• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone recommend a CHP class in NOVA?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

For basic instruction I would recommend NRA courses, Piedmont NRA instructors are good and many VCDL members are instructors. I would suggest some others but it might be a conflict of interest.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Check out Pourshot. Bohdi liked his Utah course of instruction and is a member of VCDL.

From a post in another thread:

Because some of you have asked - here is the post that went out for the next class...

Hey all!

The April Classes were great! From the comments I have received everyone had a great time. (now I am wondering if they have signed up for the VA Alert yet!)

Looking at the calender and trying to figure out how the summer is going to play out, I have decided to schedule just one set of classes for the time being. That is in early June.

If you, or someone you know, wants in please let me know as soon as possible.

If you want a safety class for any reason to include applying for a Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun in Virginia, you only need to attend one 6 hour class. If you want a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit you only need to attend one DIFFERENT 6 hour class.

Virginia (Saturday class)
2008 – June 7th 10AM to 5PM (lunch 1PM to 2PM (approximately))

To sign up for the Utah class it is requested that you either HAVE a permit from your home state or at least currently QUALIFY for a Virginia permit. Also note that there IS a range requirement for the Utah Class.

Utah (Sunday class)
2008 – June 8th Noon to 6PM (no lunch)

Classes are held in the North Stafford area at a couple of different locations. A couple of days before the class, directions will be provided to those who have registered,

The cost is $100.00 (cash) paid the day of the class.

However, prepayment (check received at least 7 calendar days prior to the class / Money Order received at least 3 calendar days prior to the class) gets you a $25.00 discount on the course fee, a nicer printed certificate instead of a hand written one, and a guaranteed seat in the class.

To prepay send an email so we will know to expect something from you and include answers to the questions below.

Then send a check or money order to:

Bruce Jackson
PO Box 397
Garrisonville, VA 22463

Include a note with:
Name, as you want it on the certificate
Address
Best phone number
Best email address
Basic description of shooting experience
The date of the class you wish to take.
Basic description of what you would like to learn/cover
How you found out about the class

AND---IF YOU WANT TO TAKE A UTAH CLASS…
Do you have a 9mm or 38 special gun and ammo to use?
Or do you need to rent it ($15 extra)?
And will you be needing fingerprint cards ($1 extra)?

A confirmation email will be sent to you when payment is received.

Class sizes will be limited based on the size of the room.

If you have any questions please drop me an email and include your phone number and best time(s) to call. It is usually easier then typing.

Also, if the dates I set are not convenient for you, please consider getting a group together. We can negotiate the date, place, and costs.

Thanks,

Bruce Jackson
NRA / BCI Certified Instructor
4permits@gmail.com

The thread http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=8415&forum_id=54&jump_to=159302#p159302

eyesopened

imported post

Another recommendation for Pourshot. I took his course at Shooters Paradise. Great course with lots of information. Definitely worth the money.

My buddy also took his basic pistol course at Gilberts Range in Lorton and said he liked it.

Marco

imported post

I could be wrong but I believe..

If you have a DD 214, Hunter's Safety Course or a valid CCW/CHP/LTCW from another state you have already satisfied the States requirement for training.

Not telling youto for gotraining, just informing.

Please reviewVA codes/case lawpertaining to firearms and personal defense for yourself whether you receive formal training or not.

EDIT:
misspelling

bohdi

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I could be wrong but I believe..

If you have a DD 214, Hunter's Safety Course or a valid CCW/CHP/LTCW from another state you have already satisfied the States requirement for training.

Please reviewVA codes/case lawpertaining to firearms and personal defense for yourself whether you receive formal training or not.

EDIT:
misspelling
Your right but there are things that can be learned from an instructor, Pourshot did a great job demonstrating weaver stance for the Utah class that my VA NRA instructor at NRA HQ did not...

Marco

imported post

bohdi wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
Edit:
emphasises
Your right but there are things that can be learned from an instructor, Pourshot did a great job demonstrating weaver stance for the Utah class that my VA NRA instructor at NRA HQ did not...

Some classes assumeyou already know how to shoot and are just teaching you the law.
I've even heard of classes/instructors that clearly state they aren't there to teach you to shoot and that you should have covered that prior to attempting to qualify to get your CHP/CCW/LTCF.

Not all instructors are in the same league.

bohdi

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
bohdi wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
Edit:
emphasises

Some classes assumeyou already know how to shoot and are just teaching you the law.
I've even heard of classes/instructors that clearly state they aren't there to teach you to shoot and that you should have covered that prior to attempting to qualify to get your CHP/CCW/LTCF.

Not all instructors are in the same league.
exactly.....NRA HQ (while cheaper than Blue Ridge) said almost exactly that - we are not lawyers, it is up to you to know the law. Gee, thanks. That was helpful. Though that's what got me here so I suppose I ought to thank them, lol.

hsmith

imported post

Can anyone recommend a good TACTICAL class, not just a CHP class? I'd prefer to get some "advanced" training for dealing with situations seeing as I already have my CHP.

I know Blackwater is just across the line in NC, anything closer in VA?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

hsmith wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good TACTICAL class, not just a CHP class? I'd prefer to get some "advanced" training for dealing with situations seeing as I already have my CHP.

We have considered offering some type of tactical course but I'm undecided about the content. Alot of the requests that I've had come from customers who want to know "secret police shit" and as a former LEO, I have a problem with teaching that to civilians. I think that the police should have better training than the average Joe. When I do private lessons, I do go over drawing from the concealed holster and stuff, but I'm not really sure what it is that poeple are really looking for. If you can provide some insight into what type of training you (and others) would be seeking, I'd be interested in putting such a class out to our customers.

ps - I attended 2 weeks of handgun training at Blackwater and it is a very impressive program.

Jim

Proactive Shooters

nemo

imported post

hsmith wrote:

I just noticed this thread, or I would have piped up earlier.

Go to http://www.nvtactical.com for Northern Virginia Tactical in Leesburg.

For basic stuff, try [url]http://www.fpftraining.com/index.html[/url], I think down at Quantico: cheap and good.

For more tactical, go to www.fnhusa.com. I know the head trainer, there, who is the same guy from L'burg, above.

hsmith

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
hsmith wrote:

We have considered offering some type of tactical course but I'm undecided about the content. Alot of the requests that I've had come from customers who want to know "secret police shit" and as a former LEO, I have a problem with teaching that to civilians. I think that the police should have better training than the average Joe. When I do private lessons, I do go over drawing from the concealed holster and stuff, but I'm not really sure what it is that poeple are really looking for. If you can provide some insight into what type of training you (and others) would be seeking, I'd be interested in putting such a class out to our customers.

ps - I attended 2 weeks of handgun training at Blackwater and it is a very impressive program.

Jim

Proactive Shooters
I will disagree with you on that, but I do think that people asking for "secret police shit" shows they don't know what they want.

A good course teaching threat assessment, how to deal with threats, tactical shooting, shooting while moving, shooting weak handed and so on are a good sell. I know that is what I am looking for.

hsmith

imported post

nemo wrote:
hsmith wrote:

I just noticed this thread, or I would have piped up earlier.

Go to http://www.nvtactical.com for Northern Virginia Tactical in Leesburg.

For basic stuff, try [url]http://www.fpftraining.com/index.html[/url], I think down at Quantico: cheap and good.

For more tactical, go to http://www.fnhusa.com. I know the head trainer, there, who is the same guy from L'burg, above.
THanks for the links I will look into it.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

A good course teaching threat assessment, how to deal with threats, tactical shooting, shooting while moving, shooting weak handed and so on are a good sell. I know that is what I am looking for.

hsmith - excellent topics.....I'll look into the possibilty of offering something along those lines. If you have any other topic suggestions, feel free to drop me a line with your ideas.

Jim

Marco

imported post

bohdi wrote:
exactly.....
So, you basically paid for a class that you didn't need to meet states requirements for your CHP(you have a DD214) and didn't satisfy your needs.
WOW! Too bad you can't get a refund.

Did they tell you before handwhat the class covered, didn't cover?

Quality training is worth the money, know what you are paying for.

nemo

imported post

hsmith wrote:
THanks for the links I will look into it.

If you want, we can talk about it on LC OC day.

Uh, you ARE one of those guys on the Loudoun County Open Carry thread, aren't you?

Well, if not, then we won't talk about it!

bohdi

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
bohdi wrote:
exactly.....
So, you basically paid for a class that you didn't need to meet states requirements for your CHP(you have a DD214) and didn't satisfy your needs.
WOW! Too bad you can't get a refund.

Did they tell you before handwhat the class covered, didn't cover?

Quality training is worth the money, know what you are paying for.
Yeah, I should have asked more questions. I thought the class would have covered laws more and had more resources you could refer to, but they basically told me, Talk to the state police. Greeeeat. Blue Ridge was about $200 more for their class, and had more requirements to pass.