• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone recommend a CHP class in NOVA?

phixion

imported post

Nemo, did you get your CHP when you were living in Winchester? If so, how long did it take for you to receive it?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

In addition to pourshot (4permits@gmail.com) ...

learn2shoot (http://www.discovershooting.net, and learn2shoot@gmail.com) is a VCDL member and has posted to this forum, though not in a long time

VCDL President is an instructor, but his classes are usually closer to the Richmond area.

These three are also all certified Utah instructors.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I could be wrong but I believe..

Go to the source!

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

The applicant shall demonstrate competence with a handgun by one of the following:

1. Completing a hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state;

4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition approved by the Department of State Police or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;

7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or

9. Completing any other firearms training that the Virginia Department of State Police deems adequate.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
So, you basically paid for a class that you didn't need to meet states requirements for your CHP(you have a DD214) and didn't satisfy your needs.
WOW! Too bad you can't get a refund.

Did they tell you before handwhat the class covered, didn't cover?

Quality training is worth the money, know what you are paying for.

I always try to let them know they do not need it for their permit application, but then i turn around and tell them that I am sure they could greatly benefit from the training. Those that take it leave with a smile.

The reason I do this is having a DD214 means little to me. When I was in the Navy I shot 10 rounds from a 1911 chambered in 22LR in boot camp and 40 rounds with a .45 acp as part of the Nuclear Weapons guard Force 4 years later. I shot mostly at everybodyelse's target that day. I had 1 hole in mine, and they qualified me. Oh, and 1 round of trap and3clays off the fantail.

That was all the shooting I did in 7 years of active duty. Sad that I can get a permit with a DD214 with that as a shooting resume!

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Sad that I can get a permit with a DD214 with that as a shooting resume!
I agree. I've never had a DD214 or have taken a hunter safety course but from what I hear, that training is nowhere near as complete as what's needed. Most folks who have taken hunter safety tell me that they saw the parts of a shotgun and were told "dont shoot yourself". The rest of the class was "wear blaze orange and dont fall out of a tree stand". Sad.....

Marco

imported post

pourshot wrote:
Go to the source!
DD214 means little to me.

I'm with Roscoe on this one.

[line]
I knew the info was correct and the source but didn't feel like looking it up, soI worded it that way.

[line]

Do your research, ask questions before paying for a class.

As my other post states not telling anyone to for go training, if they need it.
[line]
I'm glad my military experience wasn't asrelaxed as others have posted here and in other threads;)

opencarrypalmtrees

chantilly virginia blue ridge arsenal

I got my training at blue ridge arsenal, they weren't too bad you sit at a table and listen to an instructor for a day course and after that you do a live fire test to see if you qualify. I recommend doing target practice first before going to take the test and you'll be fine as long as you listen in the course you will do okay when you take the end of the day test. :)

Blk97F150

I got my training at blue ridge arsenal, they weren't too bad you sit at a table and listen to an instructor for a day course and after that you do a live fire test to see if you qualify. I recommend doing target practice first before going to take the test and you'll be fine as long as you listen in the course you will do okay when you take the end of the day test. :)

Just curious.... if you realize this thread is from 2008? :lol:

Glad your training went well. Proactive Shooters does some classes in NOVA that are usually very well received (in addition to their Richmond area schedule...).

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

Glad your training went well. Proactive Shooters does some classes in NOVA that are usually very well received (in addition to their Richmond area schedule...).

Hey cool, a new thread about training classes...lol. I took mine at the NRA range. It wasn't horrible and the instruction was decent. During the range time, my instructor and I took turns shooting my new Beretta.

user

Accomplished Advocate
You can take a look at the NRA website under "training and education" and look at the list of courses available in your area. Look for the one that says, "Basic Pistol". After you've done that course, take the one called, "Advanced Pistol". You can get a concealed handgun permit after the first one, but you really need to know how to work the gun. They're really, seriously dangerous if you don't know enough about how they work and how to work them. Once you've loaded cartridges into a firearm, there is no way that it can be made to be "safe" - you have to know enough about how to handle yourself while you're holding the firearm in order to prevent "shouldn't happen situations". Firearms are mechanical devices and they will therefore fail to function properly - it's not a question of "if", it's a question of "when". You can optimize safety only by self-discipline and personal responsibility. So my advice is, start at the beginning and learn all you can about how your gun works, and how to hold, store, and use it as safely as possible. It is well worth the money.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Thanks for the mention, Blk97F150!

We'll also be introducing a new live fire class here in the very near future. Stay tuned!