, I should have asked more questions. I thought the class would have covered laws more and had more resources you could refer to, but they basically told me, Talk to the state police. Greeeeat. Blue Ridge was about $200 more for their class, and had more requirements to pass.

Post imported post

Nemo, did you get your CHP when you were living in Winchester? If so, how long did it take for you to receive it?

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

In addition to pourshot (4permits@gmail.com) ...

learn2shoot (http://www.discovershooting.net, and learn2shoot@gmail.com) is a VCDL member and has posted to this forum, though not in a long time

VCDL President is an instructor, but his classes are usually closer to the Richmond area.

These three are also all certified Utah instructors.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    Go to the source!

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

The applicant shall demonstrate competence with a handgun by one of the following:

1. Completing a hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state;

4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition approved by the Department of State Police or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;

7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or

9. Completing any other firearms training that the Virginia Department of State Police deems adequate.

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:

I always try to let them know they do not need it for their permit application, but then i turn around and tell them that I am sure they could greatly benefit from the training. Those that take it leave with a smile.

The reason I do this is having a DD214 means little to me. When I was in the Navy I shot 10 rounds from a 1911 chambered in 22LR in boot camp and 40 rounds with a .45 acp as part of the Nuclear Weapons guard Force 4 years later. I shot mostly at everybodyelse's target that day. I had 1 hole in mine, and they qualified me. Oh, and 1 round of trap and3clays off the fantail.

That was all the shooting I did in 7 years of active duty. Sad that I can get a permit with a DD214 with that as a shooting resume!

Post imported post

pourshot wrote:
    Sad that I can get a permit with a DD214 with that as a shooting resume!
    No, what's sad is that you have to get a permit at all...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast