• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fun with ferries

Sa45auto

imported post

surfj9009 wrote:
techinally you keep the smartest of us mariners below decks in the engine rooms. The mates and captains just have to follow a line on a map, its us engineers who keep it running safe. I have seen several instances if a ship gettng beat to hell because the captain was driving.

Can you say Exxon Valdiez?

surfj9009

imported post

BobCav wrote:
surfj9009 wrote:
techinally you keep the smartest of us mariners below decks in the engine rooms. The mates and captains just have to follow a line on a map, its us engineers who keep it running safe. I have seen several instances if a ship gettng beat to hell because the captain was driving.
AMEN Brother! 20 yeas in aUSN Engine Room making 7.5 MW of electrical power, 100,000 Shaft HP and over 1,000,000 ft lbs of torque - enough to make the 8900 ton USS Arleigh Burke leave a 15 ft rooster tail!
You damn USN guys get all the best ships!!! If I would have known when I was younger that I would be sailing on ships now........

heresolong

imported post

BobCav wrote:
AMEN Brother! 20 yeas in aUSN Engine Room making 7.5 MW of electrical power, 100,000 Shaft HP and over 1,000,000 ft lbs of torque - enough to make the 8900 ton USS Arleigh Burke leave a 15 ft rooster tail!
I'll see your 7.5 MW and raise you to 64MW, see your 100,000HP and raise you to 1,040,000 HP, (not sure what the torque on CVN-72 was, its been a long time and I had to look the other stuff up). Never raised a rooster tail on the 100,000 ton Lincoln although I hear the Enterprise did when they had the speed screws (before they took them off to stop the skipper from racing people).

Thanks for your service, btw.

amlevin

imported post

heresolong wrote:
BobCav wrote:
I'll see your 7.5 MW and raise you to 64MW, see your 100,000HP and raise you to 1,040,000 HP, (not sure what the torque on CVN-72 was, its been a long time and I had to look the other stuff up). Never raised a rooster tail on the 100,000 ton Lincoln although I hear the Enterprise did when they had the speed screws (before they took them off to stop the skipper from racing people).

Ok, OK, but how many Water Skiers were you able to tow???

67390FE

imported post

My haze grey days are still the most memorable. As a side note, my little brother was an Engineman on a 36' Seafox, with twin Silver 92 Detroits (out of Little Creek VA). He said it pulled skiers with ease.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

heresolong wrote:
BobCav wrote:

We are on a gun forum and you guys are talking speed... What about the 5 inch & 16 inch guns ??

sailor628

imported post

It's incredible how vernerable our merchant fleet really is. Like sufj9009 I am also a merchant mariner. The company I work for doesn't allow firearms onboard any of their vessels, probably in the name of "safety". We hold security drills yet the only thing we are armed with is a Vessel Security Plan and a few magnetic signs that declare we are operating at Marsec Level 1 (the lowest security level). In the event of an attack I will throw the three-ring binder that contains the Vessel Security Plan at the assailant. If that doesn't work I will slap them silly with the large Marsec signs. I wonder why my employer trusts me with multi-millions of equipment and multi-billions in liability yet they don't trust me with a firearm.

Also, I'm not so sure that the intelligence is in the engine room. How hard is it to walk around with a grease gun? :p

PavePusher

imported post

sailor628 wrote:
It's incredible how vernerable our merchant fleet really is. Like sufj9009 I am also a merchant mariner. The company I work for doesn't allow firearms onboard any of their vessels, probably in the name of "safety". We hold security drills yet the only thing we are armed with is a Vessel Security Plan and a few magnetic signs that declare we are operating at Marsec Level 1 (the lowest security level). In the event of an attack I will throw the three-ring binder that contains the Vessel Security Plan at the assailant. If that doesn't work I will slap them silly with the large Marsec signs. I wonder why my employer trusts me with multi-millions of equipment and multi-billions in liability yet they don't trust me with a firearm.

Also, I'm not so sure that the intelligence is in the engine room. How hard is it to walk around with a grease gun? :p

O.K., my turn to get the popcorn...

(Besides, if it can't hover or provide CAS, who cares... [so carriers technically could qualify]). AFSOC, baby!

Shy_Panda

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
O.K., my turn to get the popcorn...

(Besides, if it can't hover or provide CAS, who cares... [so carriers technically could qualify]). AFSOC, baby!

Ok, Ok, you guys can fly that's great and everything, but Army Aviation beats the air into submission!

Never realized how many service guys there were on here.

surfj9009

imported post

sailor628 wrote:

Grease gun huh? Um....is that a picture of a sailboat for your avatar?

Nuff said!!;)

Bear 45/70

imported post

surfj9009 wrote:
sailor628 wrote:

Nuff said!!;)
Everyone knows about rag sailors. They can't move unless there is a big wind blowin'
RoflLg.gif

surfj9009

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
surfj9009 wrote:
sailor628 wrote:

Nuff said!!;)
Everyone knows about rag sailors. They can't move unless there is a big wind blowin'
RoflLg.gif
+1:lol:

Trigger Dr

imported post

:celebrate:celebrateYeah and I'll bet that when SV wants to really move his boat, he has Bear come on board and TALK:celebrate:celebrate

surfj9009

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
:celebrate:celebrateYeah and I'll bet that when SV wants to really move his boat, he has Bear come on board and TALK:celebrate:celebrate
ooooooohhhhhhhh damn!!!!

I don't know ya bear, BUT THAT IS FUNNY.

Bear 45/70

imported post

surfj9009 wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:
ooooooohhhhhhhh damn!!!!

I don't know ya bear, BUT THAT IS FUNNY.

Yeah my brother was a rag sailor when he started out. I converted him finally but it was years.

This is my idea of boating.

At 95+ mph. On Green lake no less.

GreenLakeSportJsmaller.jpg

At 130+ mph.

ChampBoat2LiterV-6at125mph.jpg

Bear 45/70

imported post

sailor628 wrote:
That does look fun but with fuel at $4.50 gallon, I'll take my sailboat. :p
Well, at 25 gallons an hour it could be a problem, except even with a 5 minute warm up, the race is over in 8 minutes max. Just not that bad. Cost more to get to and from than race. Oh yeah I wish race fuel was $4.50 a gallon.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

You all let me know when you want to race your pet stinkpot to hawaii. I'll carry a standard load of fuel for my auxillary, and you fill your fuel tanks. Let me know when you run out of gas or break down. I may come and tow you :D

If I wanted to go fast on the water, I would get a hydrofoil trimaran. If I wanted to go really fast, I would get a jet airplane.:p